GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Traded in my GTI for something else German...

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
I have driven both the auto and the manual version. It's nice, but not $40k nice. Enjoy your purchase, roundel fanboi

Edit: Just spec'd one out on the BMW website and to get options similar to my autobahn GTI (nav, heated seats, sunroof, keyless entry etc) it's damn near/pushing $50k.... holy fuck. PASS!

so the problem is the vehicle price? let me ask you something; gti autobahn and f30 loaded are the same price what car are you picking? the bmw f30 is the superior vehicle.. don't knock the car for its price.. price is relative to what you can afford.. its a way better car in every way with better fit and finish and its a bmw.. price diff is warranted in my opinion..

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
I have driven both the auto and the manual version. It's nice, but not $40k nice. Enjoy your purchase, roundel fanboi

Edit: Just spec'd one out on the BMW website and to get options similar to my autobahn GTI (nav, heated seats, sunroof, keyless entry etc) it's damn near/pushing $50k.... holy fuck. PASS!

lol why are you getting your panties in a bunch over the price? If you can afford something and you love it why does it matter if it's overpriced? Its a nice car and since you aren't in the same financial position as the OP why don't you just stick to commenting on the car and not on the price. Maybe work a bit harder in life and you can buy stuff that people think are over priced.

Nice car OP, any plans on modding it at all?

BP11

Banned
For a 240hp fairly basic camcord feeling sedan, I think it's a silly purchase and would not ever consider it. Who says I'm not in the same financial standpoint? Just because I don't want to get a basic trim BMW for $50k doesn't mean I couldn't. For that kind of outlay I'd want something a lot better than an I4T.... just sad really.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
For a 240hp fairly basic camcord feeling sedan, I think it's a silly purchase and would not ever consider it. Who says I'm not in the same financial standpoint? Just because I don't want to get a basic trim BMW for $50k doesn't mean I couldn't. For that kind of outlay I'd want something a lot better than an I4T.... just sad really.

the point is why do you care if someone overpaid for something? It's not your money so leave the money out of it and just comment on the car.

The only time people comment on cost is usually when they are jealous and can't afford the same purchase.

Ryan T.

Passed Driver's Ed
lol why are you getting your panties in a bunch over the price? If you can afford something and you love it why does it matter if it's overpriced? Its a nice car and since you aren't in the same financial position as the OP why don't you just stick to commenting on the car and not on the price. Maybe work a bit harder in life and you can buy stuff that people think are over priced.

Nice car OP, any plans on modding it at all?

Not sure. The JB4 piggyback tunes boosts output quite a bit - 300hp-ish. Not sure I want to worry about warranty issues ATM though since I'm going to be piling up the miles commuting.

Haha okay man. My other car is a tuned '11 Mustang GT with 420+ HP and a full suspension setup. There's more to a car than power. Things like comfort, ride, handling all play a role. Enjoy your Camry though - it's basically a BMW!

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion

Said like a complete fool.

Basic trim BMW's are $35k, $50k is pretty much loaded.

There is no better automatic sedan on the market for less money.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I'm not a BMW fan personally. My friends 335 just fell apart after 3 yrs. Didn't impress me. For $50k there are better options IMO.

BMW's were the handling benchmark but the new platform had not won many fans over. Even the new Lexus IS got rated better in most car rag comparos.

It is a nice looking car and congrats on your purchase.

Jeff

BP11

Banned
Said like a complete fool.

Basic trim BMW's are $35k, $50k is pretty much loaded.

There is no better automatic sedan on the market for less money.

I said it was basic because in the 3 series lineup, it IS basic. It's the second cheapest one.... 320, 328, 335, M3

Haha okay man. My other car is a tuned '11 Mustang GT with 420+ HP and a full suspension setup. There's more to a car than power. Things like comfort, ride, handling all play a role. Enjoy your Camry though - it's basically a BMW!

Interesting how guys who can supposedly afford to buy an overpriced bimmer have such poor reading comprehension - i'm sure that goes over well at your very well paid jobs.... LAWL

I don't own a camry, I can afford to purchase one of these, and no i'm not jealous by any means.

Yeah buddy good for you you've got a Mustang. CSB, my dad has one too - who gives a fuck?

