GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... California Nears $8 Gallon Gas - Biden Sends Zelenskyyy $61 Billion

npace

Autocross Champion
We may agree here. I also do not support taxation of unrealized gains. I think the German system has good overall way to help prop up long term businesses. Some German businesses are hundreds of years old. America needs to focus on off shore accounts, people who cheat on their taxes (enhanced IRS enforcement), and better/fairer taxation of wealthier people who are paid via stock options. You probably do not agree with me on IRS enforcement, but a strong IRS makes tax collecting more fair. Most of us do not make enough to hide any significant amount of money, anyway.
You can eliminate a lot of it by adopting European methods of taxation, like the VAT. You get taxed on consumption, rather than earnings. That, or a simplified tax code, like a flat tax, ensures everyone pays their share while eliminating the need for a bloated bureaucratic agency.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
It doesn't matter. The fact that something someone owns is "worth" more than 100 million dollars doesn't mean that they are actually making that money, unless they sell their property. Federal income taxes were started "only for a short period, to pay for the civil war." It stalled a few times until Congress passed the 16th Amendment, granting themselves the "right" to tax income. Look where we are now. If you're concerned about tax shelters, it makes a lot more sense to go after overseas consolidated trusts. But that's where politicians also "hide" their money, so good luck. Instead we are going after unrealized gains "only for the super-rich". The subtext is they'll come after everyone else's in the next 10 years as they slowly reduce and eventually eliminate the earnings threshold.
Funny how “temporary” government solutions end up sticking around huh?

VoodooDoll

Ready to race!
You can eliminate a lot of it by adopting European methods of taxation, like the VAT. You get taxed on consumption, rather than earnings. That, or a simplified tax code, like a flat tax, ensures everyone pays their share while eliminating the need for a bloated bureaucratic agency.
Flat taxes are inherently unfair as they have been shown to effect lower wage workers more significantly than people with substantial wealth. A conservative idea is to eliminate income tax in favor of a flat tax (that's not how they do it in Europe - they often have both). Should Jeff Bezos pay the same Flat Tax Rate on a lb of broccoli (Scalia's favorite veggie) as somebody making $10 an hr at Walmart? I say no. In addition, consumption taxes might have negative effect on the economy. If there is a 20% consumption tax on appliances, are you going to be as likely to get a new washer or dryer unless you absolutely have to if you have to pay 10% state sales tax + a 20% Flat/VAT consumption tax? It would negatively effect demand. Conservatives tend to leave this part out of their Flat Tax argument.

I do support curtailing many fed tax code deductions, though. The tax code needs to be progressive in order to be fair. If you make over a million dollars a year, you should clearly be paying a higher tax rate than somebody making $50K or less per year.

Can you name a foreign economy where a Flat Tax was used successfully, without an income tax?

Reactions: WAP

VoodooDoll

Ready to race!
Because case law and precedent don't give the CDC the authority to force people to wear protective equipment on private property.

Since you didn't read it, here it is:
That law allows the CDC "to make and enforce such regulations" deemed "necessary to prevent the introduction, transmission, or spread of communicable diseases from foreign countries into the States[.]" To achieve this, the law says that CDC can utilize "inspection, fumigation disinfection sanitation, pest extermination, destruction of animals or articles found to be so infect or contaminated as to be sources of dangerous infection to human beings, and other measures[.]" The administration, the judge noted, has claimed that the mask mandate falls under "sanitation."

Since Congress and the CDC balked at efforts to prevent people with a travel history to China in early 2020 from coming to the US, the cat was out of the bag. Masks on domestic flights aren't stopping COVID from getting here. The masks don't sanitize anything. Therefore, there is no authority for the mandate.
Masks reduce and prevent infectious disease transmission. The sanitation explanation sounds to me like the judge is a conservative that allows politics to guide legal opinions. As such, the judge knew what outcome she wanted in advance, and found a twisted way to justify it. In your own quotes it specifically mentions "transmission." High quality N95 masks, that now include KN95 and KF94 masks, are extremely effective at reducing transmission (when worn properly) of highly transmissible diseases such as COVID.

The judge is wrong. Decision will easily be overturned upon appeal. I guarantee it. I will write that Trump was a great President if I'm wrong about this being overturned on appeal. That's how confident I am that this judge is outside the bell curve.

Reactions: WAP

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Masks reduce and prevent infectious disease transmission. The sanitation explanation sounds to me like the judge is a conservative that allows politics to guide legal opinions. As such, the judge knew what outcome she wanted in advance, and found a twisted way to justify it. In your own quotes it specifically mentions "transmission." High quality N95 masks, that now include KN95 and KF94 masks, are extremely effective at reducing transmission (when worn properly) of highly transmissible diseases such as COVID.

The judge is wrong. Decision will easily be overturned upon appeal. I guarantee it. I will write that Trump was a great President if I'm wrong about this being overturned on appeal. That's how confident I am that this judge is outside the bell curve.
This entire diatribe is an opinion.

npace

Autocross Champion
Flat taxes are inherently unfair as they have been shown to effect lower wage workers more significantly than people with substantial wealth. A conservative idea is to eliminate income tax in favor of a flat tax (that's not how they do it in Europe - they often have both). Should Jeff Bezos pay the same Flat Tax Rate on a lb of broccoli (Scalia's favorite veggie) as somebody making $10 an hr at Walmart? I say no. In addition, consumption taxes might have negative effect on the economy. If there is a 20% consumption tax on appliances, are you going to be as likely to get a new washer or dryer unless you absolutely have to if you have to pay 10% state sales tax + a 20% Flat/VAT consumption tax? It would negatively effect demand. Conservatives tend to leave this part out of their Flat Tax argument.

I do support curtailing many fed tax code deductions, though. The tax code needs to be progressive in order to be fair. If you make over a million dollars a year, you should clearly be paying a higher tax rate than somebody making $50K or less per year.

Can you name a foreign economy where a Flat Tax was used successfully, without an income tax?
You wouldn't combine it with a state sales tax. Jeff Bezos already pays the same sales tax for the same item that a poor person buys, so that's a bad analogy. With a VAT, rich people pay more because they consume more. You can't tell me that a person who makes $50k a year is spending as much money as a person who makes $10m a year. I mean, sure, it's possible, but then what's the point of wealth? The fairness isn't inherent in how the taxes are distributed.... that's why its a consumption tax. Consume more, get taxed more. And the argument about an impact on the economy... again, there's a lot of built in assumptions there. There are tons of countries with flat tax rates. You're going to have to define what you mean by "successfully" however, because that's subjective in what we're talking about. Does it mean that the country pays its debts, has a balanced budget, or what? (the US does neither)

npace

Autocross Champion

Transmission from a foreign country. Domestic flights. You get nothing, you lose.

VoodooDoll

Ready to race!
This entire diatribe is an opinion.
N95's reducing respiratory disease transmission is an opinion???? I mean, you know that there is an absolute ton of scientific evidence to back this up. Whether a person cares about being infected by COVID is one matter of opinion, but there is absolutely zero doubt that N95 masks are effective at reducing respiratory virus spread.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Paragraph 5:

This is a congressional research report, and someone's interpretation. It isn't law, and it doesn't grant the CDC any authority. It's designed to sway congressional opinion for voting purposes.
That's what I was saying. Laws are passed by Congress. The executive can pass orders but not the CDC. HHS' delegation is not law.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
We may agree here. I also do not support taxation of unrealized gains. I think the German system has good overall way to help prop up long term businesses. Some German businesses are hundreds of years old. America needs to focus on off shore accounts, people who cheat on their taxes (enhanced IRS enforcement), and better/fairer taxation of wealthier people who are paid via stock options. You probably do not agree with me on IRS enforcement, but a strong IRS makes tax collecting more fair. Most of us do not make enough to hide any significant amount of money, anyway.
If the IRS was fair and impartial, and made decisions based primarily on the numbers, I may have some tolerance for that. But the IRS is anything but fair and impartial. The IRS has been weaponized for political purposes. So has the FBI, NSA, EPA, ad infinitum. There are countless instances of the IRS conducting extensive investigations against political opponents of the ruling party. You know this.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
N95's reducing respiratory disease transmission is an opinion???? I mean, you know that there is an absolute ton of scientific evidence to back this up. Whether a person cares about being infected by COVID is one matter of opinion, but there is absolutely zero doubt that N95 masks are effective at reducing respiratory virus spread.
There’s also a ton of evidence to show they make little to no difference. Even little Fauci agrees.

How many people who wear masks are medically fitted for them as a nurse is, prior to their shift and wearing little more than a cloth catchrag on their face. I don’t wear masks or take experimental shots. Still haven’t had covid as I watch people committed to the latter getting it every other week. And I go to the gym, which is a petri dish. If you want to wear a mask and take boosters every season for the rest of your life then by all means do. If you really believe there’s an apocalyptic pandemic, then you shouldn’t be vacationing and clubbing like most maskaholics still do. You can always use curbside and delivery instead of going around scowling at everyone under your stupid blue sheep muzzle.

This isn’t a totalitarian hellscape and gaslighting individuals to believe that the public is responsible for others’ health is medical Lysenkoism by the book, komrade.

VoodooDoll

Ready to race!
That's what I was saying. Laws are passed by Congress. The executive can pass orders but not the CDC. HHS' delegation is not law.
The report is explaining how the CDC receives its power - it's derived by a grant from the HHS. I did not purport it as representing anything else. The claim was made that the CDC has no authority. That is wrong. The CDC has authority granted to it by the HHS. Of course, all of these groups are headed by cabinet members selected by the POTUS. So, saying the CDC has no authority is like saying a police officer has no authority.