GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First Major Defect

Texas_MkV

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I experienced my first major defect on my car today. My spedometer is anywhere from 5mph-10mph off, and the higher my speed, the further off my mph is. I talked to my VW dealer today and they told me to bring it in and they will look at it. First the moron told me to just wait till my oil change, but I can not wait that long, so I have an appointment for tuesday. Hopefully it is nothing serious and they can fix it in a few hours. Has anyone else had this problem.

nomios

Touring Car Champion
At what speed does it start to become noticable? Mine seems ok at lower speeds, but I am really questioning the speedo at freeway speeds.

I have driven past some of those friendly neighborhood interactive speed limit signs that display your speed in big red LEDs. Both times I tried this the readings matched up very close. But both of those were between 40-55 MPH. When I get on the highway and hit 100 I am not feeling very confident that I really am going that fast.

Accel

Rally Car Champion
Your not, the problem is on all GTI's, and it gets incrementally worse the faster you go. According to the climatronic digital speedo, the speed is 5mph off at 50mph, and 10mph off at 100mph.

Apparently there is no fix as of now, no one really knows why its like that, your dealership isnt going to be able to do anything about it.

Deagle

Touring Car Champion
Speedo's naturally lose acurracy the higher the speed. Get a GPS that displays you're speed, then you know what you're really doing.

Texas_MkV

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Mine seems like it is off 10mph as soon as above 70 mph. Today my brother, who I was following was going 70 and I was going about 79 mph trieng to keep up. I live in the country and drive pretty far to get anywhere, plus there are state troopers everywhere. I am just afraid that I am going to get a ticket.

Should I just contact VW. I am just confused at what I should do to fix this. Can anyone help?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Is a digital speedo an option on our cars? Or are you talking about the Highline computer in the dash between the tach and speedo?

plac

GTI Master
Its normal for this car. It sucks, but its how they made it. Screws me up all the time. I went by a speed sign today. Going 39mph on my speedo. The very accurate sign said 33pmh.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Havn't noticed the problem much, but I dont usually check the MPH's, I just drive fast enough to keep me happy..haha...let us know what the VW dealership says about the problem, and whether or not a call back is in hand

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Wow, this is interesting.

At least the speedo seems to be wrong in your favor...you shouldn't get many speeding tickets this way. It is sort of like setting your clock ten minutes fast so you aren't late for things.

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Slowride said:
Wow, this is interesting.

At least the speedo seems to be wrong in your favor...you shouldn't get many speeding tickets this way. It is sort of like setting your clock ten minutes fast so you aren't late for things.

I don't know.

Whenever I'm on the freeway I'm usually always in the left lane doing 85~90 constantly passing people (I don't go in and out of lanes, I just do faster motoring, that's all). Last night on my way to dinner I had to move over and let people pass quite a few times even though according to the speedo I was, again, doing 85~90. I don't know, if it's really off then I think it kind of sucks. :frown:

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
all cars are like this though aint they?

as for the climate control digital speedo how is this more accurate then the actual speedo if they get the signal from the same source?

SSS_Hoon

MKBoulder

Ready to race!
Texas_MkV said:
Mine seems like it is off 10mph as soon as above 70 mph. Today my brother, who I was following was going 70 and I was going about 79 mph trieng to keep up. I live in the country and drive pretty far to get anywhere, plus there are state troopers everywhere. I am just afraid that I am going to get a ticket.

Should I just contact VW. I am just confused at what I should do to fix this. Can anyone help?
Why would you worry about getting a ticket when you are actually going slower than you think... Its not a bad deal really as most people tend to drive 10mph over the limit