GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ok you lighting buffs....its time!

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
haha i have wayyy too much stuff to buy before i even thing about a new tripod.

i would take some test shots except there are no speedlites attached lol. they havent come in yet, end of this week ill have some shots posted.

maimkv

Ready to race!
the good thing is, you won't need any white boards to bounce your strobes. you can just use your walls. just kidding.

very good start. enjoy them, 'cause you're gonna want more:drool:

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
oh i already want more! i wanna get a softbox and i gotta make some reflectors, pocket wizards, a couple shoot-through umbrellas...the list is seriously endless lol

omegach

Banned
aren't most headshots/portraits done in vertical orientation? i figure it'd be annoying as shit trying to take a bunch of vertical shots w/ a pan/tilt head...

besides i hear good support is one of the first things a photographer should invest in. ;)

maimkv

Ready to race!
omegach is right. the best investment a photog can ever get is a kick ass tri/monopod. get a carbon fiber tri/monopod and a good revolving head. then you're golden.

since you already have your umbrella's, i'd hold off on the soft boxes, and get the tripod and head.

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
ya that is true, my tripod is pretty damn restrictive and cheap. i gotta do my research on what tripod to get. i dont know if i can quite afford a carbon tripod/heavy ball head quite yet. gotta start saving..again.

Turbo

Ready to race!
Are those stands part of what's considered a "strobist kit"? I thought they pushed the more compact ones with the non-tubular, flat legs like this:

:iono:

Anyway, congrats on the nice setup. I know you're gonna have a blast with the new gear. Enjoy!

Kauz

Go Kart Newbie
nice lighting set up...i saw that on flickr. I know that ed pingol dude, I took his place at an apartment up in Sac, that's my homie Rusty holding his light set up. Wow, that dude came up! I have yet to hit him up for tips....i gotta do that pronto!

maimkv

Ready to race!
hey hefty,

have you thought of getting a light meter?

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
nah. i looked into it and decided not to get one. it seems like its a 50/50 toss up in the strobist community on whether to use one or not. some people love it and some hate it. if i was shooting film then i would definitely get one, but since i do everything digital, i would just shoot and adjust...i think it'll be quicker for me. i may consider getting one when i get into assignments that are time limited, but for now ill just play it by ear.

Turbo

Ready to race!
If I didn't already have one, I wouldn't get a flashmeter.

BTW, if you're shooting in your dining room, consider shooting tethered.

Vod

Ready to race!
www.profoto.com

Go big are go home!

Just kidding. Check if there is a rental company in your area and rent out the gear you need. I made the mistake of buying a bunch of gear that I barely use. Now, I rent what I need and pass the bill to my clients.

There is no sense in spending hundred, if not thousands, of dollars on gear you will most probably be stuck with when you move up as a photographer. Rent until you know exactly which tools you work with the most. Then buy those, if you absolutely want your own gear.

Vod

Ready to race!
nah. i looked into it and decided not to get one. it seems like its a 50/50 toss up in the strobist community on whether to use one or not. some people love it and some hate it. if i was shooting film then i would definitely get one, but since i do everything digital, i would just shoot and adjust...i think it'll be quicker for me. i may consider getting one when i get into assignments that are time limited, but for now ill just play it by ear.

This is the mentality I hate about new photographers. No one takes the time to do things right anymore. You take a shot, look at your screen then then judge your exposure. If you are serious about photography, use the right tools. My .02 cents.

maimkv

Ready to race!
This is the mentality I hate about new photographers. No one takes the time to do things right anymore. You take a shot, look at your screen then then judge your exposure. If you are serious about photography, use the right tools. My .02 cents.

^^:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: