GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing and trims look OK? [logs]

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Some better logs with better data resolution from last night. Added a/f ratio.
Note: These logs did not include any knock sensor readings. Something about adding knock sensors to the log recording absolutely murders the data rate. Looking at the CSV, it appears the sensor data doesn't come on congruently, but rather one after the other, so it basically cuts the data rate by 4x. I even manually input the PIDs for the knock retard outputs, and still it killed the data rate. However, since I haven't been recording any knock in any of the prior runs, I don't think knock is an issue anyways. But it would be nice to figure out how to make knock sensor recording work.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Some better logs with better data resolution from last night. Added a/f ratio.
Note: These logs did not include any knock sensor readings. Something about adding knock sensors to the log recording absolutely murders the data rate. Looking at the CSV, it appears the sensor data doesn't come on congruently, but rather one after the other, so it basically cuts the data rate by 4x. I even manually input the PIDs for the knock retard outputs, and still it killed the data rate. However, since I haven't been recording any knock in any of the prior runs, I don't think knock is an issue anyways. But it would be nice to figure out how to make knock sensor recording work.
It could be when the timing pulls it's because when the torque jumps the timing backs off briefly to prevent knock. As you can see the timing starts advancing then. Looks fine to me.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
It could be when the timing pulls it's because when the torque jumps the timing backs off briefly to prevent knock. As you can see the timing starts advancing then. Looks fine to me.
Oh so the stock tune sort of pre-emptively pulls it back based on various sensor readings? FWIW, neither of these runs felt stronger or weaker than the other, so however the ECU handled it was fine with me as the "end user."

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Oh so the stock tune sort of pre-emptively pulls it back based on various sensor readings? FWIW, neither of these runs felt stronger or weaker than the other, so however the ECU handled it was fine with me as the "end user."
Yes when you got on it the knock sensors sensed knock and backed off on the timing until it was appropriate to advance the timing again and you can see from your log it does exactly that.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Yes when you got on it the knock sensors sensed knock and backed off on the timing until it was appropriate to advance the timing again and you can see from your log it does exactly that.
I’ve never seen any knock retard when I’m logging though, even other times timing has dipped to -5 or lower. That’s why I’m a little confused. What else would tell the ECU to pull some timing?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’ve never seen any knock retard when I’m logging though, even other times timing has dipped to -5 or lower. That’s why I’m a little confused. What else would tell the ECU to pull some timing?
Knock sensors

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Jim right now:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Don't knock sensors produce a KR value (say, -3*) when that happens? Or am I misunderstanding some of the vernacular here
Knock retard is just retarding the spark until the knock sensor no longer detects knock.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Right, so if I’m not seeing any KR, then can’t we conclude timing isn’t being pulled due to knock?
Yes. Could be pulled as boost by the builds just as a programming safety factor. Timing will generally reduce as boost builds and near redline.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Yes. Could be pulled as boost by the builds just as a programming safety factor. Timing will generally reduce as boost builds and near redline.
Makes sense, since the ECU is targeting a torque level. In fact, if you compare the two logs above, you’ll see the one with the timing pull actually had a very sharp onset of boost and fuel rate so perhaps the ECU was just keeping things in check. Interesting.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Makes sense, since the ECU is targeting a torque level. In fact, if you compare the two logs above, you’ll see the one with the timing pull actually had a very sharp onset of boost and fuel rate so perhaps the ECU was just keeping things in check. Interesting.
In other words your car is doing exactly what it should be doing. Are you going to get the APR tune now?