GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

ChristopherNeil

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Ok, whichever line the dealer called told them on two occasions that customer is on the hook. When I called, the customer service rep told me that dealers would be reimbursed through APR and that there's no charge for me. My installer spoke with that same rep to confirm and they sent me on my way with no charge, and he'll update me next week when I bring in my fiance's car.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Ok, so just to confirm, you were not charged, correct?

No, he was charged...

dr-evil-one-billion-dollars.gif

He's eagerly awaiting repayment.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Well APR got back to me saying that the tune sets all emissions to OEM so it should NOT be anything in the tune causing my car to not be emissions ready.

May have to take it to my APR dealer to have them investigate. Likely on my dime.

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
Well APR got back to me saying that the tune sets all emissions to OEM so it should NOT be anything in the tune causing my car to not be emissions ready.

May have to take it to my APR dealer to have them investigate. Likely on my dime.
After about a week and a half I still have a few monitors not set, probably 600 miles worth of mixed driving, I haven't checked in a few days so I'll have to look. I will say I had flashed back to stock about 2 months ago (before going full APR). I was tuned on the Cobb Accessport and had emmissions check coming up so I uninstalled it, and the monitors set in a couple days. So this seems to be taking longer. I will report back after I check again.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I'm on a month or so now with the DTR.

Busy month and still need to dig up my MX+ to log (thanks OBD11 for not supporting iOS logs :rolleyes: ) and do a dyno pull, but the dragy 60-130 was SLOWER in the DTR. Identical conditions other than a few degrees warmer out, but I would have expected a second quicker. That's where this kit is supposed to shine. 0-60 slightly slower as expected, manual gearbox.

Torque limited at legal speeds/revs, always feels like it needs to be a gear or two lower to confidently accelerate, and torture waiting for it to spool up, relative to the IS38. Chalk it up to driving style I'm relearning. Definitely a smoother driving experience than APR Stage 1, but I enjoyed the punch before.

It sounds like I'm nailing this kit to a cross but the smooth spooling feel and whistle with open intake does make it enjoyable, as well as knowing it'll keep asking for more when you're accelerating at highway speeds. So unless my logs reveal some performance enhancing issues I can smooth out, I would not recommend it over Stage 1 for the Golf R... stick with IS38 if it's working perfectly fine. As others have said here, it's more of a lateral or preferential move in our case, not really S1 to S3.

It's really nice having a turbo that still pulls confidently above 75mph, but I spend 90% of my fun below that.

This is what I've been saying forever here. I'm not sure how many people are typically cruising at 110mph and care to hit those speeds daily. The majority are probably not. So that leaves you to how well it performs in every day life. I'm not in an R but the Stg1 GTI with the high torque lets you get around pretty easily and obviously emission worry free. To ask to jump to a "Bigger" turbo that only really benefits in speeds above 85mph is asking myself, do I REALLY NEED THIS? Not to mention, how has your mpg been affected? With gas prices the way they are and locked in tune of 93, I'm not enjoying it but at least I can work from home 2 days a week and my drive is only 8 minutes to work. I'm not sure how other guys do it when they drive 30+ miles each way. I fill up about every 2 1/2 weeks and last it costed me 48 bucks.

Last edited:

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
This is what I've been saying forever here. I'm not sure how many people are typically cruising at 110mph and care to hit those speeds daily. The majority are probably not. So that leaves you to how well it performs in every day life. I'm not in an R but the Stg1 GTI with the high torque lets you get around pretty easily and obviously emission worry free. To ask to jump to a "Bigger" turbo that only really benefits in speeds above 85mph is asking myself, do I REALLY NEED THIS? Not to mention, how has your mpg been affected? With gas prices the way they are and locked in tune of 93, I'm not enjoying it but at least I can work from home 2 days a week and my drive is only 8 minutes to work. I'm not sure how other guys do it when they drive 30+ miles a each way. I fill up about every 2 1/2 weeks and last it costed me 48 bucks.
Having recently gone Stage 1 on my R, I like the punch it gives whilst in NYC traffic. I was initially enthusiastic about the DTR setup, but to drop $2700 for the DTR + fueling, before adding in the installation costs, and be marginally quicker than Stage 1 (as was previously mentioned by several users)? That doesn't sit well with me honestly. I'm just gonna enjoy my Stage 1 tune for a while.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Having recently gone Stage 1 on my R, I like the punch it gives whilst in NYC traffic. I was initially enthusiastic about the DTR setup, but to drop $2700 for the DTR + fueling, before adding in the installation costs, and be marginally quicker than Stage 1 (as was previously mentioned by several users)? That doesn't sit well with me honestly. I'm just gonna enjoy my Stage 1 tune for a while.

