GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

European MKV GTI front lights

Corleone

Go Kart Newbie
Hi there,

I have a question about the european MKV GTI. I don´t know if it aplies for USA.

What kind of xenon lights do have our GTI? I´ve heard that they are bi directional. I´ve also heard that they are bi xenon.

Can anyone explain me what are the differences between these two designations?

Thanks in advance,

Regards

BMWDavid

Drag Racing Champion
They are Bi-Xenon. This means that they are low and hi beam. This is done with a shutter inside the lamp assembly. On low beam the shutter is lowered and cuts off the light for a dipped or low beam pattern. On hi beam the shutter is raised allowing full beam pattern.

Some cars, (BMW for one) have headlights that swivel a few degrees when turning to shine some light off center on the road surface. These probably would be called Active or directional lights. Our GTI does not have this nor does the Euro version of the GTI.

David

mouch

Drag Race Newbie
Well if it helps, from what I've gathered, the North American version has bi-xenon, in the sense that the outside bulb is xenon and does both low and high beam.

The inside light is halogen here, and is used to flash your beams when the headlights are off (eg: for passing in the day).

I don't know if the European xenons are any different.

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
BMWDavid said:
Some cars, (BMW for one) have headlights that swivel a few degrees when turning to shine some light off center on the road surface. These probably would be called Active or directional lights. Our GTI does not have this nor does the Euro version of the GTI.

David

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but ours do pivot up and down to level the beam. I noticed it when I was doing a test drive and the car was started on a steep slope at the dealership.

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
bigdyno said:
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but ours do pivot up and down to level the beam. I noticed it when I was doing a test drive and the car was started on a steep slope at the dealership.
That is the auto leveling, when going down a hill, they raise up slightly, and when going up ahill they lower slightly, so you still have view of the road infront of you. Audi headlights also swivel, i was driving my friends A4, and found this feature was actually pretty cool.

NO MAAM!

Go Kart Champion
Well, that´s the same way it works in Germany :)