GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Factory speaker crossover points???

GoBlueVDubDude

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV, Red
Does anyone know the factory crossover points (hertz) for the door and rear speakers (should be 2 points for the front and 1 in the rear), and where the crossovers are located in an '06 GTI?

Also, does anyone know what impedence is "shown" to the stock radio by the crossovers? I'm hoping it is 4 ohms so I can just add an amp to the stock setup without having to worry about starting a fire. :biggrin:

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
fronts are 280hz & 5Khz cannot remember the slope but iirc its first order.
The stock front speakers in europe are 8 ohm.

Rear speakers i have no idea not touched them.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I added an Alpine V12 4 channel amp to mine and it is working quite nicely. No fire yet......LOL. In the U.S. the 7" is 8ohm and the other two are 4 ohm. I never checked the ohm load though of the front setup...think I will do that today when I go into work.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
Just to correct myself the mid and tweeter are 4 ohm i know the tweeter is for sure as i checked my photos, the mid i think but the photos not great was 4 ohm too, i remember the 7" as been 8 ohm but maybe it was one of the other VWs we had in that day i maybe mistaken on that one.
Sorry to mislead you guys.

GoBlueVDubDude

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV, Red
Thanks for the replies so far, guys!

Loccusst - so the addition of the amp made an improvement in sound quality? If so, that is great news since it is what I was hoping. I know the speakers, while not audiophile quality, are usually pretty good in VW's - VW just tends to underpower them. I, too, am planning on adding an Alpine V12 amp, using it's speaker level inputs, and then using it's high pass filter to limit the low frequencies to the factory speakers. I will then use it's pre-outs to run an Infinity BassLink sub. I have heard good stuff about the BassLink, and I like that it comes with a remote volume knob so I can control it's level. I am hoping this setup will sound pretty good, and hold me over until I can afford to replace all of the speakers with some Rainbow's. I do like nice, crisp highs, though, so I may end up replacing just the front tweets, for now, with some aftermarket ones - hence my question about the crossover points.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
The amp drasticly helped the speakers. My buddy at work is pushing me to get Alpine Type X three way components for the car or put my 6 1/2" in with modification to the 7" opening. The clearance in the door is an issue with this car for the speakers. So watch out for that if you do swap out the speakers.

plac

GTI Master

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
loccusst said:
The amp drasticly helped the speakers. My buddy at work is pushing me to get Alpine Type X three way components for the car or put my 6 1/2" in with modification to the 7" opening. The clearance in the door is an issue with this car for the speakers. So watch out for that if you do swap out the speakers.

Hey loccusst, where did you install the amp? Under seat, in the boot or upfront? Do you think you have time to throw together some diagrams?

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
Anybody consider doing a center channel in the center dash vent? The front stageing could definately benefit.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
There is plenty of room up in that center vent for one. I just installed the Alpine center channel I already had in the double din kit. It does help greatly having a center channel. As for amp location, mine are mounted on the sub box. An interesting note on the speaker set up in the doors. I tested the Ohm on the group in the doors and they are pulling a 5 Ohm load.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
In the hatch. I made two seperate sub boxes for my TypeR 10" subs. Thaat way if the wife and I are going on a trip I can take one out and have more room. If I am going to the track I can take both of them out. That is why I have the amp for each individual sub mounted to each box. And the one that stays in unless at the track has the 4 channel attached. All of this is just untill I build the fiberglass enclosures where the styrofoam is that surrounds the spare.