GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consumer Reports & VW

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
put it this way...

name a reliable car.

Sure Honda does a great job as well as toyota. But really that isnt much and I am sure the story from many of their owners is the same.

All cars have their quirks and faults. The VW is a German car so expect weird electrical problems at some point and little crap. Engine however, I think we are safe. This FSI 2.0t is bullet proof and VW really puts its money in the engine development. And being built again in germany is a good sign for quality in my opinion. I think it is also a focus with this car. VW is trying to turn the corner and get back to its roots while maturing the brand. Reliability is on the list I bet.

Also this car has been out for a couple years with kinks being worked out.

So yes you can buy a honda for reliability but IMO you are buying a boring unispired car. Even the SI... while nice and fun seem to me to be rather lacking. It just doesnt have the spirit of the GTI or the Cooper S. And I guarantee you will probably have some problem just as you would with a GTI at some point in your ownership.

I dont think you have any particular worry with this car.

Herby

Autocross Newbie
Wantagti said:
I know there is no perfect car and consumers these days are complaining about anything and everything in hopes of getting something for nothing. I listen to them every single day I should know, so take those surveys with a grain of salt. We get surveyed and way more pissed off people send in surveys than do the happy ones.

I couldn't agree with you more:thumbsup:

By the way, CR recommened the Altima...I have personal experience with 4 newer model Altimas and they are nothing but trouble. Horrible quality and the engines start making horrible noises when first started (apparently a problem Nissans have had for decades) and some while idleing and running...I really don't take CR seriously

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
ewoo said:
Yes, I think you ARE rationalizing... (but so am I)

I am in the same boat. I'm planning to buy a GTI because I cannot forget the sweet growl of the engine and the nice farting sounds the exhaust makes when you shift. But, I'm totally weary of the possible QA issues...

I cruised the VW forums and it seems like most VW owners just live with the issues. It's almost like they've accepted them! Many even downplay them saying that it's not a big deal... Things like missing lumbar knobs, wrong (non-GTI) scuff plates, rattling sounds from the door, air leaks in the window sills, paint flaws on the body, etc... All of these which I would consider unacceptable in a brand new car.

Nevertheless, I'm planning to take the plunge because I find the car so compelling. I hope I don't re-live my Dad's VW nightmare. (I'll rationalize this by saying that that was over 10 years ago.)

These are all issues with the GTI or other VW's?

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
earthtoandy said:
So yes you can buy a honda for reliability but IMO you are buying a boring unispired car. Even the SI... while nice and fun seem to me to be rather lacking. It just doesnt have the spirit of the GTI or the Cooper S. And I guarantee you will probably have some problem just as you would with a GTI at some point in your ownership.

Have you driven the Si?

Also, put that guarantee in writing, and then we have something.

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
Slowride said:
Have you driven the Si?

Also, put that guarantee in writing, and then we have something.

yes i have driven it. i would never put any money toward it. I also said, my opinion although thats not a nessecary qualifier since it is always my opinion.

And I have never seen a completely trouble free car... have you?

My point is that yes VWs tend toi have quirks that you have to deal with.... lots of cars do. But the GTI is worth dealing with them and major reliability I do not believe will be a problem

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
Jerome81 said:
These are all issues with the GTI or other VW's?

"Things like missing lumbar knobs, wrong (non-GTI) scuff plates, rattling sounds from the door, air leaks in the window sills, paint flaws on the body, etc... All of these which I would consider unacceptable in a brand new car."

Yes, these are all issues with the MkV GTI reported by current owners at VWVortex forums.

Still, I'm holding my breath and buying one anyway--hoping that I get lucky. :wink:

plac

GTI Master
The string of bad luck with the MKIV series is what killed VW in its ratings for Consumer Reports.

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
How do you get seats with no lumbar knobs?!

Are they putting seats for other markets without lumbar in US cars?

If not, they can't even get the lumbar right? What else are they forgetting that is maybe more important??

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
ewoo said:
"Things like missing lumbar knobs, wrong (non-GTI) scuff plates, rattling sounds from the door, air leaks in the window sills, paint flaws on the body, etc... All of these which I would consider unacceptable in a brand new car."

Yes, these are all issues with the MkV GTI reported by current owners at VWVortex forums.

Still, I'm holding my breath and buying one anyway--hoping that I get lucky. :wink:
Really?? I was under the impression that these were MkIV flaws. Do you have links?
*not calling you out, just curious...and worried

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
earthtoandy said:
yes i have driven it. i would never put any money toward it. I also said, my opinion although thats not a nessecary qualifier since it is always my opinion.

And I have never seen a completely trouble free car... have you?

My point is that yes VWs tend toi have quirks that you have to deal with.... lots of cars do. But the GTI is worth dealing with them and major reliability I do not believe will be a problem

Interesting...

What about the car did you not like? Since I own it, feel free to go as deep in detail as you would like, since I'll know what you are talking about.

destroyboredom

Autocross Newbie
ewoo said:

Keep in mind that for every 1 of those complaints you read there is good number of people with zero problems. Keep in mind these are also the same people that drop there car on coilovers and put all the ICE in the trunk then compain about rattles... (no offense, just the truth)

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
destroyboredom said:
Keep in mind that for every 1 of those complaints you read there is good number of people with zero problems. Keep in mind these are also the same people that drop there car on coilovers and put all the ICE in the trunk then compain about rattles... (no offense, just the truth)

Even if it's 1 out of a thousand cases, I don't think a missing lumbar knob should have been overlooked by VW's QA process. Don't you agree? This is totally unacceptable in this day and age.

Link to the post:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2474605