GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beginner here, no clue where to start.

therealslimhazy

Having just gone through "modding" my Mk7.5 afresh, with no previous knowledge of this platform or of modding a front wheel drive hatchback, I pursued the low hanging fruit (not always the best way to go about doing things, but it's an introduction).

For me the low hanging fruit:

-Tires (the stock tires are practically rental car grade),
-Drop in performance Air Filter & Snowgrate removal (makes a little woosh noise!),
-Neuspeed Power Module

I'm using a JB4 now, but for ease of use, Plug & Play leaving no physical trace of anything, the NPM on +5 is a set it and forget it little boost of joy for someone who wants a slight kick over factory for daily driving. The JB4 is superior as a tool overall however, and the better mod to go with long term. But that NPM is so simple!

so the NPM is really that simple? lol sounds almost too good to be true. i have a 6 speed manual, so using the NPM, would i have to upgrade any major components(clutch, downpipe, etc.) so the stock parts dont break quicker than usual?
and the performance drop in air filter really works?

and @everyone that replied to this thread, ty btw....after a few weeks of driving and getting to know the car a lot more, this is what i've finally decided to do:

1. Tires for sure! cause a few weeks in, i definitely get what all you guys are saying.
2. Double U headlights(i only have the outer U, which does anyone know....i thought the lighting package included the double U's, or at least being able to code it for DRL or something but i was obv wrong, correct? haha)
3. RSB
4. (and this is within a year or so) an intake for a little more sound than stock. i dont like how too quiet my car is haha.

So as you can tell, i'm more than happy with the power of the car, it being my D/D...so i'm going to be working on a few handling mods and the rest cosmetic mods, with the high possibility of a closed intake system for a little(but not overly obnoxious sound, since again, it is my D/D).

**ALSO ALSO** i've been hearing a lot about taking the snow guard off the gti and that supposedly makes it sound a tad bit louder/nicer? any truth/real experiences with this?

Last edited:

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
What headlights are you switching to? I'm baffled by anyone worrying about "two U's" lighting up if they already have our good lighting package headlights. Hope you're not switching to something inferior just for those goofy led "u's"

therealslimhazy

What headlights are you switching to? I'm baffled by anyone worrying about "two U's" lighting up if they already have our good lighting package headlights. Hope you're not switching to something inferior just for those goofy led "u's"
honestly wouldnt have gotten the lighting package if it wasnt already on the car that i got for a really good deal. i dont think the lighting package is really all that. the double u's look way sicker imo.

Last edited:

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Switching to an aftermarket headlamp assembly from the OEM LP headlights is a bad and expensive idea. Without wiring changes your only option is a set of Osram housings. The other replicas out there will not work without a decent wiring/coding headache. The stock LP housings are pretty great. Other option is Golf R housings but they are pretty expensive and you lose the red stripe.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
so the NPM is really that simple? lol sounds almost too good to be true. i have a 6 speed manual, so using the NPM, would i have to upgrade any major components(clutch, downpipe, etc.) so the stock parts dont break quicker than usual?
and the performance drop in air filter really works?

and @everyone that replied to this thread, ty btw....after a few weeks of driving and getting to know the car a lot more, this is what i've finally decided to do:

1. Tires for sure! cause a few weeks in, i definitely get what all you guys are saying.
2. Double U headlights(i only have the outer U, which does anyone know....i thought the lighting package included the double U's, or at least being able to code it for DRL or something but i was obv wrong, correct? haha)
3. RSB
4. (and this is within a year or so) an intake for a little more sound than stock. i dont like how too quiet my car is haha.

So as you can tell, i'm more than happy with the power of the car, it being my D/D...so i'm going to be working on a few handling mods and the rest cosmetic mods, with the high possibility of a closed intake system for a little(but not overly obnoxious sound, since again, it is my D/D).

**ALSO ALSO** i've been hearing a lot about taking the snow guard off the gti and that supposedly makes it sound a tad bit louder/nicer? any truth/real experiences with this?

NPM does not require any other upgrades. Read up on manual transmission clutch longevity for NPM users . On +5 it’s a mild increase in power. +7 produces substantial torque increase probability warrant of a clutch upgrade (I have DSG, so not experienced on this matter).

As for the snow grate- yes, removing it and dropping in a performance filter does provide an increase in sound. It also performs very well For a factory air box.

therealslimhazy

Switching to an aftermarket headlamp assembly from the OEM LP headlights is a bad and expensive idea. Without wiring changes your only option is a set of Osram housings. The other replicas out there will not work without a decent wiring/coding headache. The stock LP housings are pretty great. Other option is Golf R housings but they are pretty expensive and you lose the red stripe.
yeah it's starting to grow oh me a little bit now lmao

therealslimhazy

NPM does not require any other upgrades. Read up on manual transmission clutch longevity for NPM users . On +5 it’s a mild increase in power. +7 produces substantial torque increase probability warrant of a clutch upgrade (I have DSG, so not experienced on this matter).

As for the snow grate- yes, removing it and dropping in a performance filter does provide an increase in sound. It also performs very well For a factory air box.
awesome! i will definitely look into doing that as one of the first things. removing the snow grate i can probably do myself right? obviously going to research how to do it first but yeah

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
honestly wouldnt have gotten the lighting package if it wasnt already on the car that i got for a really good deal. i dont think the lighting package is really all that. the double u's look way sicker imo.

My son has a 2018 without lighting package, I have a 2019 with lighting package. I can confirm that it is in fact all that.

If your goal is to look sick, more power to you. If your goal is to use you headlights to see at night, it's a terrible idea.

That being said, I'll take your lighting package lights to upgrade my sons car.