GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

Since 9/11, I’ve had a job that requires 24/7 mobility and I’ve always had winter tires and AWD – Yukon, Audi S6, r32, BMW 335, but I moved closer to work a few years ago and bought my current Acura (still with winter tires). Now, it looks like I’ll be commuting daily about 50 miles each way (in all weather conditions). The last five miles are up a windy hill where there is often very significant fog – to the point where you have to drive by listening for the dots on the road (double in the middle and single on the outside). Long story short, I need a new car. I’ve narrowed it down to the following and listed the downsides as I’m also going to use this for a DD. I decided to post this here because each of other forums would be heavily biased.
New’ish (2018?) 4Runner Limited – downsides – crappy headlights (you know how I feel about lighting upgrades) and lousy A/C in the rear (the dog won’t be happy) – upsides – reliable, goes everywhere, semi-OK gas mileage.
New’ish (2017?) Lexus GX460 – downsides – more expensive, crappy turning radius, not great gas mileage – upsides – good lights, great rear A/C, comfy ride
2013-2015 Lexus LX/Toyota Land Cruiser – downsides – price, gas mileage, size – upsides – holds value, reliable
I’ve eliminated anything that isn’t reliable but have I missed anything? Anybody here have any of the above and wants to chime in?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Since 9/11, I’ve had a job that requires 24/7 mobility and I’ve always had winter tires and AWD – Yukon, Audi S6, r32, BMW 335, but I moved closer to work a few years ago and bought my current Acura (still with winter tires). Now, it looks like I’ll be commuting daily about 50 miles each way (in all weather conditions). The last five miles are up a windy hill where there is often very significant fog – to the point where you have to drive by listening for the dots on the road (double in the middle and single on the outside). Long story short, I need a new car. I’ve narrowed it down to the following and listed the downsides as I’m also going to use this for a DD. I decided to post this here because each of other forums would be heavily biased.
New’ish (2018?) 4Runner Limited – downsides – crappy headlights (you know how I feel about lighting upgrades) and lousy A/C in the rear (the dog won’t be happy) – upsides – reliable, goes everywhere, semi-OK gas mileage.
New’ish (2017?) Lexus GX460 – downsides – more expensive, crappy turning radius, not great gas mileage – upsides – good lights, great rear A/C, comfy ride
2013-2015 Lexus LX/Toyota Land Cruiser – downsides – price, gas mileage, size – upsides – holds value, reliable
I’ve eliminated anything that isn’t reliable but have I missed anything? Anybody here have any of the above and wants to chime in?

Based on your descriptions it sounds the Lexus GX460 is the best all around.

JD-1

Ready to race!

radiantrussian

Hi, new here, I'm looking at a set of tires + rims for a good deal, but they are 235/45R 17 94H and every recommended Golf width states 225 on the high end. I'm guessing it's not a good idea to mount these on a Comfortline, but what are the risks involved? Warranty problems? Glad there's a stupid questions thread lol.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I'm very confused trying to buy Bilstein B8's on USP's website. They list
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Bilstein-35-229919.htmland
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Bilstein-B8-Series-Front-MQB-Monotube-Shock-Absorber.html
Under the same part number... are they wrong? Its also listed as "36mm front" when searching. I know our shocks are 55m. Bilstein only lists ONE (WITHOUT DCC) on their own part catalog. Any help here? I want to take advantage of the coupon they have..
That part# is correct, I'd imagine you'd get the same thing no matter which one you ordered.

What coupon do they have? You should be able to get those under $200 each if you shop around...

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
my gf just got a jeep cherokee limited (top package), its honestly a really nice good car, thats cheaper than the ones you mentioned. look into that.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I'm very confused trying to buy Bilstein B8's on USP's website. They list
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Bilstein-35-229919.htmland
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Bilstein-B8-Series-Front-MQB-Monotube-Shock-Absorber.html
Under the same part number... are they wrong? Its also listed as "36mm front" when searching. I know our shocks are 55m. Bilstein only lists ONE (WITHOUT DCC) on their own part catalog. Any help here? I want to take advantage of the coupon they have..
call USP and ask them?

gulpozen

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf TSI
I've found the area in OBDEleven to change the temperature at which the outdoor temp warning 'ding' comes on. However, I don't know the security code to use for it. Anyone know what it is?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Hi, new here, I'm looking at a set of tires + rims for a good deal, but they are 235/45R 17 94H and every recommended Golf width states 225 on the high end. I'm guessing it's not a good idea to mount these on a Comfortline, but what are the risks involved? Warranty problems? Glad there's a stupid questions thread lol.

That tire size is a non issue as far as fitting on the car. It's the wheels you have to worry about. 225 is the max width for some of the narrower VW wheels, but if you have new wheels that are 7.5 or 8 inches wide, 235's will fit fine. For reference, 235 will fit on a 7.5" GTI wheel fine and 235s come standard on the R wheels that are 8". Check out willtheyfit.com and enter your current wheel and tire specs and they new ones.

JD-1

Ready to race!
I ran 235s on a 7.5 wide wheel and it felt good. More comfort than 225 for sure. It does throw off your speedo a bit if you care about that though.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I've found the area in OBDEleven to change the temperature at which the outdoor temp warning 'ding' comes on. However, I don't know the security code to use for it. Anyone know what it is?
Which control module?