GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Have you seen your GTI's fast? I have!

Herby

Autocross Newbie
Slowride said:
It would be interesting (but probably impossible) to know what sales impact these ads have had, versus a more traditional ad.

I think the cars would have sold either way.

It is not impossible, its basic business principles...believe me, the business world is way ahead

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I for one did not know the new GTI was out until I saw the comercial. I was still working on trying to get the old GTI. When I went to the dealership I figured I would be getting a good deal on the left over old GTI. I made the mistake of test driving the new one and bought it for $2,000 more than the old one. So for me the comercial worked in letting me know the product was available.

91ABAGTi

Passed Driver's Ed
Ya they would have sold fine I'm sure; but I think controversial advertising is going to either really turn someone on or off to the product= consumer awareness. In this case, some that liked the ads probably went for a test drive and purchased a car they otherwise would not have considered. Those that don't like the ads are either never going to consider a GTi in the first place, or have already determined they like the car itself. Bottom line for VW: sales gained, and none lost that weren't already. BTW, no offense Slowride, but as a non-VW guy, why are you here?:iono:

MarkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Im in advertising right now and believe me...these ads are amazing...and obviously they are working because the "FAST" is all people talk about on here. Some dont like it, others love it, but it really doesnt matter. What matters is that people talk. If your talking to your buddy about the FAST ads you saw last night for the new VW GTI chances are he is going to hop on the computer at home and look it up then he will talk and so on. Word of mouth is huge. These ads got people to talk about the new GTI and thats why they are good.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
the_saint said:
They would have sold either way, but I'm convinced that they sold more because of these ads.

I am at least singular proof.. the ads finalized my decision - believe it or not..

since i used to have a focus, the one where the pimped out one got "un-pimped" was especially funny.

But I cant believe there is someone out there that doesnt like the "fast" commercials.. :eyebulge:

Accel

Rally Car Champion
Everyone I know is asking me if I have my Fast yet, these commercials are working, they have somewhat of a youthful flare, and thats the idea I believe, going back to the fun roots of the GTI.

brock

Passed Driver's Ed
i would have never considered a VW... ad's got me stoked for the cars though. german dude and the fast.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
the_saint said:
But you remember it don't you?
Point proven.

It doesn't really matter if you like or dislike the commercials, what matters is that you notice them. Another example is those scarry ass gerbil/monster things that Quiznos had? (eek!) I'm sure Quiznos made millions off that campaign because everybody was talking about it. I'm sure it made the watercooler rounds...which caused people to go to Quiznos...because it got their name out. If they would not have run those particular commercials, Quiznos probably still wouldn't be on the map.

However, remembering an ad and acting on it are not the same.
Sometimes the in-your-face ads may get attention, but that doesn't result in consumer action.
And, it's the action one wants to see in marketing/advertising.

How many people on this forum actually want a GTI because of the ads?
I've been patiently waiting for the GTI to hit ever since I read about it a few years back.
For me, the ads are silly and only serve to potentially limit the resale market by making it seems as if this car is being targeted to the fast & furious crowd or to quite young people, those under 25. Yet, the people who actually remember the first GTI's are quite a bit older.

I think the ad campaign is too limited in it's scope. VW needs to broaden the appeal for it's North American campaign.

I digress. My point is that a company doesn't make money simply because people talk about the product. It's a good thing to get one's name out there, but you want a positive association with the ultimate goal being an action, the action being a purchase.

What VW is doing mainly with these ads is image. I'm just not sure that it's the right one, or it's not broad enough to appeal to the greater potential purchasing public. Men past the age of 30-35 are not as swayed by a psuedo rebelious appeal of an inner "Fast" and the German engineer destroying F&F cars while making "VW" finger puppetry is memorable, but makes me question my association with this car. Luckily, I'm fond of the GTI's performance, but it's "image" doesn't appeal to me.

T

GTT

Touring Car Champion
loccusst said:
I for one did not know the new GTI was out until I saw the comercial. I was still working on trying to get the old GTI. When I went to the dealership I figured I would be getting a good deal on the left over old GTI. I made the mistake of test driving the new one and bought it for $2,000 more than the old one. So for me the comercial worked in letting me know the product was available.

Exactly. You were informed of product availability.
However, the question is did the "Fast" persuade you to buy a GTI?
Did the smashing of F&F cars with VW hand signals have an impact on your purchase?

You were already set to buy a GTI, and luckily you were informed of a newer models existence.
BTW, you don't read any car mags?

T

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
I would have never even noticed the GTI if I hadn't seen the ads. Guess I'm about the only one.
I've never been a VW fan, I've always been partial to Japanese cars. I have a 90 240sx that I was thinking of doing a rb25 engine swap to, and my daily drive is an 06 Mazda5. I'm not into F&F, I believe those movies killed the sport compact scene.
And I'm in my late 20s if that accounts for anything.