GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Snow guard may not actually be a snow guard

wlfpck

Ready to race!
I think I figured out the snowguard conundrum. It was widely accepted before as it was used to prevent snow. Working on a process system at work sparked an idea and I figured I would post it.

The baffled piece is not a snow guard. Rather I believe that it is baffled to ensure even distribution of intake air across the entire cross sectional area of a panel filter.

This is done so that the dust/particles in the intake air is trapped evenly across the entire filter.

Taking out the "snow guard", I believe that the result will be that on the panel filter, closest to where the air comes IN, there will be more dirt/particles than on the point on the panel filter where it is the furthest from where the air comes in. That's why when you look at the "snow guard" the point that is the FURTHEST from where the air comes IN, is unbaffled. Everywhere else is baffled.

However, that being said... The baffles would cause a restriction on the air coming in. With how small the air box is... I don't think there would be any problems in the removal of the "snow guard". In all honesty, there may not even be a major noticeable difference in the distribution of dirtiness across a panel filter with and without the baffles.

Others can feel free to chime in.

josh.dsg

Ready to race!
Yeah I always thought "snow guard" was just forum talk.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Sr. Rocket scientist here...

I was thinking the same thing. That this piece is like the honeycomb or other stuffers used in mass airflow sensors to clean up the flow prior to the sensor.

But, just speculation. Also, I'm only a Jr. Rocket polisher. And I'm bad at it.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Ok, for spring and summer, it's an "air baffle", then early next winter we can rename it a "snow guard". That way, it always has some imagined function.

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
Ok, for spring and summer, it's an "air baffle", then early next winter we can rename it a "snow guard". That way, it always has some imagined function.

Currently I'll call mine "dust particle collector" as it's sitting in a drawer in my garage.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Sr. Rocket scientist here...

I was thinking the same thing. That this piece is like the honeycomb or other stuffers used in mass airflow sensors to clean up the flow prior to the sensor.

But, just speculation. Also, I'm only a Jr. Rocket polisher. And I'm bad at it.

The reason I said it was just there to promote even distribution of dust/dirt over the entire cross sectional area of the filter is due to the following:

The filter itself is restrictive enough that it will "smooth" out the air flow. As a result, the baffles are not needed to "clean up" the flow. The baffles are mainly there to promote even distribution.

Reason I thought of this was due to the baffles that were installed in some process equipment out in the plant and therefore I thought of this.

At the same time... I think the baffles may be a bit much as the air box is pretty small. While the dirt/dust distribution may not be even across the entire filter's cross sectional area, the benefits of removing that restriction is more beneficial. The air box is small enough that in general, the dust/dirt distribution will be even enough.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
The reason I said it was just there to promote even distribution of dust/dirt over the entire cross sectional area of the filter is due to the following:

The filter itself is restrictive enough that it will "smooth" out the air flow. As a result, the baffles are not needed to "clean up" the flow. The baffles are mainly there to promote even distribution.

Reason I thought of this was due to the baffles that were installed in some process equipment out in the plant and therefore I thought of this.

At the same time... I think the baffles may be a bit much as the air box is pretty small. While the dirt/dust distribution may not be even across the entire filter's cross sectional area, the benefits of removing that restriction is more beneficial. The air box is small enough that in general, the dust/dirt distribution will be even enough.

I agree.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I always thought "snow guard" was just forum talk.

[emoji4] it seems that it's actually called " Snow Screen"

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Maybe the guard also helps to catch any water spray that might enter the intake.
The water drops hit the grill, collect and drop down to bottom of the air box and drain out.

I think that you are correct

Last edited: