GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Choose GTI over what cars?

dvsdimsum

Go Kart Champion
I know this is pretty much beating a dead horse, but I still can't help but wonder...

I'm stuck between an a3 and a 5-dr gti 2.0t. the a3 is definitely more expensive, and i can see how some people can justify the extra 3-4k for the interior and name. likewise, i love the gti for its sportiness, rather than focus on luxury like the a3. however, and here's my question, is the a3 going to rack me up higher on insurance in the long run? i realize the components (and thus problems) should be about the same, but with the name of audi slapped on the car, wouldn't the gti come out as cheaper on insurance?

i'm 21 with a 3-yr-old license from california, so this really matters to me. insurance can be a killer out here! i'm shooting for sub 30k otd, prefer 4-5dr (capable of seating 4 6ft people), 180hp+, and will probably mod it a little, but doubtful about auto-xing it. trunk space would be a def. +

*edit: currently in consideration of the following

a3
5dr mkv
wrx
rx8

Last edited:

Vlan_One

Ready to race!
mk1-fan said:
It was an easy choice for me. GTI or GTI.:biggrin: Only real choices I had to make was the colour and options.

Bump on this one. Also just the choice of colour and options, tranny being the biggest decision as I love to drive stick, but I found the DSG to be quite a bit of fun!

\\/\\/

dvsdimsum said:
I know this is pretty much beating a dead horse, but I still can't help but wonder...

I'm stuck between an a3 and a 5-dr gti 2.0t. the a3 is definitely more expensive, and i can see how some people can justify the extra 3-4k for the interior and name. likewise, i love the gti for its sportiness, rather than focus on luxury like the a3. however, and here's my question, is the a3 going to rack me up higher on insurance in the long run? i realize the components (and thus problems) should be about the same, but with the name of audi slapped on the car, wouldn't the gti come out as cheaper on insurance?

i'm 21 with a 3-yr-old license from california, so this really matters to me. insurance can be a killer out here! i'm shooting for sub 30k otd, prefer 4-5dr (capable of seating 4 6ft people), 180hp+, and will probably mod it a little, but doubtful about auto-xing it. trunk space would be a def. +

*edit: currently in consideration of the following

a3
5dr mkv
wrx
rx8

I was thinking a3 for a while but the thing that finally convinced me: AUDI = AWD

if audi made the a3 2.0T with AWD I would probably get it (dont like the 6)

Ant1974

Ready to race!
Had i Type R which was great ,Like the ST but in three years will be worth f*** all. Golf for me.

Attachments

• rc3150.jpg
    rc3150.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 207
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 204
  • fcandywhite1.jpg
    fcandywhite1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 211

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
well, until this coming monday, in which i will be getting my new gti :biggrin: , i have been without a car for 4 months cuz some stupid ho blew a stop sign and i t-boned her dead on. flipped her 1 1/2 times. anyways, for that whole time i was without a car, i took out a lot of new cars for test drives, mostly just for fun cuz i basiclly had my eyes set on a sr20 powered 240, i was just waiting to find the perfect one for the perfect price. then, about 2 weeks ago, i went to vw just to check out the new gti and take it for a spin. i instantly fell in love with it and said screw it to the 240. it seemed like i would never find a nice 240 anyways and would probably be getting in way more trouble with the it anyways always going sideways so i guess its good i didnt get one.

Herby

Autocross Newbie
SR20 240= High prices on aftermarket and repair parts because of drift craze..

I love the 240, but Nissan seems to forget about their older cars and so repair parts get hard to find...sr20 parts are even harder to come by so we always end up getting used parts from other people and crap like that...Its funny too, because you'll find a million shops that swap in sr20 motors, but never really work on em when they go bad:thumbdown:

All my friends have 240's and all of them have problems or are getting signs of problems.

And as for finding a nice one, I would buy one if I saw one nice like you say, but every 240 that I have seen (especially the ones with sr20's) have been in some kind of accident, whether its the bumber or a fender smashed in, they all have some damage from drifting these days:thumbdown: Stupid wannabes who can't drive or go drift in ALL THE WRONG PLACES)