GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What would you do? S2 with my IS20 or S1 with a IS38?

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
It just occurred to me going AWE catted UM Stage 2 would cost the same as an is38 UM Stage 1. Which would you do? I drive a 17 TT with the GTI powertrain/DSG and a res delete REMUS axleback.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I would go S2. Max out the IS20 and call it a day. Should be cheaper. With the IS38, you have moar potential for power, but thats another rabbit hole. Why not a bigger turbo? Then you have to upgrade the fuel, tune, retune, tune for ethanol, etc.... At that point might as well buy a different car.

*edit* also the S2 will make almost as much power but with less lag.

Last edited:

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
IS38, you'll get bored faster with the IS20.

wofol

Ready to race!
Depends on your end target. Do you eventually want to go IS38? If so, do it now so you don't waste $ on a bigger turbo later down the road + tune etc.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I think if you're upgrading to an is38 I don't see why would not just do an EQT turbo and call it a day. on the street the difference in spool time and lag is seriously almost not noticable at all, on a strong E blend I've seen dyno charts with EQT spooling just as fast as an is38 on pump gas if not faster

and the better power and reliability than oem is38 is well worth it, and then if you ever want 500whp+ you have the turbo already there.

I agree with Diggs that with all the good hybrids around now for a good price I don't see why go with is38 and have all that work for only modest increase in power.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I think if you're upgrading to an is38 I don't see why would not just do an EQT turbo and call it a day. on the street the difference in spool time and lag is seriously almost not noticable at all, on a strong E blend I've seen dyno charts with EQT spooling just as fast as an is38 on pump gas if not faster

and the better power and reliability than oem is38 is well worth it, and then if you ever want 500whp+ you have the turbo already there.

I agree with Diggs that with all the good hybrids around now for a good price I don't see why go with is38 and have all that work for only modest increase in power.

You agree with Diggs? :confused:

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
For me it would be stage 2 as I prefer power coming in sooner. I believe the hybrid have solved this so as said look there or stay stage 2 would be my preference. I am quite with happy stage 2.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie

Because the market has adjusted. Yes hybrids have dropped a lot but because of that used is38s are even more dirt cheap.

Obviously paying 1200$ for an is38 right now would be idiotic no offense. But when when u can pick one up for sub 600$ it starts to make it a tough choice to guys that don't have ALL the $ it takes to make a hybrid faster than an is38 on E.

I have proved in spades that big turbos need E to compete. Especially if they're awd cars.. but y'all know that. So really the cost of a hybrid is the turbo+ MPI + LPFP + Tires :)

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
IS38, then let me know after Billy installs it and we can meet up again ???

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Because the market has adjusted. Yes hybrids have dropped a lot but because of that used is38s are even more dirt cheap.

Obviously paying 1200$ for an is38 right now would be idiotic no offense. But when when u can pick one up for sub 600$ it starts to make it a tough choice to guys that don't have ALL the $ it takes to make a hybrid faster than an is38 on E.

I have proved in spades that big turbos need E to compete. Especially if they're awd cars.. but y'all know that. So really the cost of a hybrid is the turbo+ MPI + LPFP + Tires :)

Where the heck can you get a new IS38 for $600?