GOLFMKV

The New APR Open Intake System is Here!

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
View attachment 188821
Going full "engineer" on @Arin@APR

The problem you're likely to see repeated with your temperature approach is that Arin will attempt to discredit it without sound logic as he's done repeatedly now in this discussion. He refers to there being real world data and dyno results that are in disagreement with user data, but doesn't provide the real world data or a description of how it was collected. He claims user data is invalid but then cannot defend why. Once called out for these empty claims he moves onto something else. It not an uncommon situation for when engineering types confront sales people. You end up playing whack'a'mole trying to get facts from them.
I have a masters in mechanical engineering. But even I “dgaf “ and “live and let live”

I know that just about any intake style will improve everything an intake should. By a hair. And that’s it.

Here’s why I take the approach I take. I’m new to vw’s. This is my first one. And I’ve only had her for about two months. Though I am now noticing particular trends.

Regardless you know better than I do. Engineers can’t sell a damn pencil. Sales people do. And when these folks are confronted with tough questions and requests for data, the truth gets stretched or muddied

It’s the nature of the beast.

There was this company. Forgot their name. But they made stuff for the supercharged cobalts. I think it was a three man team. They were honest. And always had third parties dyno before and after too. Never saw that anywhere else.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
You guys asking why we are critical of APR haven't been around here very long have you?
I’ve only been around for a bit less than two months. And even I’m noticing now that the Quattro Audi A3 and s3 guys adore them while the gti and GLI guys don’t as much. I’m willing to sit with my legs crossed for story time though. Plz.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
VW community = APR hate
Audi community = APR respect
Porsche community = APR respect

Hmm... Strange how the community of the cheaper brand hates the premium performance company.
Is there a reason for this? I’m new. Been around for about two months. And I’ve noticed that same exact trend.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
So, you throw excess money blindly because you can? This is sound logic. People on a budget typically do more research, something you may not partake in as you can afford not to.

Did your research tell you that your eBay IC and eBay catback were better than APR's?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
VW community = APR hate
Audi community = APR respect
Porsche community = APR respect

Hmm... Strange how the community of the cheaper brand hates the premium performance company.
I own both. For our Q5, the pay once and forget it thing is kind of nice. For the GTI, it's more fun to be able to switch between mods more frequently.

This isn't that different than the M3 crowd vs M5. The M5 crowd is much more likely to support brands that offer a complete solution, while the M3 guys are much more likely to go piecemeal and try to eek out more gains.

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
It's simple. People with money to spend don't care about facts, because they buy into the marketing, hype and just plain want the recognition(Gucci Prada), much like the "hyperbeast" crowd. People with little money or who count every dollar will always be a tougher consumer and try to stretch their dollar as much as possible(Old Navy, Target, Walmart clothes). It's always a good move to have "fancy products" like CF and extra bling stuff, and a bare bones products that provide the benefit it is intended to do, at a cheap price to keep both markets happy.

With that said, I'm not sure how good this move was. Tons of products already do this or better at a cheaper price. Looks great though.

Ostateballer

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S PP/LP
Did your research tell you that your eBay IC and eBay catback were better than APR's?
If you read my previous posts - APR clearly has top notch build quality and QA. I’m not willing to spend an arm and a leg across relatively similar performance among parts as you blindly would.

As far as the IC - $300 and flows better than APR ($900), though does not cool nearly as well.

http://mygolfmk7.com/mk7-gti-r-intercooler-comparison/

Second, they are both 3” cat backs. Considering it isn’t a restriction on a GTI to begin with until maybe above >400whp (10-15whp at most). Explain how their exhaust is so much better aside from build quality.

Lastly, we are on the topic of intakes here (the point of this topic). If you know about this platform at all you would know that they really don’t do jack shit beyond what a modified stock intake can do. So please, pay your lump sum just because you can.

http://mygolfmk7.com/2019/09/ultimate-mk7-gti-air-intake/

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
It's simple. People with money to spend don't care about facts, because they buy into the marketing, hype and just plain want the recognition(Gucci Prada), much like the "hyperbeast" crowd. People with little money or who count every dollar will always be a tougher consumer and try to stretch their dollar as much as possible(Old Navy, Target, Walmart clothes). It's always a good option to have "fancy products" like CF and extra bling stuff, and a bare bones products that provide the benefit it is intended to do, at a cheap price to keep both markets happy.

With that said, I'm not sure how good this move was. Tons of products already do this or better at a cheaper price. Looks great though.

I care about facts. I didn't realize that my APR IC, downpipe and tune were hype and marketing...

I'm still waiting for someone to beat Tyler Aul's/APR's MK7 GTI 1/4 mile time from three years ago. Damn hype and marketing must of given them an unfair advantage.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'm still waiting for someone to beat Tyler Aul's/APR's MK7 GTI 1/4 mile time from three years ago. Damn hype and marketing must of given them an unfair advantage.
Explain? The Googles say he's the fourth quickest GTI. Is there a weird loophole you're using? Aha, that's the quickest Mk7, gotcha.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
a fully built drag car?? yea. It should do that. Plenty of stock engine cars have dipped into the 10s. I would hope a fully built engine, clutch packs , ERF turbo, fueling, drag wheels and every mod possible on the platform with skinnies would run that time.

Not really sure what you are targeting. My post was in no way aimed to discredit anyone. Just sales facts.

Last edited:

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Personally I have owned tons of APR products - APR tune on my v10 S6, APR tune on my B8 S4, APR stage 1 and 2 tunes and APR downpipe on my Mk7 R. Some of the products APR makes are (or were, rip mqb downpipe) the best available - like their intercooler if you want an OEM location unit.

That doesn't stop me from being critical of the products. It's not because I cant afford them, its the principal of the matter. The marketing materials posted here on this forum to attempt to discredit independent scientific testing are dishonest and shady in that context. If Arin had responded to that post with "yes our internal data shows roughly the same information and yes an upgraded stock airbox performs roughly the same to our offerings" then there would be no debate. Spend $$$ for shiny carbon if you want it.

Never understood the concept of engine bay jewelry personally... The hood is closed unless you are showing off to some random dudes.

On the topic of history with APR, APR very often stretches the truth or provides a very lackluster product compared to the marketing - Including if you want to go read some internet history on vortex and here: Stage 3 7163EFR turbo debacle (BIG one here), The original APR intake for MQB launch, APR roll control springs, Stage 1/2 tune problems with too much boost and compressor surge, and probably others that I have forgotten...

TL;DR - Some products really miss the mark, some live up to the hype. APR will never tell you which ones are which.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
a fully built drag car?? yea. It should do that. Plenty of stock engine cars have dipped into the 10s. I would hope a fully built engine, clutch packs , ERF turbo, fueling, drag wheels and everything mod possible on the platform with skinnies would run that time.

Not really sure what you are targeting. My post was in no way aimed to discredit anyone. Just sales facts.

Seriously? This is your reasoning?

Right, because no one else is building engines on this platform in search of big numbers. Tyler daily drives his car by the way.

What you're saying though, if I understand you correctly, is that it all depends on your budget/what you're willing to spend. Gee, I feel like someone said that in this thread...