GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

5150 Will take your money and not give you a tune.

Navi

Autocross Champion
yeah.. I've seen this with a couple businesses... Especially one local to me that has many supporters and perfect google reviews but I personally know at least 10 people who have bad work including a car coming in perfectly fine and leaving undriveable, requiring a tow truck. This local business also owes my friend money and will not reply to him.

I feel there are a lot of bad experiences out there but people are afraid to communicate it because of some fear of retaliation or in hopes that the business will do right by them later on (which is rarely the case).

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Bullshit

So your motto is as long as I am served I dont care how he treats his customers? (y)

Actually not bullshit..he lost the lease on his building and had to physically move (project cars, lifts, dyno, tools, etc)... His new shop isn't operational yet and the dyno isn't setup yet, at least the last time I asked.

Also, I know many people who are dyno tuned and etuned by 5150...We have a facebook group. And I just recommended 5150 to one of my very good friends so I do care how he treats his customers...

This might look like I'm a Fanboy...hopefully not. I never met Jon before March 2019 and this is the only car I've tuned with him. Just reporting my experience as these threads are mostly one-sided...that's all.

Last edited:

Navi

Autocross Champion
I know a couple people that have had good service by 5150, but again, all of those people are local and did the dyno tuning in house. The etuning seems like a money grab with not much after thought.

And about losing the lease. No one ever loses a lease. They decide not to renew it for whatever reason. I would not agree that is a valid excuse. I have multiple friends that own restaurants in NYC and it is a very hard business due to the city restaurant and health regulations AND real estate regarding rising rent/leases. But they plan appropriately in a way that they can carry on business and maintain their customers. I know restaurants and mechanics are not apples to apples but my point is about the lease. You know when your lease starts and when it ends, so you plan accordingly. Maybe stop taking on extra business during the move and leaving customers hanging at the same time?

Navi

Autocross Champion
How did they LOSE the lease on the building?

exactly my point. No one ever loses it. It ends. As stated in the contract you sign in the beginning.

and anyways, has this move been a perpetual 2018 to 2019 move? :LOL:

vw671

Autocross Newbie
exactly my point. No one ever loses it. It ends. As stated in the contract you sign in the beginning.

I don't know for sure since I didnt know him back in 2018 but I suspect that the last location was always meant to be a temporary solution until a more permanent location could be found. From my understanding they were only at the last location for about a year or so.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I know a couple people that have had good service by 5150, but again, all of those people are local and did the dyno tuning in house. The etuning seems like a money grab with not much after thought.

And about losing the lease. No one ever loses a lease. They decide not to renew it for whatever reason. I would not agree that is a valid excuse. I have multiple friends that own restaurants in NYC and it is a very hard business due to the city restaurant and health regulations AND real estate regarding rising rent/leases. But they plan appropriately in a way that they can carry on business and maintain their customers. I know restaurants and mechanics are not apples to apples but my point is about the lease. You know when your lease starts and when it ends, so you plan accordingly. Maybe stop taking on extra business during the move and leaving customers hanging at the same time?

As mentioned previously I have a friend in Phoenix that is very happy with the etunes he has from 5150. And lots of businesses lose their lease especially when their lease is up for renewal and the landlord ups the price a lot.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

5150 fanboy here. Not defending the situation, which I would be upset about too. Context is- moved shops twice, and as someone who has had Jon tune his car twice and talked/been around him for hours at a time, the dude doesn't have enough hours in the day. He tunes cars on his dyno all night long. People are dropping cars off to work/tunes/etc. all night long. Race cars, customer cars, whatever. He jumps in one car to the next- GTR to Mk7 to Evos. All. night. long.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
This might look like I'm a Fanboy...hopefully not. I never met Jon before March 2019 and this is the only car I've tuned with him. Just reporting my experience as these threads are mostly one-sided...that's all.

I think that is due to most of the members, on this forum, that have gone with 5150 have been screwed one way or another.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
5150 fanboy here. Not defending the situation, which I would be upset about too. Context is- moved shops twice, and as someone who has had Jon tune his car twice and talked/been around him for hours at a time, the dude doesn't have enough hours in the day. He tunes cars on his dyno all night long. People are dropping cars off to work/tunes/etc. all night long. Race cars, customer cars, whatever. He jumps in one car to the next- GTR to Mk7 to Evos. All. night. long.

So does Ed from EQT and his customer service destroys Jon's.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So does Ed from EQT and his customer service destroys Jon's.

I haven't used either one but from just reading the forum I would say that EQT has tremendous customer support. I've asked Ed questions in the forum and he's always answered them and I do hope to get a remote dyno tune from him as soon as I find a local place with a dyno that would do it.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

Don't take people's money if you can't deliver product in a satisfactory way. This could all be an innocent time management problem, but it could also be a sort of ponzi scheme. Imagine if Uber drivers could just collect up front and you couldn't see how far away they were? How about if they collect up front and never show up?

Last edited:

5150 Racing

Ready to race!
yea actually all of 2018-2019 was always in limbo due to the nature of the situation we were in in the old buildings
The 18 move was because the landlord raised the rent $3000 a month (more) with 7 days notice.
the 2019 situation was in limbo all year because of the owners of the building trying to sell it, which they did, and we had to move.

There's many more details to it, however the market here being 1% availability and 1% of that allowing automotive makes it hard to just "MOVE"

We had to dyno from 5pm-1am because we shared a building with another business that complained about the noise.
Ive made that abundantly clear to everyone.

i decided not to vend on this forum when they swapped to paid vendors until the situation was sorted and back on track.
2020 is shaping up to be much better, after things are sorted at the shop and stable, we will probably get back to par time etunes

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Don't take people's money if you can't deliver product in a satisfactory way. This could all be an innocent time management problem, but it could also be a sort of ponzi scheme. Imagine if Uber drivers could just collect up front and you couldn't see how far away they were? How about if they collect up front and never show up?
I believe it's the former. 5150 has been around for a while and is very well regarded in the GTR, Evo, and mk7 community. He's obviously not stealing people's money and not giving them anything, as evidenced by the OP receiving a part of his tune(s). A more apt analogy would be paying upfront for an Uber and they drop you off halfway there. haha.