Yeah, it's funny because basically I need a clutch/intercooler for stg1 which I've yet to do and those would be the required mods to go DTR.

Though yeah, the reason I've been hesitant to do it just for Stg1 alone has been the costs. Shops are charging nearly 15% more for labor than in the past. I don't have any place I could do this on my own. Nor do I have a secondary car in case I get hung up on something. I would have to shop it for the clutch, potentially the intercooler and then the turbo upgrade. That's about 2 grand in labor right there. Then you factor in 800 bucks or so for IC, a grand for clutch kit, 1500 for turbo and man, just typing this makes me want to cut up my credit card before I do something crazy.

Then lastly, I haven't heard anybody say it's the greatest thing they ever bought. I'm not hating to the point of saying don't get this, I just am the kind that needs to find a lot of variables and value in what I spend my money on and this one hasn't given me any yet.

Last edited:

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Yeah, it's funny because basically I need a clutch/intercooler for stg1 which I've yet to do and those would be the required mods to go DTR. Though yeah, the reason I've been hesitant to do it just for Stg1 alone has been the costs. Shops are charging nearly 15% more for labor than in the past. I don't have any place I could do this on my own. Nor do I have a secondary car in case I get hung up on something. I would have to shop it for the clutch, potentially the intercooler and then the turbo upgrade. That's about 2 grand in labor right there. Then you factor in 800 bucks or so for IC, a grand for clutch kit, 1500 for turbo and man, just typing this makes me want to cut up my credit card before I do something crazy. Then lastly, I haven't heard anybody say it's the greatest thing they ever bought. I'm not hating to the point of saying don't get this, I just am the kind that needs to find a lot of variables and value in what I spend my money on and this one hasn't given me any yet.
I feel the same way. For me to spend all that money on a turbo upgrade, I'd shift my focus to a Vortex/Vortex XL. If GESI-catted downpipes are able to pass emissions, that will be the route I take later on. If not, then it is what it is. This kit shines with E85 fueling, but I don't know of any E85 stations near me, as 93 is widely common for this region.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Hey guys, been on hiatus for a bit. I almost switched gears entirely and bought a 22' RS3 at MSRP. Base car in black. Randomly found it by calling around dealerships near me before anyones claimed it yet. It's arriving in July, put a 1k deposit down, had my car appraised but wanted 1000 more to make it work for me. Instead of negotiating with me, the dealer ghosted me for 2 days and then said "sorry RS3 is sold, good luck on the next one"
1655777341792.png

Didn't even offer to order me another car. Didn't realize how cut throat the market is out there. Or someone offered $$ over sticker on it. Whatever.

Anyway, question for Arin. I opened a case with Levi to investigate my car's performance when the IAT's are around +100F a few weeks ago regarding the poor track times, do you know if there's been any progress on this? I know we spoke about the e85 MPI route for me, and I'd still like to do this, but I'd like to see if I can get the 93 tune sorted before I do that. Hopefully helping out others out there as well and getting some better time slip data.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Hey guys, been on hiatus for a bit. I almost switched gears entirely and bought a 22' RS3 at MSRP. Base car in black. Randomly found it by calling around dealerships near me before anyones claimed it yet. It's arriving in July, put a 1k deposit down, had my car appraised but wanted 1000 more to make it work for me. Instead of negotiating with me, the dealer ghosted me for 2 days and then said "sorry RS3 is sold, good luck on the next one"
View attachment 253049
Didn't even offer to order me another car. Didn't realize how cut throat the market is out there. Or someone offered $$ over sticker on it. Whatever.

Anyway, question for Arin. I opened a case with Levi to investigate my car's performance when the IAT's are around +100F a few weeks ago regarding the poor track times, do you know if there's been any progress on this? I know we spoke about the e85 MPI route for me, and I'd still like to do this, but I'd like to see if I can get the 93 tune sorted before I do that. Hopefully helping out others out there as well and getting some better time slip data.
That sucks man. I hope you're able to get an RS3. The new ones look well worth it.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
That sucks man. I hope you're able to get an RS3. The new ones look well worth it.
From what I can tell, the 22's are launch cars for the US, and they're few and far between looking around online. Dealers also like charging markup on them because they're hard to get. You can't order a 22' model year anymore and you can't even officially order a 23' yet because Audi hasn't released pricing or options. Even if I were to order one right as they release all that info, probably wouldn't have it till next year. Long story short, I'd love to have one, will just have to be patient.