GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Topped Out?

cruisin home down 59 South punched it, hit 130 no doubt but no shutting down. I didn't feel a cut off, but let off cause my Girl was balled up sitting shotgun telling me to slow down....this is just now at almost 5 in the morning. it's the second time i've actually just past 130 or whatever....but i'm pretty damn sure this car could handle higher speeds. I can just feel so comfortable cruisin 100+ Anyone else topped out or just hit down the highway?

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
You'll have power pretty much up to 150mph (155-160 indicated) before it stops coming.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
and u also have to take into consideration that the speedo is off...and is off alot at high speeds...so maybe your 130 was only like 120 or 122

GTI1U0

Go Kart Champion
I have hit the low 140mph range before and the speed governor didn't kick in. I agree that I wasn't probably doing 140, but how much could it really be off at that speed? I read on Vortex that the error percentage is between 8-10% but I am starting to think that the governor may not be doing its job that well? No complaints other than I would like to know how fast I am really going without it coming off of a CHP radar gun.

3on1

Passed Driver's Ed
Do these cars have speed governs or rev-limiters in certain gears. My 93 240SX had rev-limiters in 4th and 5th gear. I could be stopped, put it in 5th, give it full throttle and it would rev-limit at around 4000 rpm. If that is the case with the GTI's you MAY be able to just unplug the sensor.

NO MAAM!

Go Kart Champion
On top speed the meter of my GTI shows 270km/h (165 mph).
That is real 240km/h (150 mpH). And it feels save for hours :thumbup:

German GTI has no speed governors.

It is commen sense in Germany (with some exeptions like Porsche), that only cars with a top speed higher than 250 km/h (155 mph) are regulated.

So your GTI has a build-in-speed-limit?!?

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
The top speed is limited to 130 (in US models) and the rev limiter kicks in at 7000 rpm. VW posts the real top speed at 146. The speedo in the MKV is off by a pretty large margin. Cruising at 100 is only really about 92 mph. Kinda sucks, but you can fool your passengers into thinking you're going a lot faster than you really are.

NO MAAM!

Go Kart Champion
Teknophreak said:
The top speed is limited to 130 (in US models) and the rev limiter kicks in at 7000 rpm. VW posts the real top speed at 146. The speedo in the MKV is off by a pretty large margin. Cruising at 100 is only really about 92 mph. Kinda sucks, but you can fool your passengers into thinking you're going a lot faster than you really are.

Roger that! http://www.vw.com/vwcom/content/objects/pdf/vw_gti_specs.pdf
bottom

and yes, the speedo is a liar!