GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI stock oil

GTT

Touring Car Champion
What is the oil fill in the GTI from the factory?
What weight?
Is it synth, regular, or a blend?
What are the suggested oil change intervals?

I'm looking for the manufacturers info. from your owners/maintenance books.
Thanks.

TT

StookMK5

Passed Driver's Ed
Service intervals:

5K - Oil Change
10K - Oil Change plus inspections and tire rotations
20K and 10K intervals beyond that - Oil Change plus inspections and tire rotations

40K - Transmission fluid (DSG)
60K - Spark plugs
90K - Timing belt

VW recommends full synthetic oil in all new GTI's.

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
Every 10K?! I'm used to changing my oil every 3K.

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Bouston said:

The beauty of using synthetic oil :biggrin: I think BMW and Porsche are also now advising oil changes every 10-15k miles.

i heard you are not suppose to use synthetic for the break in.
but after that synthetic is great

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
Bouston said:

I'm with you. There's now way l'm going to wait for 10K or 15K to do an oil and filter change. Every 3 months, for sure.

z3speed4me

Go Kart Champion
so wat specific oil you guys gonna use? or gonna jus do it at the dealer??

mobil 1 10w30 or something? blue cap ones??
i know u use dif oil on turbo cars, ive always had NA, so im not sure on this...

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
z3speed4me said:
so wat specific oil you guys gonna use? or gonna jus do it at the dealer??

mobil 1 10w30 or something? blue cap ones??
i know u use dif oil on turbo cars, ive always had NA, so im not sure on this...

VW calls for 0w40 or 5w40 synthetic oil for this engine, and must meet the oil spec VW 502 00. I say DIY the oil change if you can, save some money :wink:

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
Tensixty6 said:
I'm with you. There's now way l'm going to wait for 10K or 15K to do an oil and filter change. Every 3 months, for sure.

Once I go past 3500 I start to get a little worried. Even though I know everything is OK.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Oil change intervals can be a very hairy subject.
My 325i oil is changed when the onboard computer says it's to be changed.
Factory fill is full synthetic and oil changes have averaged at 13k intervals.
My 325i runs beautifully no problems. Synthetic is an excellent product.
You are wasting perfectly good oil if you are changing full synth at 3k miles.

As far as "break in", if the factory is using synthetic to fill it from factory then it's all good.
After the engines are built they are "broke in" at the factory. Customers simply do a final "break in" allowing trans parts, wheel bearings, brakes, tires, etc... to break in as well while allowing the new owner to get familiar with the new car. Be assured the engine gets a break in at the factory.

TT

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
Service intervals are only for warranty type stuff... VW covering their ass. I suggest every 3000 miles. Due to the close clearences your engine was built with you don't have to worry about reg vs blend. You engine comes with "break in oil" after the first change due what you like, being a tech I HIGHLY recommend snythetic!!!! I have taken engines apart that ran reg and some with sny and the sny engines were in MUCH better shape.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Dubdr said:
Service intervals are only for warranty type stuff... VW covering their ass. I suggest every 3000 miles. Due to the close clearences your engine was built with you don't have to worry about reg vs blend. You engine comes with "break in oil" after the first change due what you like, being a tech I HIGHLY recommend snythetic!!!! I have taken engines apart that ran reg and some with sny and the sny engines were in MUCH better shape.

I respectfully disagree. If it were an issue of covering one's ass, then a more conservative 3000 mile oil change interval would be recommended.

Throwing out full synthetic oil at 3000 miles is a waste of money and time.
The best way to know when oil is truly done with it's qualities is to have the oil analyzed, and that's available readily these days. I believe Pep Boys and Autozone offer the service.

Modern engines are built better than ever and it is that precise construction that allows for shorter break in times. Engines are "broken in" at the factory once assembled. That break in oil is drained and the engine refilled with factory fill, which I believe someone stated, is full synthetic.

TT

Herby

Autocross Newbie
Besides, oil has come a long way...I agree that throwing away synthetic at 3k is a waste of money.

New cars and synthetic work and I'm pretty sure they can go a little further than 3k. As for synthetic on older cars, I would never put synthetic in my 62 Beetle...nothing but nightmares:thumbdown:

bcaciopp

A smile every mile.
Ok this is rather confusing. So engines are broken in already? My AMSoil rep recommends 2 oil changes before using this oil.