GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What would you do? S2 with my IS20 or S1 with a IS38?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I know the IS38 was revised in 2018... I think March or May of 18... maybe they got rid of the issues. Aside from the older is20, I didn’t think it’s been a bad turbo at all.

Thanks mine must be the newer revision then.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Thanks mine must be the newer revision then.
The issue with the OEM is38 was really from
them getting pushed hard with a good amount extra boost, sure there were stock ones that went out but that happens with anything... you know how the internet is everything is exaggerated "its a ticking time bomb" lol.

what kind of tune you running? boost levels, power levels?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
them getting pushed hard with a good amount extra boost, sure there were stock ones that went out but that happens with anything... you know how the internet is everything is exaggerated "its a ticking time bomb" lol.

I'm running a custom dyno tune. Currently 350 WHP and 390 WTQ. I'm getting it tuned in a week for a higher octane fuel and I'll post those numbers then. 30 lbs boost currently.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion

There do seem to be less complaints lately on the is38. Then again, imo they may not be ever as strong as the old k04s. Those things largely seemed to be tanks

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
I'm running a custom dyno tune. Currently 350 WHP and 390 WTQ. I'm getting it tuned in a week for a higher octane fuel and I'll post those numbers then. 30 lbs boost currently.

30 lbs on the oem is38?! You have balls. The newer revisions may be pretty good for the most part but I just wouldn't trust pushing the OEM turbos that hard. Been there done that w/a blown turbo and don't want to go through that again.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
30 lbs on the oem is38?! You have balls. The newer revisions may be pretty good for the most part but I just wouldn't trust pushing the OEM turbos that hard. Been there done that w/a blown turbo and don't want to go through that again.

20,000 miles on the IS38 so far and still going.

slogti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
APR Stage 1+ GTI
It just occurred to me going AWE catted UM Stage 2 would cost the same as an is38 UM Stage 1. Which would you do? I drive a 17 TT with the GTI powertrain/DSG and a res delete REMUS axleback.

Stage 2 is20 all the way that way you can put the car to fbo/supporting mods and will be ready for the turbo upgrade when needed/you get the itch.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What turbo does the CSS use?