GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So, here’s what that video was about:

A3 Quattro customers hit the track, used launch control, and the 60ft was abysmal. The Golf R and S3, on the flip side, are awesome. Something was off. They hit me up and asked if I could look into it, so I contacted engineering and they came up with a solution that day.

The solution was what the video was about. But, I only had the GTI (FWD) available to show it off. Its full power in every gear, and on the launch, it now builds boost to help the the car cut awesome 60 ft times.

So, the feature is intended for AWD cars, and maybe FWD with slicks. There is no question some of you nut jobs will want it too so you can lay smokey burnouts in residential zones, or at H2oi.

H2oi was fun back in the day.

My wife still complains about it haha “it’s like a VW cult spring break”

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Has any R owner, preferably with the HPFP & LPFP on 93 octane, achieved any 1/4 mile results as of yet?

Happy Father's Day to you all.

audia3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Audi A3 2.0T
So, here’s what that video was about:

A3 Quattro customers hit the track, used launch control, and the 60ft was abysmal. The Golf R and S3, on the flip side, are awesome. Something was off. They hit me up and asked if I could look into it, so I contacted engineering and they came up with a solution that day.

The solution was what the video was about. But, I only had the GTI (FWD) available to show it off. Its full power in every gear, and on the launch, it now builds boost to help the the car cut awesome 60 ft times.

So, the feature is intended for AWD cars, and maybe FWD with slicks. There is no question some of you nut jobs will want it too so you can lay smokey burnouts in residential zones, or at H2oi.
Thank you @Arin@APR for listening to us! Any idea when this will be available?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Has any R owner, preferably with the HPFP & LPFP on 93 octane, achieved any 1/4 mile results as of yet?

Happy Father's Day to you all.
No, but from the looks of it you can expect similar to stage1/stage 2 numbers. Maybe a higher trap speed

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
No, but from the looks of it you can expect similar to stage1/stage 2 numbers. Maybe a higher trap speed
I see. How do you like your DTR thus far? Have you installed an intercooler as of yet? I have Stage 1 already with a do88 IC waiting for installation.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Goddamn it Rice, just get a Dragy and go find a strip of empty road.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Screw that. Those things are expensive

As far as car related items, they're cheap as hell. Like a a buck fiddy? And have great resale value.

Shit, if my wife gets a job soon and I can resume wasting money on unnecessary shit, I'll buy another one and let him borrow it.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I see. How do you like your DTR thus far? Have you installed an intercooler as of yet? I have Stage 1 already with a do88 IC waiting for installation.
Overall i dig it, the driving dynamics are great, feels great at the top end. Will say in a half mile race or roll i dont think a stage2 would hang. But a custom tune is38 gti just may.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
As far as car related items, they're cheap as hell. Like a a buck fiddy? And have great resale value.

Shit, if my wife gets a job soon and I can resume wasting money on unnecessary shit, I'll buy another one and let him borrow it.
Just let me borrow yours!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Just let me borrow yours!

I don't have one! I sold it when I sold my Vortex. That's what I'm saying, when I can spend money again I'll buy one and let you borrow it lol.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Thank you @Arin@APR for listening to us! Any idea when this will be available?
I'm sure they will clean up the files today and let me know. I intend to get in both of your hands to test out before we make it for all the files.

AeroRick08

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R - Manual
Goddamn it Rice, just get a Dragy and go find a strip of empty road.

I'm on a month or so now with the DTR.

Busy month and still need to dig up my MX+ to log (thanks OBD11 for not supporting iOS logs :rolleyes: ) and do a dyno pull, but the dragy 60-130 was SLOWER in the DTR. Identical conditions other than a few degrees warmer out, but I would have expected a second quicker. That's where this kit is supposed to shine. 0-60 slightly slower as expected, manual gearbox.

Torque limited at legal speeds/revs, always feels like it needs to be a gear or two lower to confidently accelerate, and torture waiting for it to spool up, relative to the IS38. Chalk it up to driving style I'm relearning. Definitely a smoother driving experience than APR Stage 1, but I enjoyed the punch before.

It sounds like I'm nailing this kit to a cross but the smooth spooling feel and whistle with open intake does make it enjoyable, as well as knowing it'll keep asking for more when you're accelerating at highway speeds. So unless my logs reveal some performance enhancing issues I can smooth out, I would not recommend it over Stage 1 for the Golf R... stick with IS38 if it's working perfectly fine. As others have said here, it's more of a lateral or preferential move in our case, not really S1 to S3.

It's really nice having a turbo that still pulls confidently above 75mph, but I spend 90% of my fun below that.

ChristopherNeil

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Soooo I'm getting the 1.3 update to correct any potential issues, which APR mentioned would be zero cost to the consumer and APR would reimburse any dealer labor flash fees. (I don't know which post it was @Arin@APR)

Currently, that's seemingly NOT the case, as my installer got off the phone with APR and they said something to the effect of "the flash/update is free but APR says you're on the hook for labor."

Not thrilled to have to pay to fix a corporate error.

Edit. Post #3,154 on page 211.