GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rattling Hatch

Is anyone else having their hatch rattle while driving? On my Honda there were adjusters for the trunk and hood to give a more secure contact. The GTI doesn't have those. Anyone have any fixits for it?

shadezofgray

Passed Driver's Ed
We had a rattling hatch on a SUV that we used to have. I made it go away by greasing up the latching mechanism and the latch "pin".

We had that damn rattle the entire time that we owned the stupid thing. I only ever made an attempt to locate the source and fix it because the eventual new owner complained about it on their test drive.

Hope that helps...

Try adjusting the catch plate?

Also tempory fix (if your selling it) wedge something between the parcel shelf and the hatch door:thumbsup:

TeknoGroover said:
So where is this catch plate?

You should be able to adjust either the catch (attached to the rear hatch) or the catch plate which is the post sticking up along the bottom of the boot/trunk.... should be on elongated holes so you can undo and move slightly before re tightening.

Another trick would be to put some electrical tape around this post on the catch plate, that should fix the rattles:thumbsup:

rcnu71299

Ready to race!
I had the same problem. At first I couldn't pinpoint what was making the noise. Then I realized it was the plastic on the hatch. I took it to the dealer and they told my some clips were loose, so they tightened them. They also put some caulking type stuff to absorb the shock. It helped a little. I still get the noise but not as much anymore.