GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

front mount intercooler?

I have still been debating myself if it's just a radiator or if it's both. My conclusion is IT'S BOTH. there are 4 hoses coming off of it. If you stand in front of it there are 2 on the very bottom left and right, one on the top right, and one on the left middle way down. The two on the bottom go to the front of the engine (center) and the other goes to the left side of the engine near the rear (NOT THE TURBO) Both are air since they are both about 2.5 inches in diameter. The other two are much smaller. It's not uncommon to share a radiator for stuff. My dad found it strange that my radiator on my accord shared with the antifreeze water and my transmission fluid. THE ONLY AIR GOING TO THE TURBO IS FROM THE INTAKE FILTER. THAT'S WHEN THE INTAKE PIPING FROM NEUPEED COMES IN.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I heard that the Nuespeed part actually cut the hp down....not help it.

Faster2.0

Go Kart Champion
Not 2 in 1

There is a front mount intercooler and it is not that thing in the picture. If you look at the pattern on the intercooler and the radiator you will see where one starts and the other stops. You have to look thru the grill. The radiator, intercooler and something I forget are stacked one in front of the other. And it IS a rather large unit that doesn't have much room for improvement.

GoBlueVDubDude

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV, Red
Hate to say it, but you are all wrong. The first pic is of the intercooler. It is not a radiator!!! Has anyone here even looked at their cars? There are three "layers" of things looking like radiators in the front of the car. First layer (closest to the front of the car) is the condenser for the air conditioning. Second layer is the intercooler (which is quite large, especially compared to the side mount found in 1.8T's). Third layer is the radiator. They are three seperate pieces, as they must be. Trust me, the intercooler is not "built into the radiator"! :smile:

Anders @ EVO

Go Kart Champion
^ is absolutely correct! It is the FMIC, if you guys look at the picture it is OBVIOUS!! The compressed air goes into one side, and the outlet of the other leads straight into the throttle body......????!!!! WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE!!!

Several months back we ordered the FMIC from the dealership to see if there were improvements to be made, or if we could retrofit it onto the MK4...guess what showed up as the intercooler? You guessed it, that big nasty looking thing inthe picture!

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
its a fmic. pretty obvious. eurojet is coming out with a fmic kit for the mk5's.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
The only thing I could see that might be improved would be the hoses..maybe?

laGuaGua

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
07 GTI
Wow that second picture reminds me of them maze games you find in them books. Thats one hella crazy turbo setup...

Cotwhy

Passed Driver's Ed
Aftermarket FMIC's are moved lower, away from the heat of the radiator and AC condensor, for one thing. They are also made of better material for heat transfer and are sized in a way to help cut down on pressure loss. They're a really good aftermarket modification, I just wish they didn't cost so much on these cars. Hell, I wish all aftermarket parts cost less for our cars. It's a good idea to befriend someone who can make piping for you for cheap :)

schiff

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
The stock intercooler is sandwich between the A/C condensor and the radiator and thugh it may look big it is quite thin. The problem with this is you get heat soak especially at low revs and idle. FMIC will significantly reduce heatsoak especially at high speeds, thus cooler charged air.

dubs rock!

traveler
Car(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
The stock intercooler is sandwich between the A/C condensor and the radiator and thugh it may look big it is quite thin. The problem with this is you get heat soak especially at low revs and idle. FMIC will significantly reduce heatsoak especially at high speeds, thus cooler charged air.

Do we need to make power at low rev's or at idle? FWIW, I found this picture on Vortex.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3005109

Here's the 24x16x1.25 stock, 480 cubic inch FMIC:

hth!

Last edited: