GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

I don't know what it's called but I prefer the other type of TPMS that has a sensor in the wheel that sets a dash warning if a tire is down to or below 28psi. When that warning comes on you can be sure that you have a tire leaking. Can we convert ours to that type?

Diggs is right for a change :)

Yes, the direct type of sensors are far more accurate and react far faster. They also work better for time and temperature based air loss as (in theory) all tires will lose the same amount - ergo the rolling diameter of all 4 tires will be the same.

While Diggs is correct as far as an OEM solution is concerned, there are aftermarket solutions that require sensors in your wheels, receivers and a display on your dashboard - very clunky and I have no idea how well they work.

Another alternative are valve stem caps that show you the tire pressure. You buy the appropriate caps for the tire pressure for your car and it will show green when the pressure is at, or above, whatever cap you've bought. If the pressure is a bit low, then it'll show yellow, then red.

While the caps work, you actually need to look at each one to see if they are green.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Diggs is right for a change :)

Yes, the direct type of sensors are far more accurate and react far faster. They also work better for time and temperature based air loss as (in theory) all tires will lose the same amount - ergo the rolling diameter of all 4 tires will be the same.

While Diggs is correct as far as an OEM solution is concerned, there are aftermarket solutions that require sensors in your wheels, receivers and a display on your dashboard - very clunky and I have no idea how well they work.

Another alternative are valve stem caps that show you the tire pressure. You buy the appropriate caps for the tire pressure for your car and it will show green when the pressure is at, or above, whatever cap you've bought. If the pressure is a bit low, then it'll show yellow, then red.

While the caps work, you actually need to look at each one to see if they are green.

Thanks I hadn't thought of the caps. When I'm out making deliveries the caps would be better because I wouldn't have to bother checking a tire with a gauge and then just reset the light.

cb1111

Thanks I hadn't thought of the caps. When I'm out making deliveries the caps would be better because I wouldn't have to bother checking a tire with a gauge and then just reset the light.
Get the ones that are specific to the pressure and not the generic crap on Amazon.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
38k on my 2017 GTI. I’ve noticed my fuel economy has been down over my last few fill ups. I have not changed my driving habits. Any chance it could need a carbon cleaning already?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
38k on my 2017 GTI. I’ve noticed my fuel economy has been down over my last few fill ups. I have not changed my driving habits. Any chance it could need a carbon cleaning already?

Doubtful that you need carbon cleaning with those miles. You might want to change the spark plugs. How do you check mileage?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I ordered tire pressure valve stem caps from a company called Quick Pressure. Anybody had any experience with these?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Does using Torco to boost octane cause any potential damage if used all the time? I had one company tell me that it's not good for the injectors.