GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beginner here, no clue where to start.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Thanks - we all have the temptation to ask "what should I mod first" especially when we come to a forum and are slapped in the face by pages and pages of "must have" mods.

You can spend thousands to get lots of mods that you might not need.

Much, for example, depends on what you are used to driving. If you were driving a 1980's Yugo (or a Camry/Corolla or the like), then the GTI is overkill as it is and you'll drive it for 5 years before you say "I want to mod something". If you're coming from a Ferrari, then you might want to add mods now.

My point is that you should mod to what YOU see as shortcomings - not what some faceless people n the internet suggest because it is the mod of the day.

Great advice.
I've always been a bit baffled by those who buy a new car and intend to mod it right away before they've even spent time in it.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Great advice.
I've always been a bit baffled by those who buy a new car and intend to mod it right away before they've even spent time in it.
My friend bought an Evo X and it was bagged. widebodied, and big-turboed before he even told people he bought the car. He recently sold it and bought a fully loaded 2018 S3 and I assume he will do the same to it as well

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Great advice.

I echo your comments. Personally, i want to get used to the vehicle and understand more about it so that i can change (MOD) things according to my liking.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Great advice.

I'm one of the people who baffle you. I started modding mine for power right away but I've been doing that for 55 years. I didn't do anything handling wise though until I got to know the car.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've autocrossed and tracked almost every car I've owned. My last 3 cars had sways, shocks, extra wheels and 200tw tires within 1 week of purchase and started beating them.

Within the test drive I could tell the GTI needed decent tires, a rear sway, and decent alignment.

More power is always welcome too.

Beyond that, I'd agree to wait awhile, but if you're knowledgeable you'll know what you want to mod within minutes of driving a GTI. At that point, you should be doing research on which parts, setups and tuning solutions fit your needs best, and even then it's a crap shoot.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Having just gone through "modding" my Mk7.5 afresh, with no previous knowledge of this platform or of modding a front wheel drive hatchback, I pursued the low hanging fruit (not always the best way to go about doing things, but it's an introduction).

For me the low hanging fruit:

-Tires (the stock tires are practically rental car grade),
-Drop in performance Air Filter & Snowgrate removal (makes a little woosh noise!),
-Neuspeed Power Module

I'm using a JB4 now, but for ease of use, Plug & Play leaving no physical trace of anything, the NPM on +5 is a set it and forget it little boost of joy for someone who wants a slight kick over factory for daily driving. The JB4 is superior as a tool overall however, and the better mod to go with long term. But that NPM is so simple!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Having just gone through "modding" my Mk7.5 afresh, with no previous knowledge of this platform or of modding a front wheel drive hatchback, I pursued the low hanging fruit (not always the best way to go about doing things, but it's an introduction).

For me the low hanging fruit:

-Tires (the stock tires are practically rental car grade),
-Drop in performance Air Filter & Snowgrate removal (makes a little woosh noise!),
-Neuspeed Power Module

I'm using a JB4 now, but for ease of use, Plug & Play leaving no physical trace of anything, the NPM on +5 is a set it and forget it little boost of joy.
The JB4 is superior as a tool overall however, and the better mod to go with long term. But that NPM is so simple!

Now slap a rear sway bar on it and profit.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Now slap a rear sway bar on it and profit.

I prefer a balanced approach on upgrading sway bars actually- both front and rear if upgrading. I used to track a WRX with a larger rear sway bar (and factory fsb) and that thing had some odd tendencies towards oversteer at lift throttle!

I do see how a RSB only for D/D street application can make the car feel better however.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I used to track a WRX with a larger rear sway bar (and factory fsb) and that thing had some odd tendencies towards oversteer at lift throttle!

I'm totally down with some lift throttle oversteer. (y) Probably not a great option for you, as IIRC, the car is going to your son??? My 2018 S went to my son and I put the stock rear back on for him too.

Anyway, on the mk7, the rear is really sensitive to toe, but doesn't seem to really care what size RSB you use. Sam Stranos recommends a 24mm, I found a 26mm is faster, at least on an autocross course and had no weird behavior on track either. If I remember correctly too, the CSS uses a larger rear bar with the stock GTI PP front bar.

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
Welcome. Always good to have another Floridian here. It is good that you admit you are new to tuning. Too many people come here, acting like they are God's gift to tuning then ask things like: "How do I add gas to my tank?" I have Firestone 500 tires on my -R and am very happy with them. Since our winter is about 2-4 days and gets as low as 31, :cool: they work great year round. I did go to St. Louis over the holidays and they still handled OK in the slush. But, I would not recommend them if you lived there.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
^
Great Advice.
Sam Stranos used to AutoX an LS1 Camaro back in the early 2000's if I recall. Very knowledgeable resource!
Yep, he's been my go to for decades. He was the first to crack the GD STI for AS. 32mm fsb. The camber curve was so bad, it was better to have the front do nothing. Lol. Mind you that was back in the R comp days. Funny how we've come full circle with the A052 and the coming RE71RS.

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
I echo your comments. Personally, i want to get used to the vehicle and understand more about it so that i can change (MOD) things according to my liking.
I was guilty of this... got a 1.8t and had it tuned within a week.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I prefer a balanced approach on upgrading sway bars actually- both front and rear if upgrading. I used to track a WRX with a larger rear sway bar (and factory fsb) and that thing had some odd tendencies towards oversteer at lift throttle!

I do see how a RSB only for D/D street application can make the car feel better however.

I only replaced the RSB and left the front stock and the car is very neutral now.