GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Well...it was either the GTI or the Si, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmclone

Oval Champion
Another thing that these studies never seem to focus on is new models and the number of models. For example Porsche, Land Rover, Mini, and a few others have a very few models so if they introduce a new car it completely ruins there averages. I think Mini has been pretty low for the last couple of years but think about their position. They have one model and it was brand new from the ground up. Same for the Cayenne’s. Of course up to a few years ago Lexus only had a few vehicles and they’ve always done well from day one. No excuses but these things do matter.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
I'm not sure I understand this...what is the point of this?

filness said:
bon apetite

Horizon

Drag Race Newbie
Slowride said:
I will get some shortly. We have ice and rain here, so I won't bother until we get a little sun and some good lighting.

Also, did you all see this?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060302/ap_on_bi_ge/autos_consumer_reports

That article makes me feel a little better about my purchase, at least from a resale stand point :). I don't have the actual issue yet, but I would like to see the testing categories and scores.

Only problem with that, is they don't take into account the new vehicles such as the re-designed Civic Si and the GTI. The Si has only been out since Dec. 1st and the GTI around late Jan. So it's a moot point as far as I'm concerned. (heck, I've been reading on some web boards, and the SI has its own fair share of problems just like the GTI). It all comes down to personal preference.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Horizon said:
Only problem with that, is they don't take into account the new vehicles such as the re-designed Civic Si and the GTI. The Si has only been out since Dec. 1st and the GTI around late Jan. So it's a moot point as far as I'm concerned. (heck, I've been reading on some web boards, and the SI has its own fair share of problems just like the GTI). It all comes down to personal preference.

Oh...I thought the GTI was out for a couple of years in Europe. At least, I thought I read that.

Horizon

Drag Race Newbie
Slowride said:
Oh...I thought the GTI was out for a couple of years in Europe. At least, I thought I read that.

Well yes... but you see this was a survey that people answered questions on; "17 different trouble spots" with various readers' vehicles (810k to be quoting the article) from; "1998 through 2005 model years." Now, with Consumer Reports being a US publication, that negates the European market from their surveys. Which, in turn, also negates the US '06 model year vehicles from the survey as well. Like I said, it's a moot point.

Either way, they're both great cars in the end, reguardless of what CR says.

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Slowride said:
KharotosGTI...pics are going to be up soon...hehe...

Here is one in the car wash with triple foam.

Hey hey! That looks like fun, lol.

One of my favorite things about the Si is the LED lit brightness of the gauges. :thumbsup:

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
That gauge set-up would take some getting used to. Everything is spread out all over the dash. The tach is where it should be, and the speedo is almost on top of the dash.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Bouston said:
That gauge set-up would take some getting used to. Everything is spread out all over the dash. The tach is where it should be, and the speedo is almost on top of the dash.

At first, it was weird, but now I can see the speedo without looking directly at it. You can actually see it in the bottom of your peripheral vision after a bit.

Also, the radio is controlled on the steering wheel as well, so I never have to look to the right very much.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
I'm not a fan of digital speedos. To me they take too much concentration to tell what they say. IMO it's easier to look at a speedo needle's angle to determine relative speed.

But at any rate, congrats on your purchase. Enjoy the ride.

p.s. looks like you need some gas :biggrin:

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
The si is a car I considered as well. And be honest guys, it's a lot cheaper to buy than the GTI is, no matter how the cars are discounted. You can't get a GTI for under about 22. The GTI I think is a more rounded car since it has more utility - for me the tiebreaker is the DSG. My fiance may need to drive the car to work and I don't need to wonder how much longer the clutch will last. I think the GTI is just such a swiss army knife. It does everything well.

Good luck and enjoy the Honda, they make great vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.