GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

18 inch wheels

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
I'm about to buy my GTI and I'm from Pittsburgh. I reeaaallly like the larger wheel size but I'll admit I'm a little intimidated by the sidewalls of the tires being so short. Does anyone out there where the roads are imperfect have any words of wisdom? Am I nuts to consider them or will I be just fine without the boring stock 17's?

kidkusu

My other ride is a UH-60
Dude i've got the 18's on mine and they are just fine. I have a corvette with 30 profile on 18's which I had in Germany, and they do have excellent roads, but some towns need some help. I'm talkin pot holes, cobelstone, u name it and I had no problem with them. Besides, even if you do not get the 18's you will still drive carefull, so i say go with what you like. :thumbup:

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
It depends herrstreet. If there isn't to many pot holes around where u live ud be good and also full pocket to be ready to cover the unexpected. Cus last year 2 days of my spring break for Panama City Beach, FL ended up looking around for a tire for my friends Acura TL A Spec on 19 TSW's with 245/35/19 with Yokohama tires. Also f....d up the rim, and the suspension. Grand total for the tire ordeal came out to be little over $1600.
So think about that u know what I mean.

Brandon

Oval Newbie
herrstreet...if you're gonna hit a pothole big enough and hard enough to damage 18s, it most certainly damage 17s as well just maybe to a lesser extent.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
or....Dont go over pot holes in the first place!!

kidkusu

My other ride is a UH-60
You got that right dont go over them. We all know that if you are a car nut, no matter what kind of car it is you will drive it more cautiously, and Not like it is a rental

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
I respect what all you guys are saying with that, Pittsburgh has tons of bridges so there are things like expansion joints and what not. Sometimes there really isn't a choice. I'm already one of those types who parks way at the edge of the parking lot...

kidkusu

My other ride is a UH-60
herrstreet said:
I respect what all you guys are saying with that, Pittsburgh has tons of bridges so there are things like expansion joints and what not. Sometimes there really isn't a choice. I'm already one of those types who parks way at the edge of the parking lot...

Have you test driven one yet. if not or if so go take it out to the places where you feel you might have issues and see what happens, but I honestly feel you will not have any problems. Just watch some of the test videos where they are driving the car over continuous bumps on the test track. They even took it off roading!!!
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=714&postcount=12
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=922&postcount=13

The other thing to take into consideration is that these are Alloy wheels, not super light, dentable Aluminum. Plus,as for roadhazard when you purchase the car. I got it. It comes in handy when you dent the wheel or something happens to the tire, you get a new one free. It's like insurance for your rims and tires, but a one lump sum. Mine I think was aorund $250.