GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Called the VW service manager for opinion..

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I happen to know the VW service manager across the street. Very upfront straight up guy. What I didn't know is how much of an enthusiast he is (was). He's like me, married with kids, so that can put a dampner on your desires. Well, he had nothing but praise for the MKV. When they launched the car at the dealership, the VW rep happened to be a racer as well. He took them all on insane test drives! What a way to sell it! He also is someone who is a DSG believer. I haven't driven the DSG yet, but he insisted that I had better do it. Maybe one day. I asked him about service issues, to which he was unaware of any. He said they charge $55 for the Castrol Syntec oil change service, which is reasonable. We charge $75 on a Mobil1 synthetic change!! (Which is crack smoking). The VW rep wanted to also make known the safety built into the car. He actually opened a door and climbed up and stood on the window sill. He jumped up and down on it several times then jumped off and shut the door. I don't think you'd catch me trying it, but it sounded impressive to me.
All I can hope is that I'm able to get one sometime this year. Driving it twice only made it worse then talking to him made me even more sick.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
That's cool that the servicewriter is such an enthusiast. It will probably help to make friends with him if you do get a GTI in the future.

Wantagti said:
The VW rep wanted to also make known the safety built into the car. He actually opened a door and climbed up and stood on the window sill. He jumped up and down on it several times then jumped off and shut the door.
I'm not exactly certain what that proves...other than he does not own the car. I don't think any normal person would do that to their car.
I am sure that he was trying to show the structural integrity of the car, but hell it's brand new, of course it's going to be solid. Do that when it's got6 years on it and 95k miles, then we'll talk :biggrin:

Althought I guess if a Kia dealer did that the door would probably rip off the hinges :laugh:

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Yea, I've never heard of anyone doing that. I would imagine my 225lb self could cause some damage if I did it. He's really cool, they seem to have a hand picked kind of dealer, much the same as the sister Honda store.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
Start talking to him about mods now so that when you do get your GTI he will already be cool with you and mods and won't void your warranty.

Also, make sure you do NOT buy the GTI that the salesman "demoed" for you. lol

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I already told my salesman buddy that I'd want one right off the truck. The service manager asked me had I heard about the APR chip!! I told him I was looking into the Revo one. I hope to eventually have this car. I would have friends at Mazda (my wife's car) and VW. One of the benefits of being in the car business for 10 years.