GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

noob here...questions?

MKV

Passed Driver's Ed
new to the forums and i've read alot so far, but i have a few questions.i'm really looking to purchase the new GTI and wanted to know...

1. Will chipping cause my warranty to be voided? How is VW and their warranty?
i've owned japanese cars for the most part. nissan hasn't been too bad about mods, but honda was awful about modding cars.
2. I read that the current version does not have launch control (like the euro edition), but that the next "version/update" will have the launch control. Is this true? I plan on getting the DSG version b/c i hear its actually faster...which do you recommend?
3. What size is the turbo? and i understand german cars use recirculation valves rather than bov(blow-off valve)...can this be upgraded?

Thanks!

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
First welcome,

Secondly, a few threads down there is one about chipping and voiding the warranty, but the general consensus around here is that it will....However some folks have mentioned there dealership is perfectly fine with chipping the cars, or that one of the owners of the dealership has his chipped.

Some may mention that there are chips that can be hidden, or only unlocked by pincode, and may go completely unnoticed by a dealership. If you're truly concerned bout warranty, its better to be safe and not chip.

Yes the DSG is actually faster by bout half a second in the 0-60 time, however its personal preference of what you get. If you're doing daily bumper to bumper then get the DSG.

Read around and learn more about the engine and car, everyone around here is learning about these new and exciting cars.

Use the search function it's your friend

Here is some info that a great guy around here JJ gave me:

Engine info link:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/golfgoodies/mk5golfengine.pdf

MKV

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks for the info. i'm in atlanta and traffic is the worst here. i mean i love driving stick, but its getting old in this traffic.

Brandon

Oval Newbie
2. afaik only DSG models come with launch control...don't know why the US ones don't have tho.

3. I'm sure you could "upgrade" to a BOV...but that will certainly void the warranty.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
"3. I'm sure you could "upgrade" to a BOV...but that will certainly void the warranty."

.....But it would sound soooo preetttyy

MKV

Passed Driver's Ed
LivEToDrivE said:
"3. I'm sure you could "upgrade" to a BOV...but that will certainly void the warranty."

.....But it would sound soooo preetttyy

yes it would. very pretty.

TSiUG

sleeper...
To answer question number 3 our mkvs use a k03 turbo made by borg warner. They are literally one of/if not the smallest turbos on any car. Pretty much no turbo lag....This makes it great for low-mid range punch, but no so much in the upper rpms. The TSI/FSI motors are torque monsters when chipped. Very fun cars, but not tons of power potential if u are looking for a straight line monster.

That being said, I LOVE my car and glad I picked it over the mazdaspeed3/civic si/wrx's I was looking at.

tweak666

When this baby hits 88...
Car(s)
2006 GTI DSG
new to the forums and i've read alot so far, but i have a few questions.i'm really looking to purchase the new GTI and wanted to know...

1. Will chipping cause my warranty to be voided? How is VW and their warranty?
i've owned japanese cars for the most part. nissan hasn't been too bad about mods, but honda was awful about modding cars.

Yes, most likely. Think about it from their perspective. Why would VW feel obligated to pay for jack shit if they spent years on R&D, and you paid an aftermarket hacker to remap the ECU and something broke? So you're at the mercy of the service manager(s) @ the dealership so be cool with them! My contact actually reminds me to put it back in stock mode and he'll ignore all mods... Of course this is after I spent a shit ton on parts from them...

2. I read that the current version does not have launch control (like the euro edition), but that the next "version/update" will have the launch control. Is this true? I plan on getting the DSG version b/c i hear its actually faster...which do you recommend?

DSG shifts faster than humanly possible + you don't loose boost between gears. It is also not to be fucked with, and every time you go clicker-happy with the paddles, you are kicking DSG in the balls.

Launch control comes standard with 2007+, I believe. Mine doesn't have it. It doesn't matter anyway, because once you go Stage 1 you'll be spinning out all the way to 60.

3. What size is the turbo? and i understand german cars use recirculation valves rather than bov(blow-off valve)...can this be upgraded?

Don't try to nigrig a BOV. Get the EVOMS intake, and if you're not satisfied with Darth Vader breathing under the hood, get the Forge DV.

tweak666

When this baby hits 88...
Car(s)
2006 GTI DSG
oh shit i just noticed that... shit it took like all my drunken concentration to type that. well played, BroSnow6