GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ok you lighting buffs....its time!

Turbo

Ready to race!
...in your last statement, are you refering to using softboxes and other ways to light the car?...

Yeah, softboxes or white reflectors stretched over a frame or translucent materials stretched over a frame that you can light from behind (kind of a do-it-yourself softbox).

I used to assist a photographer who almost always set up a 12 foot square reflector on location shoots. It would be held up with two massive stands so it could be raised/lowered/tilted just where he wanted it.

Turbo

Ready to race!
ya the way I see it right now is that this gear is going to me an investment. Eventually I will want to be making money to have the equipment pay for itself.

Turbo, what did you do(or still do) when you stopped freelancing? Just kept on working as an assistant?

I worked for Apple most of the last 15 years. I left about a year ago, but am still working with Apple gear for a living.

If the gear is gonna make you money, then by all means, go balls out! :w00t:

Last edited:

omegach

Banned
turbo: do you think a photography degree is necessary to make the transition from a hobbyist to a pro photographer? i certainly wouldn't mind taking pics everyday and getting paid for it, rofl

just curious on how one enters the professional field

sry heftylefty for the thread jack D:

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
i wouldnt consider that a thread jack since im interested in that answer as well lol.

but just to put things in to perspective omega, the photographer i posted earlier has only been shooting for about 2 years so if you have the talent then you can easily find work out there. he's been shooting for jtuned, eurotuner, redline magazine(for the UK), and various other mags. its still his hobby, but he said he might be going full time the way his modeling pics are coming along...which i think would put him as a professional.

just gotta get your name out there.

Turbo

Ready to race!
turbo: do you think a photography degree is necessary to make the transition from a hobbyist to a pro photographer? i certainly wouldn't mind taking pics everyday and getting paid for it, rofl

just curious on how one enters the professional field

sry heftylefty for the thread jack D:

I PMed you omegach. Short answer: I wouldn't say it is necessary but it wouldn't hurt. I would however, recommend some sort of higher education degree.

Also, what heftylefty said just above is good.

notsolinear

Takes his fast for rides
Being an advanced amateur myself, here's my experience with strobe lighting. I've got a pair of 350 Watt-second self-contained strobes from a Calumet kit (came w/ umbrellas, stands, case). I've added small & medium softboxes, a snoot, and 3 Pocketwizard Plusses (1 Tx, 1 Rx, 1 Tx/Rx). I do mostly studio work, very little location work so mobility/power hasn't been an issue yet.

Some thoughts:

1) Though 350 Ws is low for off-camera strobes, I've never needed to use the full output on the strobes when doing small studio, single model work.

2) Radio triggers are essential. Not only is a sync cable hanging from the camera obnoxious, it also makes it 100x more likely you're going to knock over a tripod with your expensive strobes on it or yank a camera out of your hand onto the floor.

3) Light modifiers are key. For me the umbrellas never really worked out. My favorites are the soft-boxes for soft light and my new snoot for very directed, contrasty lighting.

4) Off-camera vs Smaller (speedlight, etc.) -- If you plan on doing location stuff or journalistic stuff where you need to setup/tear down quickly then the more portable speedlight-sized flashes are what you need. If you want more traditional studio light and better options for light control (I imagine it's hard to put a 3' soft-box on a speedlight) then I think the dedicated strobes are the way to go. FYI: I believe Calumet sells a Travelite kit along with a battery for location shooting if you can pony up the cash, wanna carry the heavy gear, and have the time to setup in the field.

My stuff, lots of studio work:
http://bacmac.aae.uiuc.edu/ground0/groups_listing.php

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
you have some awesome work notsolinear!

thanks for your input and ill definitely be looking into some quality strobes once i get things rolling. im still saving up for pocket wizards though...those buggers are expensive haha

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
update. got things intially setup tonight. the umbrellas are bigger than i thought so im gonna have to possibly move things to the living room and do some rearranging. but this is how things are looking right now. i think i have enough room for headshots in my "dining room" im gonna be using that table for product shots, just havent bought hte supplies yet to build the setup.

what do you guys think? are there things i should change/add?