GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cat backs -2

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah dp changes things--much louder. Some people are able to live with de-cat non-res + sport mufflers, not me with this car anyway. I'm happy to walk the line between obnoxious and actually hearing the exhaust in-car, more about feeling it in the car than advertising my presence to others.

DaRock1459

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 VW Golf R
I know Remus isn't one of your options, but I've been satisfied with the exhaust (resonated) matched to my IE downpipe. it's not super loud when valves are closed, but gets aggressive (not obnoxiously, IMO) when valves are open.

I would expect Milltek would be similar. Milltek also offers another resonator option that offers a middle option between non-res and the EC approved version (quieter). https://www.millteksport.com/road-centre-silencer-ssxau619.html

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
I know Remus isn't one of your options, but I've been satisfied with the exhaust (resonated) matched to my IE downpipe. it's not super loud when valves are closed, but gets aggressive (not obnoxiously, IMO) when valves are open.

I would expect Milltek would be similar. Milltek also offers another resonator option that offers a middle option between non-res and the EC approved version (quieter). https://www.millteksport.com/road-centre-silencer-ssxau619.html
Remus yes, it's an option. I assume these resonated + valved systems are pretty similar in quality and sound. Price, availability, and tip options will play more of a role in a purchase decision.

DaRock1459

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 VW Golf R
Remus yes, it's an option. I assume these resonated + valved systems are pretty similar in quality and sound. Price, availability, and tip options will play more of a role in a purchase decision.
You might reach out to michael@remususa to see if he can get you competitive pricing on an exhaust. I went through him on my purchase.

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R

I’ve got the Road+ (ssxau619) installed and have been very happy with it. No drone and noticeably louder than the resonator which comes with the Milltek systems normally. Even though it’s louder than the default resonator, it’s still one of the quieter aftermarket cat-back exhausts.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
I have the APR valved and it sounds really good to me. I have about 22k miles on it so far.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
This is what I’ve been planning to build for MQB R for years, but not one single R owner has made their car available for development.

For a valved exhaust to work effectively it needs to have flow priority to the valve open position. For it not to drone, it needs a proper resonator (not just what’ll fit easily).

GTI-G

Passed Driver's Ed
Stock dp with AWE switchpath sounds pretty good actually. Deeper meaner tone but not overly loud or obnoxious.

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
Well I ended up buying a nice used APR valved, resonated cat back off a fellow forum member. So, went from aftermarket catted dp + res-delete-> stock muffler, to same catted dp-> APR system. The APR system came with a remote valve fob which makes it imo--you can force the valves open or closed. Valves closed is similar in social disruption to before. Valves forced open is another story-pretty raucous in comparison, especially with a crack file in Sport mode. I like it.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
From what I've read it seems like having both catback and downpipe without a res makes it too loud for people that wants to keep it within reasonable decibels. I bought an AWE catback since I heard it was a deep sound but very mild. I'm worried when I add a DP as there aren't alot of resonated options and almost everyone I talked to said DP + catback = too loud.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I felt DP and APR resonated catback was too loud. I ended up putting my stock catback - the center resonator back on. Then a little while later put the center resonator back in....

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
With the valves forced open on my APR it is definitely louder than my previous setup in every way. Valves closed is about the same volume. If you’re concerned about being too loud invest in a resonator + valved muffler with remote valve control .

fuelforfire87

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
With the valves forced open on my APR it is definitely louder than my previous setup in every way. Valves closed is about the same volume. If you’re concerned about being too loud invest in a resonator + valved muffler with remote valve control .
What downpipe are you running? I'm debating between the AMS and Cobb as i need a downpipe with a GESI cat to pass emissions in my state.