GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First Major Defect

Texas_MkV

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Well I think I may get a ticket because I will go 5-10 mph over the speed limit, and I may overcompinsate and get a ticket.

Anyway I checked the Digital Speedo and it was the right mph. So I guess I will just go by that till VW gets this fixed.

Here is the link for those who have the same problem as mine.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
This is JUST a guess. If you go into the options in that data screen in the instruments, you are able to set the wheel size. Perhaps you have a different diameter wheel than the speedometer thinks you have. If that's the case, it would explain why the accuracy is worse as you continue to accelerate. It's just a gues, and you may have already tried that, but that would be my suggestion.

good luck

plac

GTI Master
There is nothing in there to change wheel size dude. Ive been thru every setting. You might be thinking about the +5mph -5mph Winter tire options which has nothing to do with adjusting the speedo.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I don't think they all have digital speed......

plac

GTI Master
First you'd find out exactly how off it is at 100mph. Then if its like 111mph on speedo at a true 100mph, you're 11% over. So you would need a tire 11%taller to perfect the speedo range. Thats a huge tire difference.

Stock 17 = 225/45/17 = 25" diameter
Larger 17" = 235/55/17 = 27.2" diameter

And that would only give you a 8.8% correction.

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
where is this winter tyre setting?

SSS_Hoon

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
plac said:
The pkg 2 has the digital speedo.

dude, i gots me the package 2, how do u get the digital speedo to show?

ive also noticed it looks like im going slower than what the speedo is telling me. hmm? i wonder what it would read if u tryed to hit the governor at 130? maybe thats why the speedo goes to 180. it'll go all the way to it but you'll actually only being 130. :laugh:

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
My car's speedo is about 2-3mph short compared to a GPS system.
[strike]I don't think I've got a digital speedo on mine, I've got the highline computer, how does one access such a function?[/strike]

Just read the link on how to access digital speedometer via climatronic, I'll have a play with that later.

nomios

Touring Car Champion
The winter tire settings have nothing to do with tire size. It is a safety feature, and part of the speed warning system.

The speedo defect should not impact the speed govenor either. I am sure the computer is looking at the digital speed and not the analog.