GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

5150 Will take your money and not give you a tune.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I love how you have to use a Windows laptop that always requires system updates and always has a dead battery... :ROFLMAO:

Every major operating system requires frequent updates. Windows simply tells you when it's happening.

The freedom to use whatever hardware you like can add a few more.

If you buy junk, it's going to run like junk. That's freedom. You're free to buy a toaster full of bloatware that runs Windows for $9.99.

Just don't try to compare that to a $2,500 Macbook.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Every major operating system requires frequent updates. Windows simply tells you when it's happening.

The freedom to use whatever hardware you like can add a few more.

If you buy junk, it's going to run like junk. That's freedom. You're free to buy a toaster full of bloatware that runs Windows for $9.99.

Just don't try to compare that to a $2,500 Macbook.

The Eurodyne application also required updates every time I tried to use it...haha.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
The ability to fine tune yourself and use the sliders is priceless to me. But not everyone needs that or would even use it to the potential of its intent but we sure do ;)

Same.. I love being able to self tune. I'm about to make some tweaks right after I hit the reply button. =)

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I trained a monkey to drive my car for weight reduction. He prefers 60 rolls
Any big difference on the street between big dog E is38 and the hybrid 40-120?

We're starting to slowly learn that even on e and mpi there really isnt that much difference up to 120. Even with almost a full second difference 60-130 times well still be dead even to 5th gear where the is38 dies HARD.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
We were promised a permanent spot at the last shop and we ended up basically put in a corner and stuck working weird hours to appease the building owner and other business that didn’t like our loud cars on the dyno(which was out in the open with zero sound proofing because we weren’t given the space originally promised to us).

The shop we moved into last year was sold and rent skyrocketed with basically zero notice. We had to balance finding a new shop, finishing up multiple large builds on cars already started, answering emails/phone calls, dealing with a sketchy new landlord showing up unannounced, tuning multiple cars on the dyno per day, and all other daily shop stuff. It all adds up.

The last couple months we had to move EVERYTHING we own. Dyno, lifts, welder, tools, parts, 15+ cars in various states of being built, etc. It’s been rough to say the least.

I’m not looking for pity or making excuses, just want to provide some context on our situation. All of our personal cars we’d love to spend time building are on hold and will continue to be until we catch up and are back to normal operation.

Sometimes stuff slips through and things get delayed. Thankfully we’re getting closer to where we want to be. We appreciate everyone that’s been patient and understanding of our situation throughout this, and hope we can make everyone happy moving forward.

The best thing 5150 could do in that case was inform their etune customers of the situation. I'm sure that being more upfront about your temporary hardships would have gone a long way in keeping your etune customers satisfied. We are all human and most of the time will be very understanding. But proper communication and keeping folks appraised of the situation is key.

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie
This happened to me in 2017. Got my money back through Amex. Happened to multiple people. So many threads about this. Some have been locked, some deleted. It's a known issue with 5150. Takes your money, over promise, under deliver.
Unfortunately I read the threads, and saw 5150 pop into the threads, own the delays/issues and seemed to rectify them. Even providing context as to why there were delays, and how they would be remedied.

I asked a few questions via email that were always responded to in a day or two at most, and right before ordering, I got 6 emails in a single day.

The SECOND I paid for the etunes, that level of communication never happened again. I was given a base tune that threw multiple codes and put my car in limp mode. I wrote Jon, tried different gas (including adding E and race gas). I explained the issues in detail and eventually (~2 weeks later) got a revised map. That map resulted in even worse surging, CEL's, and disabled cruise control. It was requested that I not share datalogs, so I'll honor that; however I will say the issues seemed to be related to a "sawtooth" timing approach that oscillated +-20 degrees between 1,800 RPM and stopped around 3,000 RPM. It made driving unbearable, and the car threw codes related to throttle plate issues and a few others... These issues were not present on Cobb OTS, or the EQT tune I'm running now (and obviously the final timing map is much smoother).

For grins, I did throw some race gas at it and take it to the drag strip. The 3rd revision trapped the exact same as Cobb's Stage 3 OTS 91 octane tune (110 MPH).

After ~3 months and 3 map revisions, I contested the charges with Paypal and won. Learned my lesson, never again.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
yea actually all of 2018-2019 was always in limbo due to the nature of the situation we were in in the old buildings
The 18 move was because the landlord raised the rent $3000 a month (more) with 7 days notice.
the 2019 situation was in limbo all year because of the owners of the building trying to sell it, which they did, and we had to move.

There's many more details to it, however the market here being 1% availability and 1% of that allowing automotive makes it hard to just "MOVE"

We had to dyno from 5pm-1am because we shared a building with another business that complained about the noise.
Ive made that abundantly clear to everyone.

i decided not to vend on this forum when they swapped to paid vendors until the situation was sorted and back on track.
2020 is shaping up to be much better, after things are sorted at the shop and stable, we will probably get back to par time etunes

So you're confirming the bad experiences people had with the reasons for those experiences. What people are saying is that you should have been upfront about your businesses issues and stopped taking money for things that you couldn't deliver, even if they were outside of your control. That's it. Bad stuff can happen to good people, we all get that, but as a business, you should have adjusted, been upfront, and stopped doing etunes if you couldn't support them. Coming in here and throwing shade on those that had a bad experience doesn't help your business moving forward.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
So you're confirming the bad experiences people had with the reasons for those experiences. What people are saying is that you should have been upfront about your businesses issues and stopped taking money for things that you couldn't deliver, even if they were outside of your control. That's it. Bad stuff can happen to good people, we all get that, but as a business, you should have adjusted, been upfront, and stopped doing etunes if you couldn't support them. Coming in here and throwing shade on those that had a bad experience doesn't help your business moving forward.
I realize not everyone has Facebook(I don’t anymore, 2 weeks Facebook sober!), but everything was laid out and discussed/explained in the 5150 e tune Facebook group. Jon was very upfront and honest in that group. Does suck if a customer wasn’t aware or part of that group, though