GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing the whip antenna base?

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
Hey does anyone know how to remove the whip antenna base?

I'm getting a PKG 0 which comes with a whip-type antenna. I want to replace it with the OEM shark-fin type antenna---but I haven't found any instructions on how to do it. It's mostly for looks (I believe the FM antenna is baked into the rear glass windshield).

If anyone knows of any tuts out there, please drop a link. Thanks!

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
i think that you may have it backwards. the whip antenna is for the fm signal because you dont have sat radio with package 0. i believe that the shark fin antenna is for the sat radio and the FM antenna is baked on if you have sat radio. i could be wrong though.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
The sat cars have what is considered a diversity antenna system. They use two antennas and switch between the two based on whichever one is more powerful signal wise. There is one in the rear glass and one in the shark fin. The whip comes off the same as the shark fin. You have to drop the back half of the rear head liner. There is a bolt that holds the antenna on. Are you simply upgradeing your system to the factory sat? Or are you adding an aftermarket sat unit? The factory sat antenna has two sat plugs that wont work with aftermarkets unless you get an adapter...which I haven't been able to find yet.

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
loccusst said:
The sat cars have what is considered a diversity antenna system. They use two antennas and switch between the two based on whichever one is more powerful signal wise. There is one in the rear glass and one in the shark fin. The whip comes off the same as the shark fin. You have to drop the back half of the rear head liner. There is a bolt that holds the antenna on. Are you simply upgradeing your system to the factory sat? Or are you adding an aftermarket sat unit? The factory sat antenna has two sat plugs that wont work with aftermarkets unless you get an adapter...which I haven't been able to find yet.

Yeah, you're right. I looked at the service manuals and it looks like a lot of work getting all the interior trim out just to lower the rear portion of the headliner.

I'm doing it just so that I can get the OEM sharkfin antenna to replace the whip. (For the looks) I have no need for satellite radio. I don't know if it worth all the trouble now.

Have you got in there yet?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Haven't yet. I was curious if I could mod the Sat area though with the single plug(new) style sat antenna. Wasn't sure if it would go in the factory fin style or not.

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Since I don't listen to the radio, I took off the antenna. The radio still sounded decent to me though.
However, I listen to MP3s
:)

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Is the shark fin solid?? Does anyone know? I would like to put an aftermarket sat antenna in it.

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
loccusst said:
Is the shark fin solid?? Does anyone know? I would like to put an aftermarket sat antenna in it.

It's made from two pieces. The base and the top part. The base has a hole in it where the bolt from the fin comes through. The bolt from the fin goes into a hole on the roof and there's a nut that secures the bolt from inside (under the headliner).

The wires from the fin itself get threaded on a slit on the metal bolt itself and thru the hold in the headliner.

Sorry I can't post pictures because the manual is copyrighted.

I intend to perfom this install around August. If no one has posted pictures by then, I'll do a photo write-up.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
ewoo said:
I want to replace it with the OEM shark-fin type antenna---

Wow, and I would pay much extra to keep this thing off my car, and here you are putting it on! Appearance must not be important to you.

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
NorthGTI said:
Wow, and I would pay much extra to keep this thing off my car, and here you are putting it on! Appearance must not be important to you.

Hahaha. I like the look of it. To each his own, I supppose. :redface:

I know guys in Europe who want to buy US spec front bumpers so that they can have the orange side-markers!

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
But is the top part of the fin hallow? I want to put the sat antenna from XM in it.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Just put a shorter "stubby" whip on from another make amd model. I believe I read it is a direct swap out and that you just screw a different one in. Someone on the site just put a hummer antenna on his. Cost like 20 bucks or something.:iono: