GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Open source tuning solution

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Machina AO ($65). They are having issues due to chip shortage.
A device that runs Android (Fire Tab 8 HD is $50 often)
Everything else is free.

Also, lots of help and lots of time figuring things out.
I've got time, and the ability to log 3rd. Being a FWD with 09G Trans limits my tune options, which is why I went down the stack route. So far it looks like Reflect is my only real option, all other OTS tunes either run 93 which I can't access, or don't recommend the 09G for turbo swaps. So if this is the solution that fits best I'd be willing to put in the time, and the ability to tweak it to my liking is something I'd greatly enjoy.

Currently looking at an IS20 swap (but I believe this supports up IS38 on 1.8T?), though i'm hitting a wall on my stack of 91 IS12 flash+jb4 around 20 PSI peak and 18PSI at 3>4 Shift at WOT. Testing E now, E21 mix was just fine, but i'm not sure how hard that would be on 1.8T stock fueling to run constantly. Running E15 now and i'm seeing corrections off and on when I log. Some are great, others feel off during the pull with post shift corrections. Not sure if I'd have the same issue once the IS20 is on, attempting to get this file set up as a mild base for the swap on the IS12 currently.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
8V0906264K is the box code for FWD 1.8 and 8V0906264M for the latest AWD ones. Very similar tunes, the 264K does have slightly lower torque request in the lower end for the auto trans power class. But that 264K box code is a very common definition file where we have a lot of work already done for.

With the a0/esp32 shortages, you can also use a Tactrix Openport, but the logging options aren't quite as nice and require a laptop in the car, etc.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Thank you both for the info. Do you have a recommended source for the hardware? I don't mind waiting on restock, gives me time to knock out a few more hardware installs.

Edit: Nevermind found Lumberjacks list from earlier in the thread. looks like Tactrix is the only one in stock.

Last edited:

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
if you're into building your own: https://github.com/Switchleg1/AMAleg

Otherwise yeah, tactrix is sadly the other option for something you can just buy now ready to go. We sorta went all-in with the A0, then they all sold out, so it's kind of a crappy situation. I don't mind the PC/openport flashing at all, but mobile/wireless logging is huge.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
if you're into building your own: https://github.com/Switchleg1/AMAleg

Otherwise yeah, tactrix is sadly the other option for something you can just buy now ready to go. We sorta went all-in with the A0, then they all sold out, so it's kind of a crappy situation. I don't mind the PC/openport flashing at all, but mobile/wireless logging is huge.
Yeah, I'll wait until a P1 or A0 comes up, or is it just the A0? One of the biggest things I love over the JB4 vs my IE Flashing tool I don't have to play fast and the furious with a laptop in the passenger seat, I just hit a button on my phone. The Gauges are a nice bonus.

If I still had my soldiering iron and such building might be in the cards. Seems like I'd spend more in tools to have it now.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
a0 is what you want. The P1 is a small linux computer-- I used to have one. You can actually run VW_Flash on that, but it would be all command line interface. You could flash that way by ssh-ing into the p1 with your phone and CLI. Probably not what you had in mind though lol.

The a0 is a pretty simple esp32 controller based device, which is why @Switchleg ended up building a few of his own. Then flash his custom firmware and you're all set for wireless flashing and logging for these cars.

I poke around the internet from time to time to look for an easy alternative, but have not found anything yet.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
a0 is what you want. The P1 is a small linux computer-- I used to have one. You can actually run VW_Flash on that, but it would be all command line interface. You could flash that way by ssh-ing into the p1 with your phone and CLI. Probably not what you had in mind though lol.

The a0 is a pretty simple esp32 controller based device, which is why @Switchleg ended up building a few of his own. Then flash his custom firmware and you're all set for wireless flashing and logging for these cars.

I poke around the internet from time to time to look for an easy alternative, but have not found anything yet.
Thanks again for the info. I'll keep the build post as a favorite just in case it takes longer than expected. Otherwise I'll be searching for an A0 in my spare time.

bjo

Car(s)
'19 GTI PP
Hey all, I found this thread while searching for that really annoying rev hang issue on my '19 GTI PP (EU). I'm pretty new to this whole ECU flashing topic, but I'd like to share my experiences so far and I also have some questions:

The Macchina A0 hasn't been obtainable since I'm looking for it and the OpenPort is pretty expensive. So, I built the aforementioned AMAleg DIY clone with an ESP32 lying around from a pretty similar project (motorcycle gear indicator/data monitor based on k-line/Bluetooth/Android app, it's on GitHub as well if someone is interested). Then I flashed the isotp-ble-bridge firmware and it just worked like a charm with both Simos Tools and VW_Flash.

Now I'm at the point where I need the flash files. AFAIK I need FL_5G0906259Q__0005.frf (SCG bootloader -> Simos 18.10) and FL_5G0906259S__0003.frf (Spare part no: 5G0906259S, Version: 0003). I also found information about FL_5G0906259T__0003.frf, which seems to be a newer version, but I want to avoid any interoperability problems and be able to go back to the original state any time. Additionally, I believe I also need a definition file for it.
I found shops selling single frf files, others selling whole odis firmware packages and some people say that there were/are downloads directly from VW/erWin, but not anymore. What's the best way to get these files? Which of them are trustworthy?

Next step would be to fire up Tuner Pro.
For those interested

Rev hang is fixed/eliminated.
I would appreciate it very much if you could you give some hints regarding this (besides being a single table/5-minute fix).

Big thanks to all people involved here, driving this awesome open-source project forward. (y)

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Hey all, I found this thread while searching for that really annoying rev hang issue on my '19 GTI PP (EU). I'm pretty new to this whole ECU flashing topic, but I'd like to share my experiences so far and I also have some questions:

The Macchina A0 hasn't been obtainable since I'm looking for it and the OpenPort is pretty expensive. So, I built the aforementioned AMAleg DIY clone with an ESP32 lying around from a pretty similar project (motorcycle gear indicator/data monitor based on k-line/Bluetooth/Android app, it's on GitHub as well if someone is interested). Then I flashed the isotp-ble-bridge firmware and it just worked like a charm with both Simos Tools and VW_Flash.

Now I'm at the point where I need the flash files. AFAIK I need FL_5G0906259Q__0005.frf (SCG bootloader -> Simos 18.10) and FL_5G0906259S__0003.frf (Spare part no: 5G0906259S, Version: 0003). I also found information about FL_5G0906259T__0003.frf, which seems to be a newer version, but I want to avoid any interoperability problems and be able to go back to the original state any time. Additionally, I believe I also need a definition file for it.
I found shops selling single frf files, others selling whole odis firmware packages and some people say that there were/are downloads directly from VW/erWin, but not anymore. What's the best way to get these files? Which of them are trustworthy?

I would appreciate it very much if you could you give some hints regarding this (besides being a single table/5-minute fix).

Big thanks to all people involved here, driving this awesome open-source project forward. (y)
I believe rev hang is a emissions related thing so I don't encourage you messing with it.

But if you wanted to look, for science...
ip_t_min_pu_cs[0]
ip_t_min_pu_cs[1]

bjo

Car(s)
'19 GTI PP
I believe rev hang is a emissions related thing so I don't encourage you messing with it.

But if you wanted to look, for science...
ip_t_min_pu_cs[0]
ip_t_min_pu_cs[1]
Alright, thank you. For science ... I thought it would be nice to have look at this in different stock software versions. Some people say they don't have this issue at all, others claim to have it but it doesn't bother them too much and still others are really annoyed.

Switchleg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7

Glad to see someone make use of the amaleg/SL1/ST. It seems most of the can transceivers in that style breakout board are being faked on Amazon at the moment due to chip shortages and looking for a new easy solution.

Reactions: bjo

bjo

Car(s)
'19 GTI PP
Glad to see someone make use of the amaleg/SL1/ST. It seems most of the can transceivers in that style breakout board are being faked on Amazon at the moment due to chip shortages and looking for a new easy solution.
I bought it from ebay for about 4.50 USD and checked the marking, as stated by your instructions. However, my version is built on a perfboard with female socket headers for the ESP32 to be able to remove it (proved to be a good idea in my previous project :p). DC-DC and transceiver are sitting in between the socket headers, similar to your version. I had to remove the spacer and cut the ESP pin header by 1 mm, but then it just fits into a (cleared-out) standard trapezoidal OBD connector housing.

paan

Car(s)
audi q3 culc

Hello!

I try to built an AMAleg, but it doesn't work with my car.

SimosTool log contain

2022-04-15 14:46:41.068 [D] BTService: LOGGING - Running task.<br>2022-04-15 14:46:41.068 [D] UDS: Task: Workshop Code - Adding timeout [2].<br>2022-04-15 14:46:41.068 [D] BTService: LOGGING - Task idle.<br>2022-04-15 14:46:41.304 [D] MainActivity: Requesting status.<br>2022-04-15 14:46:41.307 [D] MainActivity: Set status: Simos Tools - Polling<br>2022-04-15 14:46:41.319 [D] BTService: bumping task: LOGGING<br>2022-04-15 14:46:41.319 [D] BTService: LOGGING - Running task.<br>2022-04-15 14:46:41.319 [D] UDS: Task: Workshop Code - Adding timeout [3].<br>2022-04-15 14:46:41.319 [D] BTService: LOGGING - Task idle.<br>2022-04-15 14:46:41.570 [D] BTService: bumping task: LOGGING<br>2022-04-15 14:46:41.570 [D] BTService: LOGGING - Running task.<br>2022-04-15 14:46:41.570 [D] UDS: Task: Workshop Code - Adding timeout [4].<br>2022-04-15 14:46:41.570 [D] BTService: LOGGING - Task idle.<br>2022-04-15 14:46:41.821 [D] BTService: bumping task: LOGGING<br>2022-04-15 14:46:41.821 [D] BTService: LOGGING - Running task.<br>2022-04-15 14:46:41.821 [D] UDS: Task: Workshop Code - Adding timeout [5].<br>
As far as I understand there is no data from CAN.

How to identify a fake chip?

Attachments

• Снимок.PNG
    Снимок.PNG
    519.6 KB · Views: 101