GOLFMKV

First Major Defect

plac

GTI Master
Golf 2.0 said:
Hello
You can fix that using the vagcom.
Cumps

Post how or that info is useless. 99% of everyone else says you can't. So how do you do it?

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
SSS_Hoon said:
all cars are like this though aint they?

as for the climate control digital speedo how is this more accurate then the actual speedo if they get the signal from the same source?

SSS_Hoon

Yeah, as a general rule most cars will show an indicated speed that is under the actual speed.

As for the readout on the climatronic, it's probably out too. My *guess* is they apply some sort of correction factor from the indicated speed. In my old Mk4 I went through one of those doo-dads on the Hume Freeway in Victoria that gives a read out of your speed, I had the climatronic readout running at the time and I got three different readings. I can't remember exactly what they were, but the road side display told me something like 104km/h, climatronic was 106km/h and the speedo was 110km/h.

:iono:

Sinjin

Rally Car Newbie
I noticed it also today. How I checked it i set the cruise to 80. Then I reset the avg speed on the heads up display (holding OK until it flashes and goes blank) the avg speed was 75. I also did it at 70 and got 66. Then at 60, 56. This stinks, I thought I was real fast :)

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
Hmmm, I could have sworn I saw a setting like that in the menus when I was tinkering with it at the dealership. It's not a digital spedometer but I think that most spedometers are electronic nowadays, when I got a dead battery the speedometer in my GTO WENT CRAZY. It told me I was going 200 mph at a stop sign, I had to get it reset.

If I'm wrong I stand corrected, but keep tinkering up until your service date, you might have good luck.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
How about just disconecting the battery for 30 min and see if it resets?

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
Hmmm....

I wonder if this has anything to do with German/EU speedometer regs. If I remember correctly, there was an article way back when comparing accuracy of different companie's speedometers. I want to say GM was most accurate, with some of the Japanese next and the Germans last. I think they mentioned that in Germany/EU that speedometers, required by law, could not read under the actual vehicle speed. So I wonder if VW builds in a 10% margin to comply.

I'll see if I can dig it up and provide a link.

Glad to be here. Considering a Gray GTI, 6 speed manual, with the stock 17's. Fun fun car. :)

Accel

Rally Car Champion
McPsycho V said:
ive also noticed it looks like im going slower than what the speedo is telling me. hmm? i wonder what it would read if u tryed to hit the governor at 130? maybe thats why the speedo goes to 180. it'll go all the way to it but you'll actually only being 130. :laugh:

At the govenor, the spedo will show you driving 140mph, when acually its somewhere around 128.

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
My car's speedo is about 2-3mph short compared to a GPS system.
[strike]I don't think I've got a digital speedo on mine, I've got the highline computer, how does one access such a function?[/strike]

Just read the link on how to access digital speedometer via climatronic, I'll have a play with that later.

cmdrfire, at wht speed was it off only by 2-3 mph??

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Texas_MkV said:
major defect on my car

Major defect? This must be your first car. Due to tolerance in the calibration of the speedometer, this much error is quite normal. VW cannot afford to let any car to be sold with the speedometer reading low, so they read high to account for tolerance.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
GTI 2.0T said:
cmdrfire, at wht speed was it off only by 2-3 mph??

All speeds up to about 120-ish, after which it's off by closer to 4-5mph. This has all been verified by a seperate GPS-device.

Something I noticed - I've got 19" wheels with 35-depth tyres, and the car seems slightly more accurate than on the stock 18" wheels with 40 tyres. With the 18" wheels the speedo seems to be more like 3-5mph off at most speeds. I was wondering about a month ago about how much further off it would be on 17"s, if at all.

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
All speeds up to about 120-ish, after which it's off by closer to 4-5mph. This has all been verified by a seperate GPS-device.

Something I noticed - I've got 19" wheels with 35-depth tyres, and the car seems slightly more accurate than on the stock 18" wheels with 40 tyres. With the 18" wheels the speedo seems to be more like 3-5mph off at most speeds. I was wondering about a month ago about how much further off it would be on 17"s, if at all.

ok thanx, cmdrfire:smile:

its good to hear that... because i reached 240 km/h(atleast thats what my speedo showed) in my GTI with 18" wheels with 40 depth. whats your estimate on how fast i was actually going?

Texas_MkV

I could understand that it is not a big deal when it is off about 4 mph at 100+mph. But I am off 10mph at 70mph. I have to drive what appears on my analog speedo 80 mph passed cops to go the speed limit. It just makes me so nervous. My appointment is tommorrow. Hopefully this will get the ball rolling for VW to fix this problem. Who knows maybe it is as simple as unplugging the battery. Let's hope.

Texas_MkV

Okay, my father took the car in today for me, and they told him that there was nothing wrong with the speedometor, and that I was wrong. When I heard this, I told my father to turn on the Digital Speedometor and he told me that I was right and that he was going to call them tomorrow and rip them a new one. It would be different if they at least would have looked at the thing. It is obvious that there is something wrong. I didn't have my car all day, and I am sure they just looked at the gauge and said "looks fine".

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
Best way to test isn't to use the digital speedo in the climate control.

Find a flat piece of freeway that you can set the cruise for a couple miles.

With a stopwatch, time how long in seconds it takes to go between mile markers at various speedometer speeds. Set it at 70mph on the dash. Then time it. If it takes 51 seconds, you are going 70mph. To find your speed, take 3600 and divide by the number of seconds per mile.

I know my miata is optimistic. I know my old 626 was too. I think most cars are, and I've heard German ones are the worst.

There has to be an easy calibration somewhere. If the odometer is right, then there is a way to make the speedometer right too.

But verify with a stopwatch (not the climate control) before you go rip the dealer a new one.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Texas_MkV said:
Okay, my father took the car in today for me, and they told him that there was nothing wrong with the speedometor, and that I was wrong. When I heard this, I told my father to turn on the Digital Speedometor and he told me that I was right and that he was going to call them tomorrow and rip them a new one. It would be different if they at least would have looked at the thing. It is obvious that there is something wrong. I didn't have my car all day, and I am sure they just looked at the gauge and said "looks fine".

Maybe they put one of those "brokeometer" stickers over it first.:clap:

Sorry...I couldn't help it.

Anyway, should the customer have to run around with a stopwatch to prove to the dealer what is wrong? I hope not.

Isn't this problem well documented around VWVortex and here? Maybe print out a few pages of posts and try to explain that many others have the same issue? It may not seem like great advice, but it may help show that the issue is larger than just you.

However, as a previous poster said, there may be nothing wrong in their eyes, because the speedo is simply off and that is all there is to it.

Good luck!