GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So, the bank made me put my account # on coin rolls before depositing them

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Well, I went to Citibank and tried to deposit a large number of coin rolls, and they made me put my account # on each roll. Is this something that all banks require? Or just some banks?

DarkstaR

dope freshhhhhhhhhhh
Looks like it's just some banks. I've deposited coin rolls before without having to put my account number on them.

Or maybe the teller felt like being an ass.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
I haven't deposited coin rolls in quite some time but I guess it has to do with being able to track you down if they find things other than coins in those rolls.

smashingpimp01

Back on L.I.
False. The person didn't know what they were talking about and i hope you didn't actually put it on there.
You're supposed to put your "RIM" number or your customer ID number.
Not your account number because if i went into that same bank and asked for a roll of quarters now, i would get a free checking account number with it :)

Call.me.Junior

is overboard.
i know at my store we've had rolled coins that have numbers on them... not sure if they were acct numbers or id numbers. i would talk to the manager.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
False. The person didn't know what they were talking about and i hope you didn't actually put it on there.
You're supposed to put your "RIM" number or your customer ID number.
Not your account number because if i went into that same bank and asked for a roll of quarters now, i would get a free checking account number with it :)

I did some research and apparently, it makes sense that they wanted his account number. It's supposed to be something implemented as an anti-coin roll hunter program.

Anti-CRH tactics

Some bank employees are not happy with coin roll hunters, and may use tactics to discourage coin roll hunting. Some banks charge handling fees to deposit or withdraw large amounts of coins. Banks are commonly charged processing fees by coin delivery services, and these charges are passed on to customers who handle large amounts of coin. Also some bank tellers are noted for being very rude to coin roll hunters, though this tends to vary from venue to venue. Bank employees have also been known to search through coins themselves between the time it is received by the bank and the time it is issued to the customer.

Another tactic banks use to deter the expense of handling large coin deposits is to require that coins for deposit be rolled in paper first. Additionally, they may require the depositor's account number to be written on each roll.

Coin roll hunters have responded to such tactics by using alternate means of returning rejects. Many have turned to self-service coin counting machines in bank lobbies, a service highly appreciated by coin roll hunters. Some use CoinStar or CoinMaster machines to process coins for a 8.9% fee. Others spend rolls of coins in everyday transactions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coin_roll_hunting

smashingpimp01

Back on L.I.
They're supposed to use a number associated with the customer but not use the customer's account number for the reason i stated above. They do this mainly because if you open a roll of quarters and it's 2 dollars short, you can just deduct that amount from the customer's account.
At the banks i've worked out we wouldn't accept rolls of coins from non-customers

MKvUltra

I'm chasing perfection
yea I've had to do this before when cashing in large amounts of change. they just want to make sure there are real coins in the rolls and if not who to charge the money to

smashingpimp01

Back on L.I.
stop putting your account numbers on your rolled coins people. I'm gonna have to start going to your banks and getting me some extra money then lol. Ask for another type of number to put on there that associates your account to you.
Scenario - I go into a Bank of America in LA. I get a roll of coins with a an account number on it. All i do is ask to open a checking account and ask for a check which will show my that banks routing number. With a routing number and the account number of someone else, it's shopping time lol.

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
rolled coins? my bank has a free coin counter in the lobby and it prints out how much you had then you can cash the receipt with a teller.