GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wife's car

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
CX-5 is not a good option. Ask Plac.

Slower than balls.

With the bigger engine, doe?

I am not sure... I don't know what engine is in the Placwifemobile and what the bigger engine the offer is.

CX-5 is slower than balls with every engine option, the 6MT+2.0 being the least slow IIRC but somehow I doubt a woman with kids and dogs looking at crossovers is interested in a manual transmission :lol:

How much for a GTI steering wheel with paddles? $500+?

No clue, but probably around $500 yeah. Maybe less since lots of kids playing racecar with their DSG GTI's end up crashing them.

Coogles

Go Kart Newbie
Nicely packaged Mk7 Golf is a fine machine! Why not. Basic shape of most small 'cross-overs' etc. Decent performance etc.

Less cargo space than her current Jetta.

Look into Subaru
Outback or other Subaru model

They're all snoozefests, doesn't at all solve the fun to drive problem.

JSW.

/thread

Would be perfect, but she's a good ol' wagon-hatin' 'Merican.

With the bigger engine, doe?

Love me some Plac-readin, but not going to take his advice on which car to buy.:fighting0030:

WAP

Go Kart Champion
I am not sure... I don't know what engine is in the Placwifemobile and what the bigger engine the offer is.

Base engine:
2.0L 155hp

Optional engine:
2.5L 184hp

Supposed to be not bad to drive with the 2.5. I'm guessing Mrs. Plac has the 2.0? :iono:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Plac has the loaded 2.5

myMK6fool

Ready to race!
I feel like if you got her in a Passat wagon or a JSW, she might change her mind.

Jetta and JSW = Same car, more Mom

It could be worse. They could have wood panels. (but let's be honest, that would be kinda, really, sorta awesome)

WAP

Go Kart Champion
CX-5 is slower than balls with every engine option, the 6MT+2.0 being the least slow IIRC but somehow I doubt a woman with kids and dogs looking at crossovers is interested in a manual transmission :lol:

2.0 is less slow than the 2.5 with 29 less hp in the 2.0??

The 2.5 does 0-60 in 7.6 per C&D.
http://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/cx-5

Definitely not uber fast, but no worse than others in this class, no? Sorry, too lazy to look up specs on CRV, Rav4, etc.

Would be perfect, but she's a good ol' wagon-hatin' 'Merican.

My condolences.

Plac has the loaded 2.5

Well, he's never satisfied with anything. :laugh:

Trade her in for a newer Euro model?

:clap::laugh:

WAP

Go Kart Champion
^Yea, no manual on the 2.5.

Meh, still a good car for what it's supposed to do/be for who it's supposed to be for.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
His wife probably can't drive stick anyways. Not sure why it is relevant.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
CX5 is going to be too small if a Jetta is too small. It's a mazda3 that's been jacked up a bit, it's smaller than a Golf inside.

Further, it will NOT be more fun to drive than a Jetta.

Maybe you can get a used A4 Allroad for $30k or less, but that probably still "looks too much like a wagon" - stupid fucking bitches.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The Tiguan is fun to drive & a solid car, but....

-Doesn't have much room/trunk space
-Crappy gas mileage (wife's is FWD) especially in city driving, and it's even worse with 4motion
-The automatic/slush box is TERRIBLE & ruins the 2.0T "experience" (if you're used to a GTI with either the manual or DSG)

On older ones...
-TSI engine issues (intake manifold, chain tensioner, carbon buildup, water pump)
-Fuse box recall
-Auto trans "fix" (a new tune/flash)
-Fuel pump recall (just a ECU flash)
-On the pano roof, the drains can clog & ruin/stain the headliner. Some complain about the roof creaking too, I might add (it's a big hole in the roof)

But even with all that, I don't regret getting it. Ours hasn't had any issues (@20k miles now) except for the fuel pump recall/flash .
It's one of the nicer ones in the segment IMO, and you don't see many on the road.

Ford Escapes are EVERYWHERE here in Michigan....a dime a dozen. No thank you.
I'd take the Lincoln MKC (it's sister) instead

The CX-5 looks nice/stylish, but some of the materials feel cheap & the engine leaves a lot to be desired although it does get great fuel economy.

Last edited:

Coogles

Go Kart Newbie
CX5 is going to be too small if a Jetta is too small. It's a mazda3 that's been jacked up a bit, it's smaller than a Golf inside.

Further, it will NOT be more fun to drive than a Jetta.

Maybe you can get a used A4 Allroad for $30k or less, but that probably still "looks too much like a wagon" - stupid fucking bitches.

CX-5 has 34.1 cubic feet of cargo space with the seats up, 64.8 down. MK7 Golf is 22.8 and 52.7, respectively. Can also guarantee it would be more fun that the Jetta. It's a nice cruiser, but I don't know if it's the torsion beam rear or what, but that thing handles like a damn pig. Soft, tons of body roll, just not fun in any way. Even the base Passat loaner I had when by pressure plate was being replaced under warranty was more entertaining.

1st Gen RDX is probably the leader at this point. Going to check one out this weekend if it's still there by then.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
CX-5 has 34.1 cubic feet of cargo space with the seats up, 64.8 down. MK7 Golf is 22.8 and 52.7, respectively.

That's mostly added roof height, but it is a little bigger you are right.

He doesn't look too happy about the cat food though...