GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beginner here, no clue where to start.

therealslimhazy

hey everyone, just wanted to see your guys' thoughts. i've been wanting to do some mods to my 2017 mk7 gti that i just got. i've been told by some people that you HAVE to mod this car, and then a few other people saying to NOT, NO, NEVER EVER mod this car, even software tuning cause i'm just gonna get check engine lights forever, problems with other parts, etc etc. Now my question is...what types of "beginner" mods CAN i do to my gti that will make it sound better(not crazy loud/drony, but a little more boost sound) and make it a little bit quicker/faster without like, voiding the warranty or causing problems with other parts or engine down the road. it is my daily driver, so i'm not trying to super mod it into a track car. just some mods that make it sound like "ooooo damn thats nice" while also adding some HP.
Cause that's my biggest fear, is if i mod something like Stage 1, or downpipe, etc...and then 2k miles later my clutch blows out or i now have to replace 2 other pieces, etc.

So in summary, what are the SAFEST mods that you can do to increase boost sound, a little more exhaust sound, all while increasing the HP a bit but keeping the daily driveability.

ty in advance

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You're first 2 mods should be sticky tires and a rear sway bar. For most people that's enough to fix the car's main shortcomings.

If the car is DSG, then a stg 1 tune will wake up the car. If 6spd mt, then it's likely going to eat the clutch. The pressure plate in the manuals is pretty weak. JB4 is the tuning solution you want if you're concerned about warranty.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
For tuning, your only choice is a piggyback, such as JB1/4, Neuspeed, or one of the more obscure ones. That way, you can keep your drivetrain warranty if you have under 50,000 miles. Don't be concerned about your clutch, because it's not covered, and you would need a heavy duty one anyway if you tune your car. As for exhaust, no inline 4-sounds good.

therealslimhazy

You're first 2 mods should be sticky tires and a rear sway bar. For most people that's enough to fix the car's main shortcomings.

If the car is DSG, then a stg 1 tune will wake up the car. If 6spd mt, then it's likely going to eat the clutch. The pressure plate in the manuals is pretty weak. JB4 is the tuning solution you want if you're concerned about warranty.
oh yeah, sorry. i forgot to mention mine is a 6 spd mt.

therealslimhazy

For tuning, your only choice is a piggyback, such as JB1/4, Neuspeed, or one of the more obscure ones. That way, you can keep your drivetrain warranty if you have under 50,000 miles. Don't be concerned about your clutch, because it's not covered, and you would need a heavy duty one anyway if you tune your car. As for exhaust, no inline 4-sounds good.
ty, i will research that stuff. cause i literally have no idea wtf a piggyback is lmao xD title says it all..i am a beginner at his lowest knowledge so you guys have to talk to me like im in 3rd grade when it comes to this stuff lmao.
and also, i'm not seeing anything about inline 4 exhaust...just stuff on bikes

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
oh yeah, sorry. i forgot to mention mine is a 6 spd mt.

With JB4, you can leave below 4000 rpm stock and get some gains above that and minimize the clutch issues.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
Firstly, welcome to the forums. If you have any questions, this is the place to ask. Your friends may tell you all sorts of stuff about your car, but the people on here know their GTIs, so if you have questions or issues, don't be afraid to ask!

Secondly, there are a lot of threads already on here. This forum has been around for years, so lots of people have probably had the same questions as you. If you're unsure, the search feature is probably the fastest way to get a question answered.

Third, your questions.

There's a lot you can do, so it's really a matter of personal preference (like everything else ever). It does seem like you're relatively new to performance modding, so doing some of your own research to figure stuff out is a good way to start.

You said you wanted more turbo sounds, so an intake is the best way to go for that. Open intakes are very loud, closed ones are a little quieter, and a drop-in filter for the stock airbox is likely the quietest. Don't bother with a turbo muffler delete, since the sound difference is not very noticeable.

For power, JB1 is probably your best bet right now. Not too much power to break things (unless you're an idiot), and should not void a warranty. But, the best thing to start out with, as stated earlier, are tires. You can't use power without grip!

therealslimhazy

Firstly, welcome to the forums. If you have any questions, this is the place to ask. Your friends may tell you all sorts of stuff about your car, but the people on here know their GTIs, so if you have questions or issues, don't be afraid to ask!

Secondly, there are a lot of threads already on here. This forum has been around for years, so lots of people have probably had the same questions as you. If you're unsure, the search feature is probably the fastest way to get a question answered.

Third, your questions.

There's a lot you can do, so it's really a matter of personal preference (like everything else ever). It does seem like you're relatively new to performance modding, so doing some of your own research to figure stuff out is a good way to start.

You said you wanted more turbo sounds, so an intake is the best way to go for that. Open intakes are very loud, closed ones are a little quieter, and a drop-in filter for the stock airbox is likely the quietest. Don't bother with a turbo muffler delete, since the sound difference is not very noticeable.

For power, JB1 is probably your best bet right now. Not too much power to break things (unless you're an idiot), and should not void a warranty. But, the best thing to start out with, as stated earlier, are tires. You can't use power without grip!
ty so much for the friendliness! i was definitely thinking i was gonna get bashed for asking such noob questions lmao.
i have done a lot of research so far, just want to ask people up front(instead of just watching videos where i cant ask questions.
so yeah, im not trying to overly mod the car. like when i have to upgrade the clutch, then that might be a little too much modding for what iwant. i dont race or anything, mostly city/highway driving. so i just wanna be able to sound nice and add just a little more"oomf"to the car lol

therealslimhazy

Third, your questions.

so as far as tires go, what are some of the best(somewhat cost efficient) tires that you would choose?

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I think that the beginning of any modifications should start with the questions: (1) how rich are you or how much in debt do you want to go? and (2) how many of these modifications that everyone on here will tell you about CAN you do yourself? Do you plan to track the car at all or is this just a daily driver with spirited weekend drives? Does your model have the Performance Package? I went with a rear sway bar (as mentioned) and light weight wheels with summer tires (Continental Extreme Contact Sport) and winters (Continental DWS 06), here there are many options. As for a daily driver I think it has sufficient power but that is me and I don't care to pay the piper. You could do the clutch delay delete that will be mentioned. I also changed the front calipers to a 4 piston unit. these are some I did to my 17 GTI Sport. Good Luck

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
so as far as tires go, what are some of the best(somewhat cost efficient) tires that you would choose?

Cost efficient? I hate to say it, but with tires you get what you pay for, really.

Michelin's pilot sport 4s are probably the best option overall, Pilot sport A/S are very good, and I've heard good things about Firehawk's Indy 500 set. Those are reasonably priced