GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk5 GTI makes its Aussie racing debut (56K beware)

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
:w00t:

Are those brake calipers black from dust or from heat?

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
ChalkyWhite said:
Hi Minigolf, what other cars were in the same class, and what engine size? I see him doing battle with Holden Commodores in your pics. Cheers!

Well, to be honest the classes in the production car categories aren't that big. Kosi's GTI was in Class B and his closest rivals in class were in the form of two very well prepared Toyota Celicas. They have a lot of track experience in this category of racing and are the reigning Champions of the class. There is also an Integra Type R in the same class. In class A there was just three cars, Focus ST170, Proton Satria GTi and a Toyota Echo Sportivo. Class C has more cars, but mainly Falcon XR6 Turbos or XR8s and Holden Commodore SSs. Mind, the class leader this weekend for class C and round 1 winner was a Honda S2000. So quite how they categorise each class is anyone's guess.

However, what people need to realise is that compared to Europe and the States etc Australia is a tiny tiny market. We've yet to crack 1 million car sales in a calendar year, although have given that figure a serious nudge and will probably pass the mark in 2006. Of that figure less than 10,000 are Volkswagens. With the success of the Mk5 Golf I would expect VW to go past 10,000 new car sales in 2006 though. Couple that with VWA being unable, or unwilling more likely, to offer Kosi any factory support it is just superb to see a GTI on a race track at all.

More power to him! :thumbsup:

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
feuerdog said:
:w00t:

Are those brake calipers black from dust or from heat?

Heat. This is what they looked like after race 2. :evil:

Attachments

• 58613942-M.jpg
    58613942-M.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 966

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Brakes are stock, aftermarket pads can be used, provided they are the same size as OEM.
Roll cage.
Custom suspension from KW.
GIAC ECU tweaks (car must run stock boost).
Semi slick tyres.

That's all from memory.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Hmmm, looks like that's not racing caliper paint afterall.

That 4 door more *&^*** response had me rolling!! I like the two door, but now I'm thinking the "5" door might be the way to go. Just seems to take some of the sportiness away for me.

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Sadly, at this point in time, and despite constant rumours, 3 door GTIs are still a pipe dream for Australians. :iono:

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Oh, for any Aussie readers, the APCC races from Wakefield were featured on SBS's Speedweek today. I missed it, but will hopefully catch the replay on FoxSports in a week or two.

mk1-fan

Drag Race Newbie
The GTI looks awesome in white. Great pics of the car.:thumbsup: Here is a pic of a South African race GTI. Best result so far is a 2nd place, but it should win before long.

Brandon

Oval Newbie
Well pimped Nico! :p