GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot A/S 4 - disappoint, suggestions?

Joe K

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Manual
Just put on a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 4 onto my 2019 GTI SE Manual, hoping to improve on the poor performance from the stock Pirelli Cinturato p7 all seasons. While the Michelin grip is much improved, in both dry and wet, and the Michelin's are nice general use tires, the turn-in is poor, and at actually squishy. I'm running the spec 39 psi on all four tires, and far as I know the alignment is spot on. I found the Pirelli touring tires to have much better road feel and turn-in, but they were terrible at the limits. The Michelin turn-in is so poor that I am hesitant with any type of slalom, (quick back and forths), as they lose a lot of feel and the car gets a bit unstable. Love these tires, except for that huge issue...enough so, I might try to turn them in.

Any suggestions, including alternate tires?

Although I am in Florida, I got all-seasons because I go up into the mountains, where it can go below freezing. And, I may relocate up north.

Thank you,
Joe

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
I have the same feelings about that tire. I run it on my Mazda 6 and while the grip is fantastic, the turn in is lacking and completely agree with how squishy they feel.

I haven't messed with increasing tire pressure yet since it's the family hauler, but maybe it will help?

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Suggestions for what?

If you just want better turn in, you can change suspension pieces, you can change your alignment, you can change your tires, etc. Some of those help more than others. Depends on what you want. Of note, the TireRack's actual testing articles are actually quite good, where you can read actual analysis of various specific models of tires against one another.

As an example, here's testing for ultra high performance all seasons: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=253

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Haven't ran the A/S4's, but did do the A/S3's for a bit before swapping them onto my wife's mk7.

In my opinion, they felt very heavy which may contribute to what you've felt with the 4's.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Drove a few cars with as3’s as3+’s and as4’s

I prefer the 4 if I can be honest. The sidewall is a hair softer, so steering isn’t the greatest. But considering how capable they are in rain and cold. I dig them.

the dws06’s were just reformulated. I wonder if they stiffened the sidewall any

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just put on a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 4 onto my 2019 GTI SE Manual, hoping to improve on the poor performance from the stock Pirelli Cinturato p7 all seasons. While the Michelin grip is much improved, in both dry and wet, and the Michelin's are nice general use tires, the turn-in is poor, and at actually squishy. I'm running the spec 39 psi on all four tires, and far as I know the alignment is spot on. I found the Pirelli touring tires to have much better road feel and turn-in, but they were terrible at the limits. The Michelin turn-in is so poor that I am hesitant with any type of slalom, (quick back and forths), as they lose a lot of feel and the car gets a bit unstable. Love these tires, except for that huge issue...enough so, I might try to turn them in.

Any suggestions, including alternate tires?

Although I am in Florida, I got all-seasons because I go up into the mountains, where it can go below freezing. And, I may relocate up north.

Thank you,
Joe
Are you carrying more speed in the turn in because of the increased grip? 39 PSI is a little high for cold tire pressure.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Drove a few cars with as3’s as3+’s and as4’s

I prefer the 4 if I can be honest. The sidewall is a hair softer, so steering isn’t the greatest. But considering how capable they are in rain and cold. I dig them.

the dws06’s were just reformulated. I wonder if they stiffened the sidewall any
I've had all 3 of those Michelin tires and like them a lot. My only complaint is that they are rated for 45,000 miles and I only get 25,000 out of them. I don't know why.
😜

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
I daily drive my GTI with the AS-4's and love them. As someone else stated, if you don't like the compliance of the sidewall then I would either make some suspension changes or do as you suggest and trade them in for something with a stiffer sidewall. Personally, with the suspension mods I have the tires are a perfect match. I went from the stock Pirelli's which I hated to the A/S 3+ which I liked a lot to the AS 4's I have now and think they are the pinnacle of "no-season" tires. I track my car with these tires and they give up very little to a dedicated summer rubber compound.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
If the PSAS4 have a higher load rating than the tires you are replacing you probably need to drop the PSI to get the correct contact patch shape. If you are over inflated it is going to reduce sidewall contact/pressure on the road due to high spot in the middle of the tire.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
If the PSAS4 have a higher load rating than the tires you are replacing you probably need to drop the PSI to get the correct contact patch shape. If you are over inflated it is going to reduce sidewall contact/pressure on the road due to high spot in the middle of the tire.
This is what I did with the pilot sport 4s’s on my GTI. I’m no stranger to the tire. I’ve had many sets. But on the GTI it felt off when I ran them at 39psi. So I went down to 32psi and they felt better but still a bit off. Currently at 35psi. Feels way better now. Perfect even

Joe K

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Manual
Thank you all for your input! I'll give a try and lowering the air pressure. I did call Michelin and they said to run the VW spec of 39 psi, but its easy to lower it and see what happens. I don't plan to do any mods to the car - I actually love it jus the way it is.

I am surprised at my disappointment, as I did a lot of research, including Tirerack and several other reviews. The A/S 4 seemed to be spot on for what I was seeking.

If I were to move to a stiffer sidewall tire, (if that is the issue), any recommendations?