GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DG Springs on MK7

• Thread starter Deleted member 137012
  • Start date

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Again, with the ED Springs I have not rubbed once. Ride feels pretty much like stock. And It still doesnt really look like i'm driving a "lowered" car even with the 1.2 inch drop.

DG springs.... lol just look at the massive wheel gaps in pics posted above. Doesn't even look like suspension was changed whatsoever.

To each his own, not everyone wants to replace struts/dampers.

ED springs have a somewhat sketchy past in my eyes. The first batch of A3 springs sent wheels up into the wheel well, there’s also been binding/paint flake issues and currently some people are reporting sagging after a year.

I have been skeptical of ED since they never refuse to release spring rates when launched. Doesn’t seem they approach R&D like others and might have rushed their product to market. No one wants to be a beta tester when paying full price.

For a drop similar to ED, I would personally go with VWR, MSS Kits or Eibach Pro-Kit Springs (the linear euro ones).

I’ve been researching this to death and will be leaping soon.

Junebugz_GTI10

Ready to race!

ED springs have a somewhat sketchy past in my eyes. The first batch of A3 springs sent wheels up into the wheel well, there’s also been binding/paint flake issues and currently some people are reporting sagging after a year.

I have been skeptical of ED since they never refuse to release spring rates when launched. Doesn’t seem they approach R&D like others and might have rushed their product to market. No one wants to be a beta tester when paying full price.

For a drop similar to ED, I would personally go with VWR, MSS Kits or Eibach Pro-Kit Springs (the linear euro ones).

So you're Team DG? I'm VWR when I think I want the "more Low" look then I'm DG when I think about the wear and tear on the stock suspension. I'll be leaping soon as well.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
So you're Team DG? I'm VWR when I think I want the "more Low" look then I'm DG when I think about the wear and tear on the stock suspension. I'll be leaping soon as well.
Don't forget about H&R OE Sports. DG like drop but better handling. Bit stiffer is the trade off.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Ominous Idle

To me the MK7.5 seems to lower more on these springs... can’t figure out if that’s visual or real.

I have been thinking the exact same thing! It sure seems that way to me. I am having this same internal debate euro pro-kit vs DG. As such I am obsessively looking at the pictures in the noted threads. :) I am trying not to let it influence my decision as I have a mk7.

BMAN

Go Kart Newbie
I just lowered my GTI Sport with H&R springs and I'm surprised how low it is.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
I put DG on my 2018 GTI. After installation and settling my fender to wheel center distances are: F 347.6mm and R 344.4mm.

Measure your stock FTC distances and compare to mine to get a feel for where your fender lips would end up after DG installation.

To put in perspective, I have 2017 1.8T Golf with ED springs. Had them on since 300 miles, now 36k. Here are my current measurements: F 330mm and R 335mm

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Here's the skinny, to help you decide.

.75 drop and OE ride: DG
.75 drop and tighter ride: H&R OE Sport
.75-1.0 drop and OE Ride: Eibach Pro-Kit Euro
1.0 drop and tighter ride: Eibach Pro-Kit NA
1.0 drop and tighter ride: 034 Dynamic+
1.1 drop and in between: Neuspeed Sport
1.2 drop and OE ride: VWR
1.2 drop and OE ride: ED
1.3 drop and tighter ride: H&R Sport

That isn't everything, but it's most of them. When I say OE or tighter ride, I don't mean they all ride the same, just that they are on that side of the spectrum. Correct me if I am wrong anyone and I can update.

OE ride just means more plush and more bounce. Tighter means less bounce and more more feedback.

Anything below the first three will need the struts and shocked replaced sooner or later, the lower you go the sooner you need to replace them. I got all these drops from specs, real world experience varies some.

Last edited:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
demi9od, when are you installing the Eibach Euro Pro-Kit you bought? Looking forward to pics.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
It's all a matter of opinion. Personally I like the look of a gap on top that is equal to the gap in front and behind the tire. There is a symmetry there that I find appealing. Not everyone wants a tucked or nearly tucked look.

Not a tucked look, just a no wheel gap look. Car looks awkward with the top gap

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
Here's the skinny, to help you decide.

.75 drop and OE ride: DG, Pro-Kit Euro
.75 drop and tighter ride: H&R OE Sport
.75-1.0 drop and OE Ride: Eibach Pro-Kit Euro
1.0 drop and tighter ride: Eibach Pro-Kit NA
1.0 drop and tighter ride: 034 Dynamic+
1.1 drop and in between: Neuspeed Sport
1.2 drop and OE ride: VWR
1.2 drop and OE ride: ED
1.3 drop and tighter ride: H&R Sport

That isn't everything, but it's most of them. When I say OE or tighter ride, I don't mean they all ride the same, just that they are on that side of the spectrum. Correct me if I am wrong anyone and I can update.

OE ride just means more plush and more bounce. Tighter means less bounce and more more feedback.

Anything below the first three will need the struts and shocked replaced sooner or later, the lower you go the sooner you need to replace them. I got all these drops from specs, real world experience varies some.
These are maybe accurate for GTI but not for 1.8T OP has. ED springs gave me a good 1.6 drop. I wish though it was 1.2

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
These are maybe accurate for GTI but not for 1.8T OP has. ED springs gave me a good 1.6 drop. I wish though it was 1.2

I think OP can just add about .3 to all these numbers.

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!

I did a shit ton of research beforehand too and generally found people had better reviews of ED in terms of ride quality. Only thing that made me choose ED is reviews were more consistent, whereas VWR had a LOT of people saying they ride amazing and a bunch of people who said they are way too bouncy as well.

Agreed though I think earlier revisions of ED had a lot of issues. Looks like they have all been solved though.

No regrets with ED so far. TBH If I knew I wouldn't scrape whatsoever I would have gone even lower. Toronto roads are fine on the ED springs.