GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying MFD2 Sat Nav from eBay

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
I've done some quick research on the MFD2 units as I am looking to purchase one to retrofit it into my car which is currently equipped with the RCD300.

Got a few questions that I hope you guys could answer/confirm:

1) Does it matter which country the MFD2 came from?

I am in Australia, so would there be a difference in purchasing one from a certain part of Europe or the US? In some cases I have heard that they are country specific in that other country's map cd/dvds wont work? True/False?

2) Has anyone purchased one from eBay without hassle? Is there a recommended seller on eBay?

I usually don't mind purchasing things from overseas but eBay is always abit risky, I'd feel more comfortable if I was located in Europe but Australia is a long way away. Could anyone share some experiences with purchasing these? (Im talking about experiences specific to purchasing the MFD2 from eBay, not regular eBay purchases).

3) These are straight plug and play as the sat nav obtains all the necessary data regarding speed etc from the CAN BUS? All you need is to connect up the GPS anntena and mount it somewhere? True/False?

Hope someone can shed some light for me, appreciate it guys!

AJW

Go Kart Newbie
Sublyme - this link -
http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/170547/ShowPost.aspx
Is the best how-to-install a Sat-nav that I've seen.

If you where buying one I'd get it from the Europe - make sure it's CD based not DVD.
If you need a CD let me know :wink:
I picked up my car last week and have the Sat-Nav factory installed.
One thing you wont have is the MFD between the Tacho & Speedo - this intergates with the Sat-nav & can show you the street your in while your driving.
Without this if you want to know the street you have to use the "cross-hairs" on the Sat-nav unit.
It also shows you the direction to turn in the MFD, but this is replicated on the Sat-nav unit.
The other thing I'm not sure about is if they also have a separate compass module in the car somewhere or if it's in the Sat-nav unit.
Thought I'd read it was external but can't find the info.

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
Thanks AJW! I was thinking about how I was going to get a map if I did get one :)

I realised I wouldnt have the full MFD but Im willing to do without that since I can just look at the sat nav screen anyway to get a good idea of where I am going.

Is there a reason why u prefer CD over DVD?

AJW

Go Kart Newbie
I don't think they have produced DVD maps for these units yet.

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
hmm really? so all the new sat nav units in the Aussie GTIs arent the DVD version? If thats the case I'll keep an eye out for the CD unit.

By the way, do you know if it plays audio CDs as well? (Without the armrest stacker)

AJW

Go Kart Newbie
Yes - all the units are CD based.
Just had a look the Sat-nav will play Audio CD's.
But it means you can't play CD's and have the Nav working at the same time.
It's not a big deal because you can put an I-pod adapter into the CD changer input on the Sat-nav and use that instead of the CD changer.
I've been looking at using this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-iPod-interface-integration-kit-New-Golf-MK5-GTI-TDI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ1498QQitemZ9718502407QQrdZ1
Which will allow me to keep my CD changer as well.
I'm going to try to install it where the bottle opener is.

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
I was thinking of using an ipod instead of a CD changer also, well I guess that sorts that out then. Now I just have to find a reasonably priced MFD2 on eBay.

Can't access eBay from work at the moment but apparently you can get a TV tuner to work with the sat nav as well? That'd be awesome too!

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
Thats the part in between the speedo and tacho, the screen which displays your odometer, how much fuel you have left, your average speed etc. The cars that get sat nav from the factory have a larger screen.

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
buy a euro dash with sat nav also

problem solved.

u found any prices on doing this yet?

SSS_Hoon

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
haven't seen a euro dash for sale yet, though the sat nav sells for around $1-1.5K AUD

I'll probably get it after I get the rest of my sound system installed first though ie. amp, speakers, sub.

SSS_Hoon - I noticed on your thread you were wanting to hook up an amp, like others have suggested, you can just use a LOC but im going to be using the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1 unit which is basically an OEM signal processor. It will either be that or the Audiocontrol LC6.

Once I get that all done then I'll look to get the sat nav. Don't wanna touch the car performance-wise till its abit older :)