GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf GT TDi - Dead Battery

Adster

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Hi all,

This is my first post to the forum. I've had a MK5 Golf GT TDi from new since Christmas and have been experiencing problems with the battery, twice now I've gone tostart the car in the morning and the battery has been completely dead, the RAC came out the first time, they tested the battery and the alternator and said they were both fine and suggested I speak to VW to see if there was a bulletin about it but they insist they've never heard of this problem occurring. Has anyone else experienced this on the MK5? And no I didn't leave the lights on (I leave them on automatic setting as they turn off when I set the alarm anyway)

Many thanks

Adster

brock

Passed Driver's Ed
i was at the VW dealer lately and the gti on their showroom had a dead battery and the saleslady said that somesurfaces will drain the batterys... if you park it in the garage try lying a rubber mat under the car. thats what the sales person said at least, hope i helped (somewhat)

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
First off what the lady told you in the showroom is complete bull. If there really was such a problem like that then there would be a lot more cars then vw's with dead batterys on cold mornings. I also own a gti myself, and ran into the same problem goin to work in the mornings. I went to ntb and got an orbital battery. Took care of the problem for me.

Adster

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
VW Technician came out and ran some pretty exhaustive diagnostics on the battery which was found to be faulty. He said that it has happened quite a bit but only on UK 55 Plate Golfs fitted with an Exide battery, he swapped the battery for a Varta one and I guess I'll just have to wait and see if that has fixed it. Thanks all for your comments though!

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Yes the rubber matt will work, however, if you put an ice cube on the top of the car....lol funny VW lady

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
brock said:
i was at the VW dealer lately and the gti on their showroom had a dead battery and the saleslady said that somesurfaces will drain the batterys... if you park it in the garage try lying a rubber mat under the car. thats what the sales person said at least, hope i helped (somewhat)

A rubber mat under the car? WTF?
What does she think the tires are made out of???

I bet the reason the showroom car's battery would be dead is from all the people messing around with it...opening doors, playing with the radio, ect.
I could see, after a while of repeated use in this manner, the battery could be drained becasue it was never charged back up.

Last edited:

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
the_saint said:
A rubber mat under the car? WTF?
What does she think the tires are made out of???

I bet the reason the showroom car's battery would be dead is from all the people messing around with it...opening doors, playing with the radio, ect.
I could see, after a while of repeated use in this manner, the battery could be drained becasue it was never charged back up.

Also most of the GTi come with car alarms, and if they dont drive them around every so often the battery will die

brock

Passed Driver's Ed
i dont know. the lady was a straight up bitch, i've already made another thread about it how she wouldnt let me testdrive without checking my credit history and all this BS.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
brock said:
i dont know. the lady was a straight up bitch, i've already made another thread about it how she wouldnt let me testdrive without checking my credit history and all this BS.
Damn, that blows. I've driven 2 different VWs, a GTI & a GLI. And the dealership has never seen any of my info. They asked my name and phone number after the first testdrive I took. I guess my dealership is cool. I should see if I can get a job there as a salesman....get an employee discount :headbang:

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
Yeah at my dealership, they let me test drive it without problem, they even let me take out a gti to show my friend at his house. But when i was a subaru, I had to beg for them to let me test out a legacy. I guess every dealership has its own twirks.

From what I know they cannot check your credit just to test drive. That can actually go against your credit. They only ask for a driver's license to make a copy, in case of an accident while driving, and afterward they ask for my phone number to contact me to check up on me. That's how all of them were for me. I went to 5 different dealerships (vw, mazda, subaru, 2x toyota)

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
But if you think about it, it definitely has nothing to do with credit, if they want to check it, just tell them your gonna buy it CASH!!

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
hey brock if i was you I wouldve told the biatch that: "my credit report has nothing to do with STD check up about me so why dont you f..k me anyways." What a stuck up whore she seems to be. I would suggest that you don't step foot in that dealership after you screw the biatch. lol.

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
vdub has some rage...haha

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
LTD i hate when the salespeople treat u like shit u know. I got the best story to tell ya though. I have a cousin and he is in the restaurant business and he loved this white C55 AMG and wanted to buy it. So one busy day at one of his restaurants he had to work in the kitchen cus something happened to one of the chefs. Anyways that same day he goes to the dealership with little greased out pants and shirt. So one of the sales dudes says to him that the car costed way more than he could afford it so why bother test driving it with greasy shoes. The next thing you know he went home grabbed 60 gran cash and came back. Guess what? that salesperson got fired cus he told the manager if he doesnt do anything about him he wont buy the car and also he wont buy a C230 that he was planning on buying for his wife. Also, he found out that that sales stud had few other complaints as well. I bet that motherf...er felt sorry for himself.