GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0T differences

GTI2007

GTT said:
241 lbs. is significant weight.
Are you sure you have the weights correct?
I'll look it up but I think the quattro A4 is closer to 400lbs more.
When 1hp is related to roughly 9-10lbs., 241lbs is a lot.
So, the A4 quattro being able to be as quick as the GTI begs the question, how?
I'm sure gearing has something to do with it as well.

TT

according to the Belgian curbweights the difference between the GTI and the A4 is 357 lbs. By a quattro car the engine puts power on all 4 wheels instead of only the front 2 wheels on the GTI. Maybe that is one of the reasons the A4 has almost the same 0-60 times as the GTI

GTT

Touring Car Champion
GTI2007 said:
according to the Belgian curbweights the difference between the GTI and the A4 is 357 lbs. By a quattro car the engine puts power on all 4 wheels instead of only the front 2 wheels on the GTI. Maybe that is one of the reasons the A4 has almost the same 0-60 times as the GTI

357lbs. seems more realistic.
Also, curb weight doesn't include all the fluids I believe. Thus, the proper weight to use is the weight one will actually drive with oil, trans fluid, coolant, brake fluid, battery acid, etc...

Yes, AWD can have better grip off the line but that's a LOT of weight to overcome.
Also, the 1/4 mile times and trap speeds are similar. In cars that have a traction advantage off the line, such as AWD, but have low HP output you will see it in the form of lower trap speeds and slower 0-100 accel times.

The 2.0T GTI/A3 have a 6500rpm redline and the 2.0T A4 is 6800rpm. Thus, the A4 can pull longer, combine that with proper gearing and that can explain it. Also, the MPG in the 2.0T
A4 is a good deal lower as the A4 is heavier and has AWD powertrain loss.

The reason I bring this up is that I wonder if the ECU upgrade increases redline for the GTI/A3?
On the APR website the hp/torque increases on the 2.0T engine are different for the A4 compared to the 2.0T in the A3/GTI.

TT

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
Accel you get my vote for "Coolest Avatar on the Forum" :w00t: