GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Difference between a mkIV leather seats and mkV?

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
This is where I need the most help in. I love everything about my current 04 GTI except one thing. I have had comfort/ergonomics problems with the seats. Everytime I would drive for a little long or through traffic my left hip would hurt. I thought it could be the clutch but I found out it was the left bulster in the seat. Can someone that comes from a mkIV or knows about the mkIV leather seats, give me some good comfort comparison feedback between the mkIV and mkV leather seats?

CopperAddict

Autocross Newbie
Comfort level........

I think the seats in the new MkV's are more on par in comfort level with my previous Audi A4's.

The power lumbar in the new seats is identical to the Audi's, and brings comfort to a whole new level.

Overall I think the fit & finish in the new Mk 5's are of a level of my '03 Audi A4 Avants. If you took the VW badge off the steering wheel, most pepole might even think it was an Audi.

I've been very happy with my new GTI.

Pete

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
Thanks CopperAddict-Pete. I am wondering if I run into the same problem If I could change them. Thats what I was going to do on the mkiv this spring but now that I am getting a mkv i wont do it.

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
Lol, finally someone else says it... Long drives used to make my hip/ backside seriously unhappy. I found the cloth seats to be equally unfogiving and narrow but the leather ones seemed more forgiving. I'm not a really big guy either so I don't think it's some problem of trying to wedge an american into a european seat.

I have the cloth seats and I'm not small. Size 42" pants okay! The ride at first was very comfortable for me, but it so nice to drive it now. I can drive for hours and feel comfortable. The MKIV GLI seats were too snug for me though.

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
herrstreet, yea. sometimes i would hate my car as much as i love it cus of the seats. hopefully they are wider and bigger. What really sucks is i tried through vw to get different seats but they said that they can't do anything about it because of safety issues. So I dont know. Still trying to get some more feedback and if they turn out to be bad, it wont turn me away ill still buy the 5 door but i would have to start looking for aftermarket seats from now.

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
teknogroover the GTI and the GLI's seats on the 04 mkIV are not to different so if you are saying that on the mkV you feel much more comfortable than it seems that they are comfy for long drives.

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
Could always take the crude approach. Press butt against seat and wait for numbness... At least you can have satelite radio to listen to while conducting the test. If your cloud needs a silver lining, it still beats a bicycle seat!

best of luck.

vdubGTi said:
teknogroover the GTI and the GLI's seats on the 04 mkIV are not to different so if you are saying that on the mkV you feel much more comfortable than it seems that they are comfy for long drives.
I wasn't sure of the likeness of the seats, but yes, the mkv are much better for long drives. Also, You will sometimes need to find that sweet spot because your nads can start hurt, but that can be from the pants.