GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

do we need a Turbo Timer?

jeff_faye_lo

Autocross Newbie
I heard that we need to cool down the engine for a few minutes before we turn it off? and ppl sometimes install a turbo timer to force the fan to run for an extra 3mins after u turn off your car.

do we need to do the same thing for Gti?

thanks.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Well if you splice into your wiring harness to put it in --- it will void your warranty in a heart beat if you start to have electrical issues!
I worked for Audi and we refused to work on cars under warranty that had been spliced into to put the Turbo Timers in.

Don't do it!

BTW, if you use great synthetic oil and let the turbo cool down after "high speed sustained" runs it will be just fine.

Under normal driving... just shut her down (it's water and oil cooled).

Wild Hare

Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Yer welcome sir!

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
From other threads you'll read as well that due to the FSI engine, and the way the turbo system works on it, the requirement for a turbo timer to allow it to cool isn't necessary, reguardless of voiding warranty and so forth, obviously it dosn't hurt, but as I said not extremely necessary.

jeff_faye_lo

Autocross Newbie
no wonder I dont see any of you talking about cooling down the turbo stuff !!

which brand would u recommend for the synthetic oil then?

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
what about when the car is cold?? can you just crank and go?? sometimes im in a hurry and dont wait until the car warms up. ofcourse i dont gun the car when its cold

jeff_faye_lo

Autocross Newbie
blackmkv said:
what about when the car is cold?? can you just crank and go?? sometimes im in a hurry and dont wait until the car warms up. ofcourse i dont gun the car when its cold

I think warming up the car in winter is a must for any car on earth now?

correct me if there is new technology fixing this already.

Wild Hare

Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
blackmkv said:
Yes, if you are using a great synthetic oil - - no problem!

psyclone

Passed Driver's Ed
What about those of us with modded ECUs (Revo, APR, GIAC)? Any additional precautions needed for just driving around town, since the turbo is producing more boost and (presumably) working harder?

Hotty

For the joy of driving
As it has been mentioned before, the best oil for the Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI is
'Mobil 1 Super Syn 0W-40'. This is 100% synthetic oil, made of PAOs.

Although it is not necessary with the modern turbo-motor in the GTI, to let it run more than 30 sec. before turning off the motor (under normal driving conditions), it is still recommended to reduce speed for the last few kms and let the motor run 2-3 min. before turning it off, after long high-speed motor-way runs. A turbo timer is not necessary.

It is further recommended to warm up a cold motor by driving with low revs until the indicator shows 90 Degrees Celsius (194 Degrees Fahrenheit). Then, after about 10 km, the oil will be warm enough to push the motor over 3000 revs.

In a nut shell: Motor should be warmed before full throttle, and should be cooled before turned off.

Cheers

AndorGLI

18 and i'll still take U!
Car(s)
VW MKV GLI
yeah deff. turbo timer isn't a must.......... but would we need it if we get a BT upgrade

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the GTI have a pump that continues to cool the turbo after the car has been turned off? The reason you let the car idle is becausethe heat f the turbo can cook the oil in the lines surrounding the turbocharger, so you have to keep the oil moving while the turbo cools down. The pump should solve this issue.

Also, "high sustained speeds" isnt an issue. The turbo only realy spools and builds heat while under load, which happes during hard acceleration. Typically, an engine will run at roughly 20lbs of vacuum. Even a turbocharged vehicle, at a nice steady cruise, regardless of the speed, will remain roughly around 15-20 vacuum. So while sustained highway speeds aren't an issue, I would alteast recomend that you drive your car like a sane human being for the last few minutes or so.