I bought a GTI because it does things well that I value in a car, for a price that I felt was fair for the product itself. Clearly we all have very different needs and wants in a car. I sincerely do hope y'all enjoy your BMW's as thats what cars are for - enjoyment. Saw one on the road today (red with the M wheels) I will admit that they do look very striking - especially given the looks of the previous gen.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Not sure. The JB4 piggyback tunes boosts output quite a bit - 300hp-ish. Not sure I want to worry about warranty issues ATM though since I'm going to be piling up the miles commuting.

That's true and I guess you got the mustang when you want to go out and have come real fun.

DarkCloak

Banned
nice. they look so big now! congrats.

They actually are "so big now." A few weeks ago in a parking lot I noted a 1980s Gen I M5 parked next to a new 3 series. The 3 series is taller, wider, and longer. Hence, the need for the 1 and 2 series.

The 5 series is now massive, the 7 series requires a CDL to operate.

Most cars have gotten bigger. I also noted the new Altima in a parking lot that is like 30% larger than the 90s model that replaced the Stanza.

Ryan T.

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting how guys who can supposedly afford to buy an overpriced bimmer have such poor reading comprehension - i'm sure that goes over well at your very well paid jobs.... LAWL

I don't own a camry, I can afford to purchase one of these, and no i'm not jealous by any means.

Yeah buddy good for you you've got a Mustang. CSB, my dad has one too - who gives a fuck?

I bought a GTI because it does things well that I value in a car, for a price that I felt was fair for the product itself. Clearly we all have very different needs and wants in a car. I hope y'all enjoy your BMW's, saw one on the road today (red with the M wheels) I will admit that they do look very striking - especially given the looks of the previous gen.

Did you read my post? I love the GTI. I even said it's better value than the BMW. You're the one that compared it to a Camry, which is just nonsense.

If you want to compare it to a VW, start with the Golf R at 36k since it has AWD. Add a ZF automatic transmission, power seats, much better nav / technology pack, RWD bias, better interior, 4 years of all maintenance except tires, comfort access with touch less trunk opening, adaptive headlights, etc. etc. Not to mention the "i4T" that you'd never pay for is substantially faster than the Golf R.

I never claimed it was the biggest value in the world. But it has a lot of kit you can't just ignore.

BP11

Banned
Did you read my post? I love the GTI. I even said it's better value than the BMW. You're the one that compared it to a Camry, which is just nonsense.

If you want to compare it to a VW, start with the Golf R at 36k since it has AWD. Add a ZF automatic transmission, power seats, much better nav / technology pack, RWD bias, better interior, 4 years of all maintenance except tires, comfort access with adaptive headlights, etc. etc. Not to mention the "i4T" that you'd never pay for is substantially faster than the Golf R.

I never claimed it was the biggest value in the world. But it has a lot of kit you can't just ignore.

I was comparing the overall driving feel to that of a camry because it feels like one... very removed driving experience - but hey that's just my opinion!! Never compared it to a GTI as they're totally different beasts.

Ryan T.

Passed Driver's Ed
I was comparing the overall driving feel to that of a camry because it feels like one... very boring - but that's just my opinion!! Never compared it to a GTI as they're totally different beasts.

Okay well I don't know what car you drove, but if you think a Camry and any 3 series are comparable, I guess I'll just stop arguing because we obviously have different world views.

Ryan T.

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh, and thanks for the kind words guys. i'll still be around these boards - may end up in a Mk7 R someday :)

DarkCloak

Banned
Okay well I don't know what car you drove, but if you think a Camry and any 3 series are comparable, I guess I'll just stop arguing because we obviously have different world views.

Might need to let this go. He has no credibility from his comment and is simply jealous because he cannot afford a Bimmer. This guy either hasn't driven a 3 series or has not driven a Camry. There only similarity is being sedans. Comparing the Camry and Bimmer to each other is like comparing kettlebells to dumbells. Both weigh 70lbs but are completely different when used. The Bimmer is a completely different experience from a Camry

The 3 series is quite good, not the most wowingly awesome car ever. Just a very good one that is consistent. It is still probably the world's best sedan!

Congrats on the purchase Ryan. I hope you enjoy your new Car