GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

We'll Never be Royal Balls #10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion
One thing that both impresses me and kind of depresses me is seeing cover bands that play complex songs PERFECTLY. Just saw a band cover 2 minutes to midnight note for note at the shittiest dive bar ever (happens to be a 1/4 mile from my house so I see anything and everything). They were so legitimately solid, except for the fat lead singer (also female, IM back vocals higher than her lols) who was legitimately off-key but hey, whatever.

This is pretty much what I do on Friday nights...

The off key lead singer didn't make you think they executed it less than perfectly?

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
The off key lead singer didn't make you think they executed it less than perfectly?

I'm all about instrumentation. This is why I listen to tech death metal and instrumental jazz. There are some vocalists out there who do it for me but I feel like they're never paired to instrumentation of their caliber and vice versa, save for some jazz collaborations. I'm not talking about stuff I see at the local dive, I mean this on a national scale. INB4 super pretentious, I already know this about myself when it comes to music.

Also edit: playing that note for note is hard (minus vocals in this case). Really impressive stuff.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
were is this bar

The rusty nail (thenail1.com has schedule). Prepare to feel dirty beyond words. Also prepare to feel worth being that dirty.

edit: if you go to the site, prepare for Frontpage 95.

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion
I'm all about instrumentation. This is why I listen to tech death metal and instrumental jazz. There are some vocalists out there who do it for me but I feel like they're never paired to instrumentation of their caliber and vice versa, save for some jazz collaborations. I'm not talking about stuff I see at the local dive, I mean this on a national scale.

I can appreciate that. I fixate on execution instrumentally as well, and the vocal addition is subject to less scrutiny in my book. But that being said, when both the instrumental portion and vocal portion are great, the result is much greater than the sum of the parts individually.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
I can appreciate that. I fixate on execution instrumentally as well, and the vocal addition is subject to less scrutiny in my book. But that being said, when both the instrumental portion and vocal portion are great, the result is much greater than the sum of the parts individually.

Totally agree...but thats why they're at a dive. If they had an energetic and spot-on vocalist I imagine they could do metal shows regionally and do well, they were that good. This is a local metalhead place, but charmingly so. I don't think anyone who plays at that bar is really too serious about it, although I've seen some fantastic stuff there. Its all about having fun, but to me its depressing to see people who knock off crazy technical stuff at the drop of a hat playing at such a place with whoever they scrounge around on craigslist to play with them. But on the other hand, its still playing in front of people and probably a really good time, so there's that. I think its a good time all around, which is the most important part of it :thumbsup:. I definitely enjoy it and its a gem in my overly-pretentious area which mostly otherwise consists of college bars (over that).

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com
If the link is really your penis, you're banned. Sorry brah.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
hi

Status
Not open for further replies.