GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passenger Air Bag

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
I notice in some of the interior photos of the GTi that some cars have a "button" under the harzard warning switch which appears to read "Passenger Air Bag OFF". It's a bit hard to see but l think that's what it says.

So, what's that all about? Does that mean you can deactivate the passenger air bag?

The cars that come to Australia don't have this. Seems like a crazy idea to me. I mean, why would you want to switch it off. It would be like not wearing a seatbelt. You'd have to be nuts.

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
I've really only seen this in 2 seaters (Z4, 350Z,etc). It's for when you have an infant/child in the passenger seat that's in a car seat. If the airbag deployed while the child was in that seat it could do more harm than good. With that said I'm not sure why the GTI has this option.Especialy since the GTI has a backseat :iono:

ACgolf

Formula One Champion
That is not a button, it is a light to display the passenger airbag is switched off. You can switch the passenger airbag off with your key through the glove box I believe (Not quite sure if i am correct on the switching off in the glove box part). The reason why one might want to switch the passenger airbag off is that some designs of the baby "seat" or "baby car seat" are fitted to the front passenger seat. The seat is faced backward, having the baby faced toward the back of the car. So when an accident occur, the airbag will not go off and hit the baby seat, which might hurt the baby more.

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
Bouston said:
I've really only seen this in 2 seaters (Z4, 350Z,etc). It's for when you have an infant/child in the passenger seat that's in a car seat. If the airbag deployed while the child was in that seat it could do more harm than good. With that said I'm not sure why the GTI has this option.Especialy since the GTI has a backseat :iono:

Fair enough. With the obvious exception of 2 seater cars, in Australia, I'm pretty sure it's against the law to allow "small" children to ride in the front seat.

Your explanation makes sense.

My apologies to the administrators. I realise this thread should have been put in the "general discussion" section. Sorry about that chief.

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
Here's a picture of the switch on the glovebox

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
if there is less than 50 pounds of weight in the passenger seat, the airbag will not deploy. i didnt know there was a switch tho that u can turn it on and off.

and that little dial thing in the glove box is an air vent. theres one int he center console too. SO NIFTY!

marx92x

Autocross Newbie
I think that dial is the in-glovebox A/C Vent.

Also, the airbag uses two sensors to turn itse;f off if no-one is sitting the passenger seat. Pretty cool.

NewYorkMike

So hot right now. . .
my NA GTI does not have the key to turn on or off the airbag. I saw that in the manual and went to see if I had that. I do not. The light in the dash is quite annoying...

planb1215

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Wait do the new GTI's come with candy in the glove box? I didn't see that as one of the options. Is that a Europe only thing?