GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot A/S 4 - disappoint, suggestions?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Thank you all for your input! I'll give a try and lowering the air pressure. I did call Michelin and they said to run the VW spec of 39 psi, but its easy to lower it and see what happens. I don't plan to do any mods to the car - I actually love it jus the way it is.

I am surprised at my disappointment, as I did a lot of research, including Tirerack and several other reviews. The A/S 4 seemed to be spot on for what I was seeking.

If I were to move to a stiffer sidewall tire, (if that is the issue), any recommendations?
Pilot sport 4s. Extreme contact sport. But these are summer tires

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If u registered your purchase. U can call Michelin and they’ll cut u a nice discount on the next set since u didn’t get the rated mileage out of them.
Discount Tires just keeps prorating them. The only thing I don't like is I have to run them down to 3/32 if tread left before they prorate them.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I really dislike their A/S series tires. They feel too heavy and are noisy on many surfaces. The A/S 3 Plus felt extremely uncomfortable on crappy roads however they did protect the wheels well from potholes. The grip is amazing though if that is your main concern.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Thank you all for your input! I'll give a try and lowering the air pressure. I did call Michelin and they said to run the VW spec of 39 psi, but its easy to lower it and see what happens. I don't plan to do any mods to the car - I actually love it jus the way it is.

I am surprised at my disappointment, as I did a lot of research, including Tirerack and several other reviews. The A/S 4 seemed to be spot on for what I was seeking.

If I were to move to a stiffer sidewall tire, (if that is the issue), any recommendations?
Potenza RE71r

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Potenza RE71r
I often use my RE71R's for the drive to and from local autocross events. They are loud and harsh at surface street speeds. I'd be surprised if you could get 5000 street miles on them. Not an all-season tire- an ultra-high performance summer tire.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I really dislike their A/S series tires. They feel too heavy and are noisy on many surfaces. The A/S 3 Plus felt extremely uncomfortable on crappy roads however they did protect the wheels well from potholes. The grip is amazing though if that is your main concern.
The 4's are a very noticeable amount smoother. The AS3 and AS3+ were both pretty rough tires. As noted though, the 4's being more compliant does result in a softer sidewall and a little vaguer steering feel. But overall dry grip is much improved over either 3 and ride is much, much better. The 4's have been an excellent tire for me.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I will be adding my thoughts & experiences shortly on the AS4's- just waiting for my Apex wheels to finally be delivered before I pull the trigger on the tires. Note that I am going with a non-OEM wheel diameter/tire size (17"/235/45-17), which by itself should offer more compliance and probably impact turn-in feel a bit. Tire pressures and a tweak to the front alignment should be able to cure that if it's an issue.
For what it's worth, I recommended the AS4's to a friend with a 500hp WS6 Firebird. He loves them. I briefly drove his car a couple of days ago, and didn't notice any compliance issues. They stick well!

amsr

Ready to race!
Just replaced my AS3+ with the AS4. Running 37 psi which is the stock pressure for my 17 GTI SE. Initial impression is that I liked the feel of the AS3+ better. The AS4 feels a lot more vague and bouncy. The AS3+ was more planted and had better steering response. I guess I’ll drive them for a while to see if I get used to it. You can’t get the AS3+ anymore so idk what else to get for a more AS3+ feel.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Just replaced my AS3+ with the AS4. Running 37 psi which is the stock pressure for my 17 GTI SE. Initial impression is that I liked the feel of the AS3+ better. The AS4 feels a lot more vague and bouncy. The AS3+ was more planted and had better steering response. I guess I’ll drive them for a while to see if I get used to it. You can’t get the AS3+ anymore so idk what else to get for a more AS3+ feel.
Interesting. Give them 500 miles or so. I find Michelins to be really squirrelly for the first few hundred miles. But I do like the AS4 a lot more than the AS3+.

amsr

Ready to race!
Yeah will do. I only have about 150 miles on them at the moment. The grip seems to not be as good as the AS3+ I took off also. They are breaking loose in minimal wet pavement when I punch it. Maybe that will improve as they wear in.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Drop your tire pressure down to 35 psi and then give it a whirl.